Nintendo DS 73%  73%  [ 16 ]
Playstation Portable 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 22

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 8:13 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
I found it far, far slower than with regular controls. There's no way to scroll around the screen, no way to unselect something fast, no way to go to the next unit, etc.

Actually, you can scroll around the screen by dragging the stylus to the edge of the screen. I've had no trouble with unselecting a unit, although I guess clicking outside of a range takes more work that just pressing a button. I didn't know there was a way to select the next unit though, other than moving the cursor over it.

Wolfpup wrote:
Plus the game was just plain bad anyway-a shallow deathmatch game carrying the Metroid name :x

I agree, Metroid shouldn't be a FPS. I hate FPS, but I love Metroid. I did read the original Metroid Prime games for the GC were less FPS-like, though.

Wolfpup wrote:
The touch screen isn't very accurate, is really cramped, only responds to one input at a time, etc. It's just basically a gimmick. 2 1/2 years and I can't think of one real, expansive game that's used it to any benefit. I'd gladly trade it in for an analog stick.

I don't think the touch screen is a gimmick unless it's used that way by developers, but I would have liked an analog stick on the DS too. It's limiting developers from doing a lot of the 3D genres.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 9:35 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Wolfpup wrote:
I found it far, far slower than with regular controls. There's no way to scroll around the screen, no way to unselect something fast, no way to go to the next unit, etc.

Actually, you can scroll around the screen by dragging the stylus to the edge of the screen. I've had no trouble with unselecting a unit, although I guess clicking outside of a range takes more work that just pressing a button. I didn't know there was a way to select the next unit though, other than moving the cursor over it.

It's way, way slower to scroll the screen or deselect a unit (not to mention less acurate), so why bother even implementing those controls? I would have quit playing after the first level or two if they didn't retain the real controls.

Quote:
I agree, Metroid shouldn't be a FPS. I hate FPS, but I love Metroid. I did read the original Metroid Prime games for the GC were less FPS-like, though.

Yeah, they're not (at least not the first one, I haven't gotten to play the second). They're by a much better developer too, and the first one I thought was remarkably good (I was expecting a disaster, given how poorly most 2D games translate to 3D). It kind of ticks me off that they would slap the Metroid name on a deathmatch game-and a bad one at that.