Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 10:42 pm

So, I'm a bagger at a big grocery store, I'm 16 years old, this is my 1st job and I've been working there for almost 4 months. Especially as of late, I am so upset at how often I'm being scheduled on friday/saturday/sunday, compared to the weekdays. There are 2 reasons for that:

1. I have a friend that I only get to see on the weekends. He's my only friend, and he goes to the school that I used to go to in my 7th and 8th grade year and lives across town.

2. Working that much in a 3 day time span wears me down

This weekend, I work on friday from 4:15 PM-7:30, Saturday from 9 AM-1:30 PM, and Sunday from 4-7:45 PM

Then next weekend, It's even worse:

Friday: 4:15-8(They seriously had to tack on an extra 30 minutes for no reason?)

Saturday: 8:30AM-2(5 and a half hours. Way past my comfort level. They don't want a worn down version of me working for them)

Sunday: 4:45-8PM

They could give me all those hours during those 3 days, but they could never schedule me Monday-Thursday. That's pretty pathetic in my opinion

I understand the fact that more courtesey people are needed on the weekends. I actually like working on 4 hour shifts on saturdays, but I have a serious issue for when they schedule me THAT much on the weekends, and never schedule me on weeknights. Doing something like bagging can wear me down easily, and the person who schedules me has no understanding of how worn down I get from having all those shifts during that time of the week. It's just as frusturating when it's also taking away my only time I can see my only friend.

You can call it laziness or whatever, but the flip side to it is that I'm under enough stress as is with school, and I need to be mentally rested for both school and work. And my shifts being clustered together does not help with it at all. With all that said, what should I do about it? I'm not one to complain about stuff like this to their faces, and I obviously don't wanna ruin my reputation, But until I'm done with school, I can't be having such a workload on the weekends. I can handle one day on the weekend, or I can even do something like friday and Sunday(which is what I got one time), but not back to back on the weekend. I'm getting tired of it.

nomad42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2017, 12:51 am

Would this be a Hy-Vee grocery store? most retail,restaurant jobs do pile on for the weekend, and the older employees who work the early weekday shifts mostly never leave.

RV Winkle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2017, 10:46 pm

My first job at 15 was bagging groceries. I hated weekday work, getting home from school and going straight to work was exhausting at first but got used to it You could look for a place to work that is closed on Sundays. I worked in grocery stores till I was 27 and working Friday, Saturday and Sunday was par for the course. After you have had the job 6 months you would be well within your right to start shopping around for something that is a better fit. Grocery store work is hard (physically) don't do it longer than you have to. Good luck!

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2017, 12:26 pm

It sounds to me that you should just quit. Your school is the most important thing, and having a job at your age isn't really important. You won't have any money, but you can earn a few bucks mowing lawns or cleaning for people.

Anon_92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 May 2017, 9:38 am

Tell the manager or owner "are you going to do something useful with me or just let me bag groceries?" Than quit or get promoted etc... try working in the deli in any open position... they won't give it to you.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 5:02 pm

Well you might need to consider looking for a different job with more compatible hours, or maybe taking a break from working, if its too much while still in school.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2017, 5:27 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
So, I'm a bagger at a big grocery store, I'm 16 years old, this is my 1st job and I've been working there for almost 4 months. Especially as of late, I am so upset at how often I'm being scheduled on friday/saturday/sunday, compared to the weekdays. There are 2 reasons for that:

1. I have a friend that I only get to see on the weekends. He's my only friend, and he goes to the school that I used to go to in my 7th and 8th grade year and lives across town.

This weekend, I work on friday from 4:15 PM-7:30, Saturday from 9 AM-1:30 PM, and Sunday from 4-7:45 PM

Friday: 4:15-8(They seriously had to tack on an extra 30 minutes for no reason?)

Saturday: 8:30AM-2(5 and a half hours. Way past my comfort level. They don't want a worn down version of me working for them)

They could give me all those hours during those 3 days, but they could never schedule me Monday-Thursday. That's pretty pathetic in my opinion

I understand the fact that more courtesey people are needed on the weekends. I actually like working on 4 hour shifts on saturdays, but I have a serious issue for when they schedule me THAT much on the weekends, and never schedule me on weeknights. Doing something like bagging can wear me down easily, and the person who schedules me has no understanding of how worn down I get from having all those shifts during that time of the week. It's just as frusturating when it's also taking away my only time I can see my only friend.

You can call it laziness or whatever, but the flip side to it is that I'm under enough stress as is with school, and I need to be mentally rested for both school and work. And my shifts being clustered together does not help with it at all. With all that said, what should I do about it? I'm not one to complain about stuff like this to their faces, and I obviously don't wanna ruin my reputation, But until I'm done with school, I can't be having such a workload on the weekends. I can handle one day on the weekend, or I can even do something like friday and Sunday(which is what I got one time), but not back to back on the weekend. I'm getting tired of it.

If you don't like the conditions of the job you have the right to quit.

What are you going to complain about them hiring you to pay you to do a job? You want your own hours at your own Convenience start your own company.

Can't find a way to make money yourself? Then you have two choices

Quit. And go to college to get into debt for life and get a useless degree in art, gender studies or liberal arts and wonder why you can't get a good job

Keep working and gain the experience you need and maybe go into college or trade school and get a degree or training for something in demand for.

nomad42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Sep 2017, 9:23 pm

nomad42 wrote:
Would this be a Hy-Vee grocery store? most retail,restaurant jobs do pile on for the weekend, and the older employees who work the early weekday shifts mostly never leave.

I did the Hy-Vee thing when I was 19 it was horrible, I kept shifting my hours and no matter what time or day it sucked.I wasn't going to school at the time so they would keep me over putting stuff away until midnight or 1 even if the shift ended at 11. the day shift would have me on pickup for two hours straight in the cold. and the shifts would be 4-call which means get dressed and ready and call in at 4 to see what they need you to work.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 10:34 am

Well, OP, I salute you for working a job while still in high school. I didn't, which helped me concentrate on graduating, but on the flip side it was really hard to get a job after high school since I was basically competing with people who had a work history.

Retail boggles my mind though. I have no idea why, but most retail stores, and fast food outlets according to a friend of mine, never stick to one set schedule. Rather, they like to change around their shifts every week, and most don't even offer a convenient way to check the schedule, so one has to go in and check it on their day off. Don't get me started on being "called in" on your days off. Having shifts that change every week is exhausting, and I can image it's a pain for those who have to draft up a schedule every week too.

It's usually the management or someone of a similarly high position, and I'm sure they have better things to do than take the time to write a new schedule every week when they don't have to. If they just wrote up one schedule that worked for all employees and only drafted a new one when employees changed around or needed to switch up their availability, things would be a lot simpler. Heck, they probably wouldn't have to write up a whole new schedule. They could just make some modifications here and there as needed. It would save time and effort on both ends, and it would put an end to this "getting called in" BS, except in the occasional emergency situation, like if someone calls in sick. I know there are retail outlets that do operate in a sensible manner. Best Buy was sensible when I worked for them. There are just so many others that operate on this varying schedule BS that it defies all logic.

Darkrose50
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Sep 2017, 1:01 pm

Find a job with better hours. They are out there. I worked in a Grocery Store for too long in college. I should have been doing tech support, or mowing lawns.

My wife worked in her junior universities' art gallery (~age 19-20). She was able to do her homework while getting paid.

Mowing lawns is some serious money. Find 3-4 lawns to mow and I bet you may be making more cash than bagging groceries. You can also normally set your own [daytime] hours [no one wants someone mowing a lawn at 3 AM].

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 1:35 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:

Ugh, I know how you feel. I used to work Saturday night shifts at the gas station. 6pm-12am and I'd have to watch all the young people coming in all dolled up to grab food and whatever before they went out to party. You need a day off at the weekends to rest and recuperate. Ask for Sundays off if you can. I know it's easier said than done. My bosses wouldn't reduce my hours, so in the end I quit. I only had a month or two of school left, though, but I realised studying for exams was more important.

You should do what will enable you to get by with your sanity intact, but don't necessarily assume that because it's difficult now, it will always be difficult. You could get used to working that many days and it may no longer be an issue. Maybe try sticking it out for another 3 months, and if you still feel awful about it, then speak to your boss.

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2017, 11:40 am

CubsBullsBears wrote:

This certainly sounds like Hy-Vee and they are bad to work for. I did some time with them years ago and they were like a creepy cult (and no, they are NOT employee-owned like they say they are). Bagging, furthermore, is legitimately hard work; my first job working for someone else was bagging groceries for a now closed grocery store and that was like a gauntlet. I'd focus more on school and leave them, personally, especially if you aren't desperate for money. At 16 most companies won't schedule you for anything more than weekends work; at 17 you probably will get more hours to your liking (that's what I ran into at 16 and 17). I don't agree with it but that's how they function and most jobs in your teens will suck to begin with. Personally, I'd try to earn money on the side and dump Hy-Vee's nonsense. School is more important if you ask me. I don't think you're lazy at all for wanting to be fully rested for school; high school is stressful (I've been there before in a school district that was NOT the nicest in the world) for anyone let alone a teenager.

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Sep 2017, 2:44 am

its time to either quit or talk to your manager to tell him maybe going down to one day a week because your getting overwhelmed with the work. if he knows you have aspergers/autism then he would understand.

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2017, 8:11 pm

That schedule is pretty standard for part time low skilled work. It's almost always going to be nights and weekends only. As someone who had a grocery job in high school it's a waste of time. I could never make any plans they will not tell me when I work and they expected me to available all the time and became annoyed at school or any attempt at plans. Sorry you don't pay me near enough to buy my time. Maybe a bad attitude to have at a first job but I was always thinking of better things.

You are better off seeing friends and not worrying about a small pay check if you don't have to. In 20 years will you remember the friends or the ice cream you bagged? Worry about college and getting a real job. And that job really does not care about a grocery clerk job or if you had one. How does that job help you in the real world? It does not besides maybe proving you can be hired but in my opinion your college grades help that more.