What are some good pixel art programs for Linux/Wine?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 8:52 am

I want to get into doing pixel art, but most drawing and image editing programs are focused on doing high resolution images. I'd like something easy to use focused on extremely low-resolution images, preferably with a visible grid and extremely large "pixels". Features conducive to spriting, like palette indexes and cycling, would be really cool too.

Anyone know of any Linux programs that would suit my needs, or at the very least Windows programs that are known to run well under Wine?

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2017, 5:33 pm

Have you tried using GIMP? It's freeware, and can easily be configured to show a grid.

http://imgur.com/a/yIr1z

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2017, 10:07 am

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2017, 8:27 pm

RushKing wrote:

This is exactly the type of tool I'm looking for. A bit pricy for me right now, but I'll definitely look into the trial so I can give it a try.

EDIT: Interesting, it sounds like the source is free to download and compile. Maybe it's on the AUR! ;)

EDIT2: It is! It's a slightly outdated version, but since I'm compiling the source code myself, it's effectively free. https://www.aseprite.org/faq/#if-asepri ... selling-it

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 10:13 pm

Grafx2 is a pretty good one, if you don't mind the retro looking user interface. It's not as advanced as Photoshop or GIMP, but it's great for making sprites and pixel art.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 10:43 pm

saxgeek wrote:
Grafx2 is a pretty good one, if you don't mind the retro looking user interface. It's not as advanced as Photoshop or GIMP, but it's great for making sprites and pixel art.

I might have to give that one a try too. Having a retro UI is actually a plus for me.