Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 2:05 pm

The Controversy Around Autism and Neurodiversity Our community's success with self advocacy raises new issues for all

Quote:
our public health agencies continue to invest the majority of our autism research dollars in basic biology and genetics, despite the fact that we have pressing needs for support that are not addressed by those lines of investigation. I’ve often made the case that we need more therapies to help us function and fit in, and we need effective treatments for the many medical issues that come with autism. We also need to recognize how little we have achieved with respect to addressing the core symptoms of autism in its most debilitating forms, and put more effort into studies that lead to better quality of life for those people today and tomorrow, as opposed to a generation from now.

What’s the fix for these things? The simple answer is, ask autistic people and listen to the answers. How I wish it were that easy! When we answer in ten different voices with what seem like mutually exclusive demands we make it easier for those who might help to do nothing or to do the wrong thing.

United we will succeed. Divided we continue to falter.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GreenAsparagus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2017, 2:54 pm

Good article! I especially liked this bit

Quote:
Many autistics believe that autism is an inborn neurological difference, and as such, is not subject to cure. To those of us who hold that view, the healthiest path is to accept the way we are and make the best life we can. Other autistics reject that idea and hold on to the hope for a cure.

I believe we can hold both views. In many conversations, I have heard how one person’s definition of “cure” seems identical to my definition of “relief of suffering or disability.” In my opinion, we should all support relief of suffering. No one should live in fear of epileptic seizures, or suffer from debilitating anxiety or intestinal pain. We should all support the development of technologies that help nonspeaking autistics communicate with the wider world. We should also support the development of therapies to help autistic people organize their lives, make friends, and engage society.

There are a lot of knee-jerk responses to the word "cure", and I like how he shows it's worth hearing each other out on just what exactly they mean when they say "cure".

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 3:52 pm

This is a very sensible outlook. It would be easier to cope with being different if you didn't have the added burden of serious associated medical problems to deal with. Seizures would be especially scary.