Autistic 10 year old jailed for kicking para professional

Page 2 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 1:00 pm

The child has ostensible, legal rights, above-and-beyond those of the teacher, to use traditional methods. So, the use of force was outsourced, from the school district, in order to avoid liability. Whether or not we agree with their choices, the administrators had a kind of reasoning.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 4:02 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
friedmacguffins wrote:
Being autistic is not the same thing as being bad. I think the condition and the behavior should be considered separately.

Well even if a 10 year old is intentionally acting out/being bad...jail time and a criminal sentence doesn't seem the best solution.

I smell paper trail to get this kid into something like residential treatment center or out of the gen ed population.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 4:19 pm

I'm not even going to pretend I bothered to read the article. The headline is enough. My thoughts-

Kicking people is not inherently part of autism.
That having been said, when did we become a society that thought putting cuffs on a ten-year-old was a solution to a behavioral problem? A ten-year-old who kicks people should have their parents called at work to come down and meet with the school. A school counselor should become involved. The kid should suffer loss of recess and have to bang out erasers for a certain length of time.

If the kid continues to be a problem or becomes a bigger problem, then it's time to get social services involved to consider home life, and if home life is OK, it's time to consider alternative learning environments.

Those were all solutions for that problem when I was growing up. Those solutions definitely made more sense than putting cuffs on a ten-year-old kid for kicking.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 7:05 pm

It's a CYA thing mostly for civil liability. The school doesn't want to touch this anymore than they have to so they pass it off to the cops. The cops cuff him because if they don't and the kid hurts himself or anyone else they will be negligent for not properly restraining him. That's the world we live in... :(

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 3:52 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
10-YEAR-OLD FLORIDA BOY WITH AUTISM ARRESTED AT SCHOOL

Quote:
A 10-year-old child with autism was handcuffed, put in a police car and taken from his school before spending the night in jail.

The boy's mom, Louanne Haygood, captured the incident and posted it to Facebook.

The sheriff's office says her son John was arrested for felony battery on a school board authority.

Louanne says he kicked a para-professional at his school last year. She knows he has a troubled history in school, but says his behavior is a result of his autism.

Welcome the United Police States of America, with the biggest for profit prison system in the world. Got to keep those jail cells filled, one way or another. At least they didn't shoot the kid, beat him up, or teaser him.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 4:24 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
Being autistic is not the same thing as being bad. I think the condition and the behavior should be considered separately.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well even if a 10 year old is intentionally acting out/being bad...jail time and a criminal sentence doesn't seem the best solution.

Tawaki wrote:
I smell paper trail to get this kid into something like residential treatment center or out of the gen ed population.

Quotas for vaccines and psychiatric medicines have been reported, over the years. There are grants for emergency housing. Why not a treatment center.

I am not saying that authoritarianism is always ethical, btw.

I am just saying that everything happens for a reason.

Don't be that reason.

I have always hiked and mountain biked, as a much larger person, even maxed-out leg machines, at the gym, and try to add more weights. This is just a kid. But, the first thing that occurs to me, is, kicking someone is dangerous. He is not realistically some killing machine. It just seems like something unnatural and wrong, to physically-assault someone, from my perspective. In general, I feel like it is easy to break things.

From his perspective, maybe, it is like picking something up with your toes, or nudging something, with your foot. Maybe, it doesn't seem as consequential, if you're just a little person.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 10:55 pm

Why would they arrest a 10 year old kid? He's 10! You mean to seriously tell me police needed to handcuff a kid.

What is with this world!? When I was a kid, the principal was going to hit me with a belt, I grabbed the belt and threatened to whip him,
nobody called the police, they called my mother.

Police arresting kids... kind of make you afraid to call 911 when you're in trouble.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2017, 12:00 am

I kicked one of my teachers when I was about his age, and all I got was an in school suspension. What the f**k has happened to the system?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2017, 5:38 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Claradoon wrote:
What's a paraprofessional? There are paramedics, paralegals.

In this case I think it means a jump qualified teacher..
ROFLMAO! :lol:

NO!

The issue is that school kids are only supposed to kick full professionals. Grown ups who are only paraprofessionals just arent qualified to take you on in a fair fight! :D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 1:02 am

0regonGuy wrote:

Welcome the United Police States of America, with the biggest for profit prison system in the world. Got to keep those jail cells filled, one way or another. At least they didn't shoot the kid, beat him up, or teaser him.

In autism arrest, the only thing new was the video

David M. Perry is professor of history at Dominican University in Illinois. He writes regularly on his blog: How Did We Get Into This Mess? Follow him on Twitter. The opinions expressed in this commentary are his.

Quote:
If the video shocks you, and it should, imagine how often children with autism or other disabilities are being arrested in situations where there's no video, no parent present and no viral outrage. If teachers, administrators, and cops continue to criminalize children for violating what I have come to call a "cult of compliance," punishing them for acting in ways that come naturally, how can we decriminalize disability?

Last October, the boy -- John Benjamin Haygood -- was being disruptive and allegedly hit, kicked and scratched his teacher's aide on three separate occasions, according to an incident report from the Okeechobee County Sheriff's Office in Florida.
The report says that John expressed frustration over his work being too hard and that he needed more help but his aide wasn't helping him enough. During the second incident, the report says that John's father alleged that the aide had pinched his son. John was throwing paper balls, allegedly hitting other children, and refused to go on timeout. When his aide tried to remove him from the class, John hit and kicked at him, the report says.
At the time of the third incident on November 1, his aide decided to press charges. Recently in a statement, the aide said that he only pressed the charges to "get [John's] mother to realize he needs additional help." He's indicated that he may drop the charges, claiming the lesson has been learned. But the trauma resulting from the arrest, charges or not, won't quickly fade. It is unclear why the 10-year-old was now being arrested, six months after the incident. His mother said that she was not notified of any charges or warrants out for her son's arrest.

As the video went viral this week, I called up several experts. Matthew Dietz, a disability rights lawyer in Florida, told me that disabled students being arrested for disciplinary offenses are all too common.
For example, "I represent a 6-year-old who was arrested and held in a psych unit for 72 hours and placed in seclusion," he said. "So the only thing surprising is it (the Florida incident) was on video."
Dietz said he is worried about the school-to-prison pipeline. "For many children," he told me, "use of police and detention facilities for minor behavioral issues leads to a life involved with the criminal justice system."

Finn Gardiner, a graduate student who is autistic and studying at Brandeis University's Heller School, similarly emphasized how common these incidents are.
"Usually," he said, "when you hear about these kinds of cases, (the kids) are black or Latino." He said that disabled youth of all races are disproportionately "more likely to get suspended, likely to be expelled from school, likely to have negative contact with school resource officers (cops in school) and more likely to be sent to 'juvenile justice.'"
The data backs this up. A Center for Public Integrity study found that although about 14% of all Florida students have disabilities, they make up 19% of all arrests.
However, the state is far from having the worst percentage. Disabled students in Delaware make up nearly 17% of the school system but amount to 34% of arrests. Nearly 20% of New Hampshire students are disabled, but they represent 39% percent of arrests.

Why are schools so reliant on law enforcement? Crane told me that she and other disability rights advocates are worried that schools are using law enforcement to sidestep compliance with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), which was passed to ensure that students with disabilities received appropriate services and education.
She said, "By referring a kid to law enforcement, the school can bypass IDEA's procedures for suspension and expulsion of kids with disabilities."
If a behavior is determined to be disability-related, the school must address it as an educational issue. But, she said, "There's no such requirement when referring a kid to law enforcement. Schools are actually telling teachers and paraprofessionals to press charges against students, in order to get the students out of their class."

boldings mine

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 8:01 am

Quote:
I represent a 6-year-old who was arrested and held in a psych unit for 72 hours and placed in seclusion

They jail (kidnap at gunpoint) teachers, who put the unruly kids in seclusion.

My first job was as an instructor, but I would refuse to work, under these conditions -- I mean, in legal jeopardy, where the kid can ruin your life.

Noone would willingly tolerate that, unless they thought they were going to thrown-out, on the street.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 5:38 pm

Boy goes before judge

Quote:
John Benjamin, 10, was arrested April 12 on a juvenile take and hold warrant charging him with battery on a school board employee — a third-degree felony. The boy was arrested on school grounds by Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Office (OCSO) deputies.

First, the boy was arrested on school grounds after having gone there to take a test even though he was currently under suspension.

Secondly, the arrest warrant was issued in November of 2016 after an incident in which the boy allegedly kicked and scratched a teacher. John Benjamin was suspended from school after that alleged incident.

A Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) representative then told Judge Bryant that John Benjamin is scheduled to have an intake hearing Monday, May 15. At that hearing John Benjamin and his family will be told about the services offered by DJJ that include therapy and counseling.

The family will then have the opportunity to sign a contract that will allow DJJ to provide these services to John Benjamin.

If they don’t sign the pact, John Benjamin will be back in Judge Bryant’s courtroom for docket call Thursday, May 25.

Said assistant state attorney Ashley Albright: “If the family doesn’t sign that contract, the boy will have to be back in court May 25 for docket call and a date will be set for a non-jury trial.”

The prosecutor went on to explain if the family enters into the pact with DJJ, he will drop the charge filed against the youngster.

“Most everyone does (sign the contract),” he continued. “It’s in their best interest because then he won’t have a criminal history.”

When talking about the incident that led to John Benjamin’s arrest, Mr. Albright said he has been able to document 55 incidents committed by the boy while in the Okeechobee school system.

“That’s only physical aggression against the other children or faculty,” he noted.

Some of the documented incidents include kicking, biting, spitting and punching.

The prosecutor then offered a few specific incidents.

• On one occasion, the boy kicked a male coach in the groin.

• The boy punched another student in the face.

• The boy stabbed another student with a pencil after he had just sharpened it and the pencil went through the other child’s jacket and punctured the skin.

• The boy intentionally stomped on a female teacher’s foot while wearing steel-toed boots and broke three of her toes. “Then, when she returned to work, he stomped on her same toes and said she deserved it,” said Mr. Albright.

• On two different occasions John Benjamin told teachers he was going to come back with a gun and kill them.

It has also been documented the boy was suspended from school for kicking and scratching para-professional Brandon Rose. After the child was suspended, Mr. Rose signed an agreement to drop the charges against John Benjamin on April 19.

That agreement, which was obtained by this newspaper on a public records request, stated Mr. Rose’s reason for dismissing the charge was because the boy “… is not in the classroom to where he may (be) a threat to other students.

“I pressed charges in order to get the ball rolling to get his mother to realize he needs additional help. I think it is now understood the additional help is needed. The students are back in a safe environment and the class can resume instruction.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 May 2017, 7:18 pm

The emphasis here shouldn't be on "autistic." It should be on whether he is dangerous to others in the class. It sounds like he is. He needs more than the school can provide and maybe now he'll get some real help.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 11:33 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Boy goes before judge

Quote:
John Benjamin, 10, was arrested April 12 on a juvenile take and hold warrant charging him with battery on a school board employee — a third-degree felony. The boy was arrested on school grounds by Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Office (OCSO) deputies.

First, the boy was arrested on school grounds after having gone there to take a test even though he was currently under suspension.

Secondly, the arrest warrant was issued in November of 2016 after an incident in which the boy allegedly kicked and scratched a teacher. John Benjamin was suspended from school after that alleged incident.

A Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) representative then told Judge Bryant that John Benjamin is scheduled to have an intake hearing Monday, May 15. At that hearing John Benjamin and his family will be told about the services offered by DJJ that include therapy and counseling.

The family will then have the opportunity to sign a contract that will allow DJJ to provide these services to John Benjamin.

If they don’t sign the pact, John Benjamin will be back in Judge Bryant’s courtroom for docket call Thursday, May 25.

Said assistant state attorney Ashley Albright: “If the family doesn’t sign that contract, the boy will have to be back in court May 25 for docket call and a date will be set for a non-jury trial.”

The prosecutor went on to explain if the family enters into the pact with DJJ, he will drop the charge filed against the youngster.

“Most everyone does (sign the contract),” he continued. “It’s in their best interest because then he won’t have a criminal history.”

When talking about the incident that led to John Benjamin’s arrest, Mr. Albright said he has been able to document 55 incidents committed by the boy while in the Okeechobee school system.

“That’s only physical aggression against the other children or faculty,” he noted.

Some of the documented incidents include kicking, biting, spitting and punching.

The prosecutor then offered a few specific incidents.

• On one occasion, the boy kicked a male coach in the groin.

• The boy punched another student in the face.

• The boy stabbed another student with a pencil after he had just sharpened it and the pencil went through the other child’s jacket and punctured the skin.

• The boy intentionally stomped on a female teacher’s foot while wearing steel-toed boots and broke three of her toes. “Then, when she returned to work, he stomped on her same toes and said she deserved it,” said Mr. Albright.

• On two different occasions John Benjamin told teachers he was going to come back with a gun and kill them.

It has also been documented the boy was suspended from school for kicking and scratching para-professional Brandon Rose. After the child was suspended, Mr. Rose signed an agreement to drop the charges against John Benjamin on April 19.

That agreement, which was obtained by this newspaper on a public records request, stated Mr. Rose’s reason for dismissing the charge was because the boy “… is not in the classroom to where he may (be) a threat to other students.

“I pressed charges in order to get the ball rolling to get his mother to realize he needs additional help. I think it is now understood the additional help is needed. The students are back in a safe environment and the class can resume instruction.”

When you first read autistic little boy arrested for kicking a teacher, it sounds outrageous.

Then when you read everything else he's done, it sounds probably deserved. And I would imagine part of the reason is to hopefully try teaching him that he's got a possible future of prison if he keeps it up.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 May 2017, 12:23 am

I take your point but I'm not sure about "deserved." Because I'm not a little boy, I'm an old woman, but if you take my meds away I turn into a fiend. Really. So I hope he'll find the right therapy and possibly meds to turn him into a decent human being. Maybe he's out of control, just like I was. He's certainly dangerous. Either you take him out of that school or you get rid of everybody else, for their own safety.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 3:03 am

I think him getting arrested wasn't that bad. He's not going to have a criminal record for it. I've know of kids who got picked up by the police just for not being in school. I noticed he didn't fight the cops, so I don't know how out of control he is. Maybe he's just a mean little brat.

Sorry kid, but that's what happens when you stab people and break their bones.