Autistic 10 year old jailed for kicking para professional

Page 4 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 12:28 pm

So where is Mama Bear now? Where's her righteous indignation that the TPTB are gunning for her child because he is really just misunderstood 10 year old.

*crickets* Figures. I knew she was full of s**t, because no school district justs calls the police to cuff kids. The district probably had three workmen's comp cases against this kid. They don't want to get sued by their staff.

My B.S. meter hit maxim compacity the first go around with this story. I truly hope she doesn't sign the paperwork. Mama Bear thinks it's all the school's fault that her son is having problems, so why kowtow to the man now?

Unless she signs the paper work and bales after two sessions. I can see her doing this too. Then she can have more poor drama momma click bait for her FB/GoFundMe/Weebly blog.

The two death threats alond would have had him expelled in my school district, even at 10.

This boy needs boat loads of help. Autism is the least of his worries. His mother sounds like a hot mess.

*I have a relative who is acts just like the boy's mom. It's all Mama Bear/BlogWarrior/FightThePower, and never got her kid any true help. The kid (young adult) is doing years in prison for auto theft and assault. The kid's issue was FASD. Mom never got him any real help, and totally denies the FASD.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 1:15 pm

I remember my husband and I were once talking about kids being arrested including those with disabilities and who have behavior and my husband's response was "if that is the only way to get them help, I approve of it." That makes so much sense to have a child arrested who have behavior because if that is the only way they can get help, play the system. Now I hope it doesn't go on their criminal record. I can't imagine being an adult and having to pay the price for my issues I had as a child which are no longer there.

Yes it's common for parents to blame the school on their kid's problems. If their kid is having a behavior and acting out, it's someone else's fault. Parents always want to see the best in their kids and tend to be bias about them. But sadly it makes it harder for other parents who do actually see reality and there are kids out there who do actually have behavior because of anxiety or because they are being abused in school or because they are not getting the education they need and the kid doesn't have the behavior at home because they are understood and they don't allow bullying in their household and their kids always get a consequence if they are mean to their siblings. I can understand now where my school was coming from when they thought my parents were seeing me with rose colored lens my therapist had to come to my school and she even told them this wasn't a me issue, this was their system issue. Then they pointed out to the video of me shoving a girl in her seat and my therapist said "she was provoked, that girl had been touching her and Beth had been ignoring it and pushing her hand off and that girl still kept at it." So parents out there who are having genuine issues with the school and their kid doesn't have a behavior, have their kid's therapist come to their school because surely they will listen to someone who has a PH D than to a parent. I can understand about the schools being jaded with parents who try to say their kid is only having a behavior because of their school system or because of other kids and trying to tell them how to deal with their child so the kid isn't having a behavior. There are parents out there who will let their kids be the boss and walk all over them because it's easier while the schools would refuse to do that so they would be too jaded to listen to the parents. If the child hadn't been seeing a therapist because the parents felt there was no need to if they can handle it themselves or because they can't afford a therapist, then they would have a problem with the school and trying to get them to understand their child and to have them listen to them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 1:22 pm

Blame administration for all the zero tolerance policies implemented over the last 30 years, along with all the funding cuts since the Reagan Administration. It's now a well known fact, that if you need mental health services, get arrested and go to jail.

I agree with the zero tolerance stance most of the time. I don't agree with how needs to be in prison in order to get (most of the time) inadequate mental health care.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 12:59 pm

Even if you have no respect for the color of authority, the kid is kicking something or someone, without the expectation that they will kick back.

He is supposed to have issues with self-control, but would he kick a longhorn bull or bulldozer, closing in. Does he kick boulders, or run into moving traffic, to kick at the cars.

Or, does he know there will be consequences for his actions.

Has he made a conscious realization that the adult is so civilized, he must show restraint, no matter what the kid does.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 12:15 am

Autistic child arrested at school threatened with more charge

Quote:
Thursday afternoon, John Benjamin Haygood had a status update hearing in Okeechobee.

During Thursday’s hearing, the state made it clear, prosecutors don’t want this case to go to trial. They offered the boy’s family another option, threatening if they don’t take it, more charges could be added.

They offered the family, once again, a diversion program.

“No matter what services are offered, none are going to address his issues at school,” said Stephanie Langer, Haygood’s attorney.
Langer said the solution is to take the criminal justice system out of the mix.
“I haven’t seen anything in the department of juvenile justice that’s actually going to address the problem which is how they’re reacting and acting in school. We’re not going to cure him of his disability,” said Langer. “He needs an evaluation to determine if he has a learning disability. He needs a behavioral program that actually is designed to help him an not escalate him. He needs an IEP, which is an individualized education plan.”

The family still plans on taking this case to trial.

If they do that, the state said on Thursday they’ll most likely add more felony charges, but didn’t give specifics.

“Legal bullying. I don't think it was appropriate to say that in open court. I don't think it's a way to get someone to take a plea,” said

When the prosecutor made this statement in court, Luanne Haygood shook her head, showing her frustration. However, she said she’s more concerned about where her son is going to school in the fall.

“I’m doing my part but I'm not getting a response from the schools at all,” said Haygood.
She said homeschooling is not an option.

“That’s a way for the school to not ever have to change and that's generally what people do, take ‘em out of school because they get tired of this,” said Haygood. “I choose not to and I don't have to. I'm a single mom and I'm working full time. I don't think it's in his best interest.”

What a clusterf**k

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 2:27 pm

If it were a high school student kicking someone, it would be understandable that they might get arrested. A 10-year-old? I would think they would at most get an out of school or in school suspension.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 5:16 am

NewTime wrote:
If it were a high school student kicking someone, it would be understandable that they might get arrested. A 10-year-old? I would think they would at most get an out of school or in school suspension.

He's done way a lot more than just one kick. And if he's already this over the top violent now, how much worse is he going to become as he gets older? And the mother is just enabling him. If it keeps up she will probably be visiting him in a penitentiary ten years from now.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 7:01 pm

EzraS wrote:
NewTime wrote:

He's done way a lot more than just one kick. And if he's already this over the top violent now, how much worse is he going to become as he gets older? And the mother is just enabling him. If it keeps up she will probably be visiting him in a penitentiary ten years from now.

Oh. The way it was written made it seem like when he kicked it was just one kick.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 11:56 pm

NewTime wrote:
EzraS wrote:
NewTime wrote:

Oh. The way it was written made it seem like when he kicked it was just one kick.

I reacted the same as you did when I first came across this. But when I read all the details I changed my mind. It's actually pretty misleading the way it's presented. I think the kick was just the final straw. It should say he was finally arrested for kicking a teacher after a series of vicious attacks on other teachers and students.

One thing I took note of in the video the mother made of the arrest, is after the kid is put in the police car, she tells him not to hurt any of the police officers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 1:35 am

EzraS wrote:
One thing I took note of in the video the mother made of the arrest, is after the kid is put in the police car, she tells him not to hurt any of the police officers.

Which is hardly shocking as I would do the same to make sure my child doesn't get into worse trouble than he already is

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 5:42 pm

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Which is hardly shocking as I would do the same to make sure my child doesn't get into worse trouble than he already is

I wasn't going for shock value. I just thought it confirmed he had a predilection for being violent. But I guess telling a ten year old not hurt police officers in more common than I thought.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 9:23 pm

Sounds like another Frankie. He could really hurt someone some day like Frankie did with his mom. I am not sure what he did that really hurt her and when it happened, my mom told me. But when I was 15 and he was 10, he was already hitting her and then he was breaking things to get his way. Plus he bragged to me about breaking kids bones so he really hurt them too unless that was one if his pathological lies.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 3:28 am

Child with autism still faces criminal charges, mom wants to see changes

Quote:
The prosecutor on the case said they have and are still offering a diversion program which would mean no criminal record or jail time.

However, Luanne Haygood says that’s not nearly good enough, and that doesn't help her son deal with his disorder.

Her son, John Benji, was charged for battery on a school employee, something his mom says was an autism-related episode.

The sheriff’s office and the school district have yet to explain their policies and procedures when it comes to dealing with a child with special needs and discipline issues.

However, the prosecutor on the case says John Benji has had at least 55 other document incidents of physically aggressive behavior towards other students and teachers, which is why the State isn't dropping the charges.

Instead, the prosecutor offering a diversion program.

"They have yet to tell me what this diversion program would entail, what would it involve? How is it going to help John Benji that when he goes into school that these arrests aren’t made again.”

“If the child is extremely disabled and is unable to communicate with others, then it’s extremely unlikely that that program would have a benefit,” said license psychologist Dr. Raphi Wald.

He says it is possible a diversion program could be beneficial. However, it just depends on how high functioning the child is.

“If the child is high functioning, I think its possible that he could benefit,” said Wald.

Meanwhile Luanne says her son still hasn't been back to school, that they're waiting on the school
to find a suitable placement.

The adults have to act like adults and figure out a way. The last thing the kid needs is a criminal record, it is bad enough his issues are permanently on the internet. It is hard enoough gaining acceptence as an autistic.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2019, 3:44 am

Child with autism handcuffed to chair at elementary school in Louisiana

Quote:
A 9-year-old special needs student named Zykayden was handcuffed to a chair at Winnsboro Elementary School.

His mother, Shrena Henderson, was heading to Monroe when she got the call to come pick him up.

"I noticed he was in the classroom by himself four adults surrounding him and he doesn't have on shoes and he is foaming on the mouth," said Henderson.

It was the end result of an episode, Zykayden says, started after he didn't want to do his math work.

"I had started throwing stuff and writing on a table then they called the principal and the principal called the police," said Z. Henderson.

According to the school's documents, Zykayden tried to headbutt and hit teachers.

At that point, Winnsboro Police Chief Willie Pierce said his officer took the appropriate actions, despite the department not having a policy for handling special needs students.

Henderson said her child is traumatized and accommodations should be made for kids with disabilities.

Henderson said Zykaden was suspended for five days and she is now planning to homeschool him.

She has a pending case against the Winnsboro Police Department and believes this was an act of retaliation.

However, Chief Pierce said that is untrue.