Autistic 10 year old jailed for kicking para professional

Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 7:55 am

The cops and everybody else probably mishandled this. The kid almost definitely shouldn't have been handcuffed and jailed.

This just might harden the kid, and makes things worse for all.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Apr 2017, 8:43 am

What's a paraprofessional? There are paramedics, paralegals.
Ah - found this on Google -

Paraprofessionals usually adhere to the same schedule as teachers, though their duties and responsibilities focus specifically on providing learning support, generally to students with special needs.

Does anybody know exactly what the paraprofessional was doing last November when the kid kicked?

Maybe the home-schooling Nov-May got the kid into a different grade, a different batch of teachers and paras?

Personally, if it means going home and staying there, bring on the paras and I'll kick 'em all.

What kind of kick? Is the 10yo trained in martial arts? What did he kick? The kneecap? Often?

Wish we'd have been flies on the wall.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 3:11 pm

Quote:
What's a paraprofessional?

Newfangled word for part time teacher's aid.

They are being gracious about the fact, that the employee is under qualified, does not work fulltime, so is not entitled to tenure or the normal gratuities.

Probably deserves to be kicked. (sarc)

Quote:
learning support :roll:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 5:10 pm

Claradoon wrote:

In this case I think it means a jump qualified teacher...

Instead of them driving to school, a C-130 flies over the school and they jump out using the athletic field as the drop zone.
See it all the time...

Last edited by Raptor on 17 Apr 2017, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 5:15 pm

Raptor wrote:
Claradoon wrote:

In this case I think it means a jump qualified teacher..
ROFLMAO! :lol:

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Apr 2017, 7:31 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Claradoon wrote:

In this case I think it means a jump qualified teacher..
ROFLMAO! :lol:

Glorious! :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 10:36 pm

A while back, my autistic daughter had become frustrated and angry, and hit one of her teachers. Guess what - - nobody called the police on my daughter. Instead, I received a phone call from the school asking me to pick my daughter up for the day. Calling the police, especially when a developmentally delayed child is concerned, is ridiculous beyond belief.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 11:00 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
A while back, my autistic daughter had become frustrated and angry, and hit one of her teachers. Guess what - - nobody called the police on my daughter. Instead, I received a phone call from the school asking me to pick my daughter up for the day. Calling the police, especially when a developmentally delayed child is concerned, is ridiculous beyond belief.

Yes my daughter wacks the teaching aides when sensory stuff gets too much. She knows that it means an automatic suspension but sometimes can't help it.

Only on one occasion did an aide lodge a complaint and try and get my daughter in trouble and (I suspect) expelled. The school handled the situation well and the aide who lodged the complaint was told if she wasn't able to handle the job she should not be working with special needs kids

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 11:02 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Yes my daughter wacks the teaching aides when sensory stuff gets too much. She knows that it means an automatic suspension but sometimes can't help it.

Only on one occasion did an aide lodge a complaint and try and get my daughter in trouble and (I suspect) expelled. The school handled the situation well and the aide who lodged the complaint was told if she wasn't able to handle the job she should not be working with special needs kids

I think your child's school handled the situation with the teacher's aide very well.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 8:17 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I think your child's school handled the situation with the teacher's aide very well.

Further to that, the aide infact resigned at the end of last year. If you claim to be a qualified teachers aid and can't handle an outburst from an autistic child then you are in the wrong career

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 1:23 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Further to that, the aide infact resigned at the end of last year. If you claim to be a qualified teachers aid and can't handle an outburst from an autistic child then you are in the wrong career

Absolutely.
The teacher who my daughter had struck took things in stride, and they are still very fond of each other.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 4:08 pm

My mom once got bit by an autistic child at work and guess what they did, put him in time out. They didn't call the police on a six year old who was non verbal and this was back in 1997.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 1:43 am

New information from CBS news

Quote:
John has an upcoming court date in May.

The Okeechobee County school district issued a statement to WPEC:

It has been district procedure to invite students in to take the Florida Standards Assessment. The district would not invite someone to one of our campuses for the sole purpose to arrest.

The district routinely assists students by providing services from our board certified behavioral analyst, licensed mental health counselors, school social workers, and psychologists. As a team, these individuals develop interventions, conduct assessments, and offer support both at school and in the home in order to assist students and families.

The district is unable to provide specific information as to both current and past incidents regarding this or any other student due to educational laws and rules. It is our hope that we can continue to work with all families to help their students improve both behaviorally and academically.

Okeechobee County School Districs's Autism Webpage

As of this writing Autism Speaks has not commented about the school district that perpetrated this outrage prominently displaying their logo

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 5:52 am

Still not enough information to make a judgment.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 9:13 am

androbot01 wrote:
Still not enough information to make a judgment.

Enough information for me. He is a ten-year old whose behavior issues were criminalized. That is never right no matter what the circumstances or context.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 1:00 pm

The child has ostensible, legal rights, above-and-beyond those of the teacher, to use traditional methods. So, the use of force was outsourced, from the school district, in order to avoid liability. Whether or not we agree with their choices, the administrators had a kind of reasoning.