Autistic 10 year old jailed for kicking para professional

Page 3 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 3:03 am

I think him getting arrested wasn't that bad. He's not going to have a criminal record for it. I've know of kids who got picked up by the police just for not being in school. I noticed he didn't fight the cops, so I don't know how out of control he is. Maybe he's just a mean little brat.

Sorry kid, but that's what happens when you stab people and break their bones.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 3:22 am

EzraS wrote:
I think him getting arrested wasn't that bad. He's not going to have a criminal record for it. I've know of kids who got picked up by the police just for not being in school. I noticed he didn't fight the cops, so I don't know how out of control he is. Maybe he's just a mean little brat.

Sorry kid, but that's what happens when you stab people and break their bones.

I didn't see the part where the kid stabbed anyone or broke their bones, from my understanding he kicked some person working with him....has autism, probably meltdown related if he did kick an adult professional working with him, which is what this was about from my understanding. Could you post the link about him also stabbing people and breaking bones? As I'd like to see that before passing judgement he deserved this but it would be news to me.

Also though not sure what the point of the video is, cops way to harsh on 10 year old confused kid and his mom desperately trying to help him understand what is happening and that she'll try and make sure he's ok when even she doesn't see why her autistic son is being taken off to a police station with the police ignoring her when she asks if she can accompany her child at least? and this is supposed to convince us the police took the correct action..well it didn't.

Just showed another reason to be sickened by the police in this country..and i think you are disturbed if you think this video shows actual 'justice', its a 10 year old child...get over your f**king self if you think 10 year olds should be arrested and thrown in jail for acting out under stress. I mean unless he did maliciously stab people I could see feeling less empathy....but not sure where you got that bit since most articles on this say he kicked an aide, not stabbed anyone. Also it can happen with younger autistic kids or even younger normal kids who are too overwhelmed or uncomfortable or whatever that they may act out, throw a fit this or that and maybe even kick or hit. And they could be given consequences at home. But no lets make a 10 year old kid into a criminal...that is the best idea, according to people like you apprently.

Oh-oooh I think that kid acted out, arrrest em and throw em in jail.....errr, even 8 year olds should be thrown in jail...arrrgghhhh *old people groaning noises* really get over yourself. But the worst thing is the article says: 'he kicked a para-professional at his school last year. She knows he has a troubled history in school, but says his behavior is a result of his autism.' how do you gather that he stabbed people and broke their bones out of that? exactly. Please do post the link to that report would you kindly?

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 13 May 2017, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 3:54 am

friedmacguffins wrote:
friedmacguffins wrote:
Being autistic is not the same thing as being bad. I think the condition and the behavior should be considered separately.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well even if a 10 year old is intentionally acting out/being bad...jail time and a criminal sentence doesn't seem the best solution.

Tawaki wrote:
I smell paper trail to get this kid into something like residential treatment center or out of the gen ed population.

Quotas for vaccines and psychiatric medicines have been reported, over the years. There are grants for emergency housing. Why not a treatment center.

I am not saying that authoritarianism is always ethical, btw.

I am just saying that everything happens for a reason.

Don't be that reason.

I have always hiked and mountain biked, as a much larger person, even maxed-out leg machines, at the gym, and try to add more weights. This is just a kid. But, the first thing that occurs to me, is, kicking someone is dangerous. He is not realistically some killing machine. It just seems like something unnatural and wrong, to physically-assault someone, from my perspective. In general, I feel like it is easy to break things.

From his perspective, maybe, it is like picking something up with your toes, or nudging something, with your foot. Maybe, it doesn't seem as consequential, if you're just a little person.

We're talking about a 10 year old child here, I really doubt he considred he'd be arrested and jailed for acting out as a 10 year old. I mean sure for an adult your reasoning makes sense but this is a 10 year old, overwhelmed autistic kid we are talking about...not a grown adult willfully assaulting someone via kicking them.

And do you really think being arrested and jailed is going to help the issues this kid has? yeah maybe he shouldn't have done that and such patterns of behavior could get worse if not adressed...but you really think arrest, sentencing and jail is going to help that kid get on track? Now he's a criminal in the books, regardless of what he does in school all the teachers and students will remember him as the disruptive kid who got taken by the police...so from now on he'll face even more stigma beyond just what comes with autism because of this.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 4:06 am

I don't approve of persecuting children, unless it can be proven without a doubt they acted criminally whilst knowingly. Like if a 10 year old could be proven to have murdered someone in cold blood for instance. But an autistic kid kicking a social worker or whatever hardly qualifies as such an offense. Not to mention any social worker type person working with autistic children should expect they may be difficult and might lash out if getting too overwhelmed. If you cant deal with that don't volunteer to work with autistic children or children with other difficulties. If your thought is 'report child to police if they ever act out and do anything physical' you probably should not be working with special needs kids.

The idea is to help them, not ensure they have a criminal record by age 10. So yeah if you think they should jail 10 year olds for this i disagree with you.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 4:42 am

He stabbed another kid with a pencil and it punctured the skin, no broken bones.

Although it sounds cliched this seems to be the fault of most involved. This is a chronic and severe discipline problem probably exacerbated by autism that was allowed to fester and should never have become a criminal matter. The parents seemed to have ignored all efforts to help the kid. Was it denial, some sort of religious belief, dislike of ABA? The paraprofessional who did this to get the kid help choose to use the legal system why? Ignorence or as mentioned earlier in this thread criminalizing special problems they do not want to handle or pay for is what a lot of school districts do.

The court did the best they could dealing with a situation that they are not designed to deal with.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 4:55 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Boy goes before judge

Quote:

The prosecutor then offered a few specific incidents.

• On one occasion, the boy kicked a male coach in the groin.

• The boy punched another student in the face.

• The boy stabbed another student with a pencil after he had just sharpened it and the pencil went through the other child’s jacket and punctured the skin.

• The boy intentionally stomped on a female teacher’s foot while wearing steel-toed boots and broke three of her toes. “Then, when she returned to work, he stomped on her same toes and said she deserved it,” said Mr. Albright.

• On two different occasions John Benjamin told teachers he was going to come back with a gun and kill them.

This is nothing to do with autism. This is just a bad kid. He sharpened the pencil before stabbing the other student with it. Someone having a meltdown does not sharpen their pencil to make it a more effective weapon. And stomping on the woman's same toes that he had already broken? No remorse. Kid sounds like he may be a psychopath.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 6:08 am

whoops

Last edited by EzraS on 13 May 2017, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 6:14 am

androbot01 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Boy goes before judge

Quote:

• The boy stabbed another student with a pencil after he had just sharpened it and the pencil went through the other child’s jacket and punctured the skin.

• The boy intentionally stomped on a female teacher’s foot while wearing steel-toed boots and broke three of her toes. “Then, when she returned to work, he stomped on her same toes and said she deserved it,” said Mr. Albright.

• On two different occasions John Benjamin told teachers he was going to come back with a gun and kill them.

This is nothing to do with autism. This is just a bad kid. He sharpened the pencil before stabbing the other student with it. Someone having a meltdown does not sharpen their pencil to make it a more effective weapon. And stomping on the woman's same toes that he had already broken? No remorse. Kid sounds like he may be a psychopath.

Yeah that's not meltdown behavior whatsoever.

Now for me personally, I would have had a huge meltdown getting arrested.

He actually handled it pretty well I think.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
He stabbed another kid with a pencil and it punctured the skin, no broken bones.

I thought 3 broken toes counted as broken bones.

Last edited by EzraS on 13 May 2017, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 6:17 am

EzraS wrote:
Yeah that's not meltdown behavior whatsoever.

OMG, We just agreed on something. Cool.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 6:29 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't approve of persecuting children, unless it can be proven without a doubt they acted criminally whilst knowingly. Like if a 10 year old could be proven to have murdered someone in cold blood for instance. But an autistic kid kicking a social worker or whatever hardly qualifies as such an offense. Not to mention any social worker type person working with autistic children should expect they may be difficult and might lash out if getting too overwhelmed. If you cant deal with that don't volunteer to work with autistic children or children with other difficulties. If your thought is 'report child to police if they ever act out and do anything physical' you probably should not be working with special needs kids.

The idea is to help them, not ensure they have a criminal record by age 10. So yeah if you think they should jail 10 year olds for this i disagree with you.

The article said that he will not have a criminal record. I've known of kids getting picked up by the cops and put in juvie until a parent picked them up, just for playing hooky. It's really not that huge of a deal imo.

This kid after a rampage of assaulting people, was put into a police car and he spent the night in juvie - which hopefully scared him straight. I say better to shake him up now, than an actual years long prison sentence and a permanent criminal record later on.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 7:36 am

If there was forethought (i.e., sharpening a pencil to use it as a weapon), then this wasn't a "meltdown" in an autistic sense.

I am on the fence as to whether the kid should have been arrested. In my day, unless a kid actually robbed someone or something, a 10-year-old never would have been arrested. But, here, there was too much forethought for him to not deserve some sort of punishment.

I think there is too much police presence in schools these days.

Here's hoping he didn't learn how to be a good criminal in Juvie.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 7:06 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Although it sounds cliched this seems to be the fault of most involved. This is a chronic and severe discipline problem probably exacerbated by autism that was allowed to fester and should never have become a criminal matter. The parents seemed to have ignored all efforts to help the kid. Was it denial, some sort of religious belief, dislike of ABA? The paraprofessional who did this to get the kid help choose to use the legal system why? Ignorence or as mentioned earlier in this thread criminalizing special problems they do not want to handle or pay for is what a lot of school districts do.

The court did the best they could dealing with a situation that they are not designed to deal with.

Why did he stab the other kid with the pencil though? I mean i can sure remember a number of times being the unpopular kid that people would purposely aggravate to get in trouble. Like they'd keep picking and picking at me till finally I reacted and then play up how horrible I was to them to get me in trouble so I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like that. I mean the kid might need some counseling or help but probably not jail time. But yeah I remember one time when I was 10 this kid kept telling me to hit them with a toy I had brought to school, so I finally did because he wouldn't stop and then he went and tattled so the teacher confiscated it.(I did sneak up and take it back actually when I had a brief moment the teacher wasn't in the room and the teacher never confronted me about that, but I imagine she knew). I can't imagine if the cops had been involved, that would have been terrifying...

I don't entirely blame the whole court system and the woman cop seemed like she was trying to make it go as smooth as possible, but I still think they owed the mother more explanation and certainly should have allowed her to accompany the child. In my state I don't think this would happen because anyone 10 and under cannot be criminally persecuted....Either way this should have never been a legal matter is the problem. There is too much law enforcement involvement in public schooling I think.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 7:18 pm

androbot01 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Boy goes before judge

Quote:

Or he feels everyone is constantly against him and acts out...I just don't see how arrest or jail is going to help him improve these behaviors. I mean I was not aware it was all that severe I admit, but still he's 10 not necessarily a lost cause, he needs help with his issues, if the parents refuse to get him some treatment to help him than maybe the state should mandate it...but it should be psychological help not being tossed into the legal system.

I mean what is the history here, does he have any friends....does he get constantly bullied, to teachers kind of just let it happen? I mean sure if this kid just randomly attacks people and threatens all the time for no reason then I could see seeing him as just a 'bad kid' but not so sure that is what is going on.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 May 2017, 7:30 pm

I really identify with the childhood experiences you relate. And I wonder if today there might be a way to get you (and me!) some help.

It looks to me like this situation had progressed to the point that something explosive and violent might be imminent. The causes are lost but we can see that the child is violent, others are in danger, the child needs more therapy? I don't know what he needs but staying in that school is not it.

I think the episode with the police was planned to force The System to react. Nothing permanent was planned from the legal side - just a big fuss to put the boy at head of the line of kids who get help. Although it's not guaranteed that the boy can be helped, not with what we offer today.

I wonder about that mother. What possessed her to buy him steel-tipped shoes (with which he stomped on and broke his teacher's toes - twice). She seems devoted to keeping him in the mainstream. I think she needs help too.

When I was ten, I would have been glad to elsewhere, any elsewhere, rather than the mainstream school I had. I guess that influences my thinking about that boy.

rjom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2017, 8:17 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I am getting so sick of hearing about children jailed for outbursts...like what the hell. I'd think there'd be better less traumatic options.

i have memories of being bullied into outbursts then the cops carrying me out. i was nearly always scapegoated

as a result i hate all authority

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 12:28 pm

So where is Mama Bear now? Where's her righteous indignation that the TPTB are gunning for her child because he is really just misunderstood 10 year old.

*crickets* Figures. I knew she was full of s**t, because no school district justs calls the police to cuff kids. The district probably had three workmen's comp cases against this kid. They don't want to get sued by their staff.

My B.S. meter hit maxim compacity the first go around with this story. I truly hope she doesn't sign the paperwork. Mama Bear thinks it's all the school's fault that her son is having problems, so why kowtow to the man now?

Unless she signs the paper work and bales after two sessions. I can see her doing this too. Then she can have more poor drama momma click bait for her FB/GoFundMe/Weebly blog.

The two death threats alond would have had him expelled in my school district, even at 10.

This boy needs boat loads of help. Autism is the least of his worries. His mother sounds like a hot mess.

*I have a relative who is acts just like the boy's mom. It's all Mama Bear/BlogWarrior/FightThePower, and never got her kid any true help. The kid (young adult) is doing years in prison for auto theft and assault. The kid's issue was FASD. Mom never got him any real help, and totally denies the FASD.