Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

alwaysandforever
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Apr 2017, 6:29 pm

Background:I didn't work as a teenager because my parents wanted me to focus on school.The general attitude is teens should only work if it is absolutely needed,non essentials do not count,a belief I share.I went through VR and now have a lobby attendant job at McDonald's that I have been at for almost a year under accommodated employment.This is my first job and I'm 27.

I want to move on but haven't been having much luck. I was basically told the jobs that I could do don't exist anymore and no one seems to know where to put me.

My Restrictions and challanges:
I cannot drive (as in I am incapable of driving) and we do not have public transportation.It is not walker friendly around here and while the city has something for the disabled it is hard to reserve and unreliable. My parents work full time so I have to work with their schedule
I cannot work over 20 hours
I cannot work over around 6 hours a day not including a break
I have dexterity and balance issues
I have memory issues
I have face and emotion blindness issues.Apparently my emotions are always clear and if I don't like you they are doubly so.
I cannot multitask very much
I have auditory processing issues so I have trouble with spoken communication
Apparently I am a big distraction to other people
Short attention span
Not big on new technology.I only got smart phone last year because I couldn't put off not having one anymore.
poor math skills
can't run a cash register
poor handwriting and spelling
My reaction time is slower,while driving on good day it was around 7 seconds plus I almost ran over some people...
easily distracted
impulse control issues
poor voice volume control and clarity

Strengths:
A reader
academically smart
fairly organized
Finishes stuff early
Once I start something I will usually work through until I finish it
can talk on phone and read from a scripts
Can file
can work with 4 or less people at a time well
work well in more structured environment
fine with repetitive work

Any ideas?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 11:54 am

Wow, I've never seen a McDonald's with a lobby.

Try this job explorer: https://www.mynextmove.org/

alwaysandforever
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 May 2017, 11:49 pm

ugh.I thought that this job was supposed to be for a year only and then they'd give me another job but apparently not.I can't carry or lift over 15 pounds so that's giving me some issues. Luckily most of my co worker are willing to do that for me.We have this manager guy from who knows where and he's the biggest as*hole.He's super rude to customers and has scared some away.He'll berate us in front of customers and he's always yelling.I yelled at him once and now he leaves me alone for most of the time maybe if we're mean enough he'll go away.

All I want is a job where I can do it before the deadline and people leave me alone.I excelled at online courses because got one and it is an awful device.Grrr I need a job where I have limit interaction with stupid technology,that pays a living wage,that doesn't require dexterity,balance or technical know how.I also have been quite open about my anti-hippa and privacy policy views so I'm barred from some places.I mean I did warn them...

Mom wants me to do volunteer work again but it sucked and I hate doing it.I seem to have gotten lazier.Granted my mind is around that of a young teen and this is young me to a T.Well without the suicide attempts anyway.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 12:51 pm

alwaysandforever wrote:
I also have been quite open about my anti-hippa and privacy policy views so I'm barred from some places.I mean I did warn them...

What don't you like about HIPAA and privacy policies?

JT1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 May 2017, 5:31 pm

My biggest job challenge is a limited ability to cope with frustration or if I'm having a bad day.

alwaysandforever
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 May 2017, 8:09 pm

JT1 wrote:
My biggest job challenge is a limited ability to cope with frustration or if I'm having a bad day.

Sounds like me.I start getting told I'm being grumpy.

alwaysandforever
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 May 2017, 8:21 pm

starkid wrote:
alwaysandforever wrote:
I also have been quite open about my anti-hippa and privacy policy views so I'm barred from some places.I mean I did warn them...

What don't you like about HIPAA and privacy policies?

Partly because they are too restrictive.I've seen people's information used and the medical people couldn't say anything because of breach of privacy no matter that identity theft is illegal...

From a personal perspective I don't believe in a right to privacy. I alert everyone to this mind you so if they decide to stick around it's their own fault.I am realizing I have no boundaries.I feel that not disclosing everything is akin to lying and I don't tolerate deliberate liars. Granted you can't swing a stick without hitting someone with some sort of mental illness/disorder around here and a several of my friends were on the pycho/sociopathic spectrum.I also have issues with bodily autonomy(note this will not get you out of assault charges apparently).

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 8:22 am

Some suggestions:

fruit picking/farm work
cleaning
transcription services
acting
call centre
library work
buying/selling products online
park ranger
shelf stocker

But the most obvious is: what do you like to do and could handle doing 6 hours a day or more? (Note: you don't have to love it; you just need to like it enough for it not to make you want to slit your wrists after a long day).

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2017, 10:54 am

I worked at the local public library, and my tasks/environment matched your strengths and needs. You will never get rich there, but it's worth the pay.

alwaysandforever
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 May 2017, 3:16 pm

pasty wrote:
I worked at the local public library, and my tasks/environment matched your strengths and needs. You will never get rich there, but it's worth the pay.

What was your job title/task? I could live in the library as it is.

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2017, 3:35 pm

I retrieved books from the overnight drop box in the front of the building. Then I scanned the books in (as returned) with a barcode reader. Then I sorted those returned books by department and delivered them to each department (children, audiovisual, fiction, etc). I did the same for books returned to the circulation desk (the main desk where books are checked out). I also scanned books that people were checking out. It sounds like it would be too social, but it's really not. It would only get crowded on Sundays after church (I live in a town full of churches), and it still was not stressful because I was just scanning books. Then I would go back to sorting and shelving.