I don't think a coworker likes me any more

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 12:46 pm

I think I have upset a coworker who I've always got on with so well.
One day a week I have to get a bus straight after work, and I like to leave work dead on time as to make sure I don't miss it. Usually on this particular day this particular coworker has a day off, but lately she's been in on this day to cover someone else's shift who will be off sick for a while.
But, despite how much I like this coworker and she likes me, she gets carried away with rules and authority, and once told me I can't rush out of work to catch the bus if we are short-staffed (and we usually are short-staffed).
So I decided I had to tell her in the politest way possible that I need to get this bus at this certain time on this certain day every week, and that everybody else appreciates that, and then I asked her what weeks she's going to be covering the other person's shift.
I know that my hidden message might have sounded rather mean, but I am always so tactful and people are always telling me to be selfish or assertive sometimes, and so I didn't think she would take offense to it, but I think she has took offense to the way I asked her what weeks she will be covering the other shift (it might have sounded like I don't want her there on the day I get the bus). She still talks to me and everything, but I can still tell that our friendship isn't the same as it once was, ever since I told her how I felt about catching my bus.

I have apologized to her and she says it's fine and everything, and I added that I do get anxious about missing buses, and she seemed to accept, but I can still feel a bit of hostility there. I've been on vacation in the last 2 weeks and she hasn't once liked or commented on my Facebook statuses or pictures, and usually she does, especially if we haven't seen each other for a while. I would do the same on her statuses but she doesn't really post much at all, even though she goes on Facebook a lot.

But I am starting to feel uncomfortable. I hate upsetting people. It's not in my nature, but sometimes you have to speak up and be a little blunt, otherwise people just walk all over you.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 1:46 pm

Joe90 wrote:
... sometimes you have to speak up and be a little blunt, otherwise people just walk all over you.

Exactly.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 3:00 pm

Joe90 wrote:
One day a week I have to get a bus straight after work, and I like to leave work dead on time as to make sure I don't miss it. Usually on this particular day this particular coworker has a day off, but lately she's been in on this day to cover someone else's shift who will be off sick for a while.
But, despite how much I like this coworker and she likes me, she gets carried away with rules and authority, and once told me I can't rush out of work to catch the bus if we are short-staffed (and we usually are short-staffed).
So I decided I had to tell her in the politest way possible that I need to get this bus at this certain time on this certain day every week, and that everybody else appreciates that, and then I asked her what weeks she's going to be covering the other person's shift.
I know that my hidden message might have sounded rather mean, but I am always so tactful and people are always telling me to be selfish or assertive sometimes, and so I didn't think she would take offense to it, but I think she has took offense to the way I asked her what weeks she will be covering the other shift (it might have sounded like I don't want her there on the day I get the bus). She still talks to me and everything, but I can still tell that our friendship isn't the same as it once was, ever since I told her how I felt about catching my bus.

I have apologized to her and she says it's fine and everything, and I added that I do get anxious about missing buses, and she seemed to accept, but I can still feel a bit of hostility there. I've been on vacation in the last 2 weeks and she hasn't once liked or commented on my Facebook statuses or pictures, and usually she does, especially if we haven't seen each other for a while. I would do the same on her statuses but she doesn't really post much at all, even though she goes on Facebook a lot.

But I am starting to feel uncomfortable. I hate upsetting people. It's not in my nature, but sometimes you have to speak up and be a little blunt, otherwise people just walk all over you.

Where is it you have to get to exactly on time no exceptions whatsoever? It makes sense that if they're short staffed kind of rude to rush out because then everyone else has to pick up your slack. If they're commonly short staffed on the days you have to rush out to catch the bus can you reschedule this place you have to get to or be a little bit late if you need to stay a little longer at work?...Sorry that happened, but it sounds like you came off as someone who cannot compromise whatsoever which was probably frustrating if she's been covering someones shift and the workplace is usually short staffed meaning more work for her and you just get to rush out on certain days no questions asked to be at some 'place' and then didn't even explain why that's important enough you should be able to rush out..so probably sounds like an excuse.

Also not a good idea to apologize and than continue to explain why you did the thing you're apologizing for...generally kind of a bad move.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 3:21 pm

I was assuming that this weekly need to get the bus immediately after work without being late is due to an urgent reason ... as in, you would be unable to make it home at a reasonable hour if you miss the bus, such that the situation would be unsafe.

If it's for a lesser reason, a compromise might indeed be in order, with you helping to make it a friendly compromise.

Yes, I'm all in favor of standing up and speaking up for yourself ...
and that said, ... there's much wisdom in
choosing your battles to focus on
what's most important.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 4:19 pm

Do I have to go into detail about everything in my personal life here? Only 1 day a week I have to catch the bus after work, and it's for a necessary matter. The buses aren't every 10 minutes you know, and I've got to get 3 buses that have to coincide with one another, and this particular day is the only suitable day available for the event so it had to be this way. God!

I forgot to mention, that I do start my shift earlier on this particular day to make up any lost minutes and to give extra time.

I suppose it's OK for the boy who keeps expecting people to do one of his shifts so he can go clubbing, but when it comes to an important matter for me, it's "rude" and "inappropriate".

Whatever.

Last edited by Joe90 on 15 Apr 2017, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 4:44 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Do I have to go into detail about everything in my personal life here? Only 1 day a week I have to catch the bus after work, and it's for a necessary matter.

I forgot to mention, that I do start my shift earlier on this particular day to make up any lost minutes and to give extra time.

I suppose it's OK for the boy who keeps expecting people to do one of his shifts so he can go clubbing, but when it comes to an important matter for me, it's "rude" and "inappropriate".

No, going into a lot of detail isn't necessary.

That said, the amount of importance attached to leaving immediately does factor in to how best to handle the situation socially, so my second post was basically conjecture indicating just that, based on my own experiences where I've had to tell people that I may not be able to show up at an event after work, or else I'd have to show up late to an event held after work.

It definitely sounds like you're handling things correctly and properly from an objective point of view, and that inappropriate favoritism is being shown toward those who are less conscientious than you.

The challenge is all too often that in office politics, popularity and social skills are valued over what is correct and proper. It sounds like you're doing your best under the circumstances.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 4:55 pm

I'm so used to being tactful towards everybody, and this one time I kind of spoke my mind I went a bit wrong but I didn't mean to offend my coworker. I'm just trying to put things right, but Sweetleaf has made me feel really bad.

Maybe I am a horrible person, much to my coworker's knowledge. I could cancel the session I need to attend on this 1 day after work if it's causing that much grief. I am looking for a job in the area where I don't need to get 3 buses to (my boyfriend lives there so I will move in) but due to my lack of every human skill I need in a job, that can't happen.

I am having palpitations now, from guilt and anxiety.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 5:51 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Do I have to go into detail about everything in my personal life here? Only 1 day a week I have to catch the bus after work, and it's for a necessary matter. The buses aren't every 10 minutes you know, and I've got to get 3 buses that have to coincide with one another, and this particular day is the only suitable day available for the event so it had to be this way. God!

Whatever.

I am just saying if you tell your frusterated co-worker tells you you shouldn't rush off when they're short staffed...and you tell them you have to to be at some place and provide no details as to what the nature is they are going to feel like you are just making excuses. It doesn't matter to me what the place is...just trying to explain why your co-worker may have been offended. Not sure how she is supposed to get that it's something important if you just tell her 'I have to be at some place.'

If that is the reason she is having to cover that persons shift that's not right either, but for all she knows you're having to rush out to do similar activities to that. I think she felt she was trying to ask you for help and you were like 'no sorry gotta go, and leave you by yourself to deal with the being under staffed.' Perhaps it could have been discussed more reasonable and a better compromise could have been made than her just being mad...but seems like you kinda overdid it with the selfish assertiveness and put her on the defensive.

But yeah I don't think you are a horrible person at all, I have unintentionally pissed people off to so I understand it feels bad...I am just trying to give some explanation of what may be going through their mind. Also I think it is a little silly for them to hold a grudge over just one incident but sometimes people are like that and you can't really do much to change it.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 15 Apr 2017, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 5:58 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm so used to being tactful towards everybody, and this one time I kind of spoke my mind I went a bit wrong but I didn't mean to offend my coworker. I'm just trying to put things right, but Sweetleaf has made me feel really bad.

Maybe I am a horrible person, much to my coworker's knowledge. I could cancel the session I need to attend on this 1 day after work if it's causing that much grief. I am looking for a job in the area where I don't need to get 3 buses to (my boyfriend lives there so I will move in) but due to my lack of every human skill I need in a job, that can't happen.

I am having palpitations now, from guilt and anxiety.

Hi Joe90,

The thing to remember is that Sweetleaf is an Internet stranger ... as am I, for that matter. Even those of us who have good intentions do not know you or your situation all that well, and some of us will have incredibly different opinions and personalities. So our answers may not be right for you, even when we try to help. I hope you won't feel bad about Sweetleaf's post.

There are plenty of times at work when I try to do and say the right thing socially, and I mess it up even though I'm trying my hardest ... it comes with the territory of being autistic. All we can do is our best, and it sounds like you are doing that.

Sometimes, it's not my fault or your fault at all ... it's that the other person or people involved are mean, or do not have our best interests at heart.

You sound like a good worker to me, and the others might not like it because you're letting them know they can't take advantage of you. This is not your fault, so no need to feel guilt. Shame on them ... they're the ones being difficult, if they know you need to leave for an important reason, they should be more understanding. (Or maybe there is something lacking in the communication between you and this other person?)

Anyways, I wish you the best of success. You might find a much better job that's a better fit all around. Things can turn around and get better.

I hope you will enjoy a Happy Easter!

~~ the phoenix

NOTE: Edited a few times to try for better clarity.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 6:50 pm

I know my first year of college there were a couple girls in the dorm room across from mine, who seemed to want to befriend me...we hung out a couple times and drank some beers. But then one night then had more hard alcohol and I ended up having too much and throwing up and needed help back to my room. They had been encouraging me to drink and all that but after that night they'd be surface friendly but never invited me to hang out again, and whenever there was something like a movie or guitar hero in the main living area it was awkward after that because they kind of excluded me but would be socializing with everyone else.

It felt like crap, I mean sure I am sure they had their reasons as to why that had 'ruined' our potential friendship. But yeah it was terrible and made me feel really bad so I can see where you're coming from, not trying to be judgmental or anything so I apologize if I have come off that way.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 12:24 am

My coworker does know the reason why I have to leave a couple minutes early. None of the other staff have a problem with it, so that's why I don't see why she does. Even the boss doesn't mind that I need to be somewhere on one particular afternoon and so need to allow time to get to the bus stop. If I only had to get 1 bus, I would get a later one, but because I've got to get 3, it leaves me no choice but to get the bus that happens to arrive a few short minutes after my shift ends, so it's a bit of a rush for me.

But I think my coworker had got offended when I asked her what days she will and won't be working, because it sounded like I was implying that I didn't want her to be there on the same day I have to get the bus. But I didn't mean anything against her personally, but I think she took it personally. Now each time I mention buses she gets all angry.

Because of my ADHD I lack organisation skills, and you need to be organised when getting buses, so I tend to get anxious and I just feel I need to make sure I'm on time.

Sorry I didn't mean to be highly strung about your post Sweetleaf, I just worried in case all these weeks I've been getting the bus after work was wrong of me. I do start my shift earlier on the day I need to get the bus, just to prove that I am not taking the mick. Also I only have to do this on one of my work days, which is a weekday, so if I was making excuses to try and rush out of work early I would be doing it every day, wouldn't I? So it is genuine, and my coworker knows that, but she still seems a bit funny with me.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2017, 12:50 am

Take it easy, she will probably get over it in time. Don't antagonise her further by bringing it up more.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 10:24 am

Based on my perception, she sounds controlling and when you told her that you had to be on time for the bus, maybe she felt insulted. A lot of times, people who are controlling like that will get insulted when you let them know the reality of a situation.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 11:24 am

This coworker has taken her job too seriously and is obsessed with the place, even though she isn't the boss. I think she loves being authoritive, and gets a bit carried away and now telling us off all the time has become a habit with her.

Although she used to be a friend, she just picks on me now. She knows I have anxiety and panic issues and find some tasks daunting, and when I try to explain how I feel, she doesn't want to listen, instead she flies up in a rage saying that I'm arguing with her, when I'm clearly not at all.
I'm not trying to be excused off of certain tasks, but if she makes me do a certain extra task that will make me delayed with the rest of my tasks for the day, she will still yell at me if my other tasks aren't done properly, even though she was the one who made me do the extra time-consuming task in the first place. She seems to think I am some kind of ninja who can do 2 or 3 different things at the same time, when it is physically impossible for anyone to do. But when I try to explain the possible outcome, she gets mad.

So I can't win. She bosses everyone about but I feel like she picks on me the most. She lumbers me with tasks I don't like, even though these are tasks that most other workers like doing or have less tasks to do than me. And she still expects me to get every single thing done, and threatens to force me to stay long after my shift if everything's not done, even though I have worked hard and have good intentions to get everything done.

But the place where I work, a care home, is harder than you think. Anything can happen at any given time, elderly people with dementia are sometimes like wild animals, and you have to be prompt to clean up any...mess they could create. So if you're under pressure to get A, B and C done by the end of the day, and then old Uncle Fred from down the hallway opens up his bowels all over the carpet, it needs to be cleaned up immediately, understandably, so if task C isn't as important as task A, B and the unexpected mess, and can be done the next day and you decide to give it a miss, you will be yelled at and probably be made to stay after your shift to do it. I just find that stressful.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

Is she your supervisor or is she just really bossy? If not yikes! I would ask her straight up if she has been promoted to lead position and whether her name is on your checks. If she says, "No," I would contact your real supervisor and mention that she's been trying run things that are not under her domain.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 12:52 am

Joe90 wrote:

You were not in the wrong to communicate your need to leave when you do to your co-worker. If anything, your co-worker would be unreasonable to expect you to stay and then be stranded at work or forced to take an extremely late bus, when you safety might be compromised or it would present an undue burden to you for some other reason.

Your co-worker might just be a sensitive individual, or have an inherent disregard for your need to leave when you do. In any case, it doesn't sound like you can do more than you have done to mend the situation, and it's your co-workers problem and not yours.

Also, concerning it "going wrong", no I don't think it went wrong. It went a way you would have preferred it not go, but that is expected sometimes when you stand up for yourself.