My kid drives me crazy some times!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

zzzsmokeyzzz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Apr 2017, 11:20 pm

Just a short rant but my son is high functioning 13 year old autistic/fasd boy. He has one simple chore a day, but he seems to just plain loose intrest is doing even a remotely good job. Even if I tell him he gets no tv or computer it's not enough to get him to do a good job. After I take everything away he will do the chore great for like 2 weeks then back to not caring. I't just frustrating :x

Ignotum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Apr 2017, 7:10 pm

I would certainly imagine it would be, but to be honest my behavior is somewhat similar. It usually manifests itself with procrastination and general laziness, as in not doing something until it is absolutely necessary, and I'm simply terrible at managing myself and my time. I've gathered that this problem with motivation is quite common among autistic people such as myself, so unfortunately, you will most likely just have to be patient and try to find another way to motivate your son.

zzzsmokeyzzz

16 Apr 2017, 9:20 pm

Yes I do understand and I try to be as patient as possible.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 6:14 am

lol. Sorry.

He'll grow beyond it! I promise. Just because a kid is diagnosed with autism, it doesn't mean that they aren't also going to go through completely typical problems. 13 is a ruff age. It's lots of fun when you're a teacher and you get to send them back home at the end of the day! Their emerging critical thinking skills are so fascinating to watch develop. But they are also at this age, let's be completely honest here, a giant pain in the a$$. And not nearly as cute as they used to be.