Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 12:39 am

Hey people have any of you been to the French Banlieues. In case you are wondering what they are, they have become a word nowadays to refer to French Ghettos. Many of them contain a large French Arab situation and I am beginning to wonder, what is it like living in one?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 1:46 am

If life in the Banlieues is like how it's described in this video, then DON'T sign me up.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 2:01 am

Their could be another one of these worse than in 2005 in 2 months. If Marine Le Pen is elected all hell will break loose it is guaranteed. Paris could be lit in gasoline. You don't wanna be their when it happens.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 1:31 pm

Has anyone here seen the film version of Our Kind of Traitor by John LeCarré? There was one scene that supposedly takes place in a flat in a high-rise in the Banlieue. I was wondering if actual flats there look like that. It was exactly what you would expect to see in a Dickian dystopia — avant-garde in the extreme and utterly dehumanizing at the same time. A case of government failing miserably while congratulating themselves on their commitment to humanitarian goals.

PS I am slightly concerned I may be confused with some other film, but mostly not.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 3:10 pm

MaxE wrote:
Has anyone here seen the film version of Our Kind of Traitor by John LeCarré? There was one scene that supposedly takes place in a flat in a high-rise in the Banlieue. I was wondering if actual flats there look like that. It was exactly what you would expect to see in a Dickian dystopia — avant-garde in the extreme and utterly dehumanizing at the same time. A case of government failing miserably while congratulating themselves on their commitment to humanitarian goals.

PS I am slightly concerned I may be confused with some other film, but mostly not.

I didn't see that film, but a lot of the "banlieues" (which mean suburb in english) were built in the pots war period, which mean a lot of them have been built with the most ugly style of architecture know to man, brutalism. (It has the advantage of been cheap, but that it's only quality) It didn't help matter that some of them have been draw by Le Corbusier, a architect with authoritarian ideas who really liked ugly buildings.