Thinking about a low dose anti-anxiety. Any experiences?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chapel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Apr 2017, 4:53 pm

So, I've been reading up on my ASD and my alexithymia, and there's a suggestion that a low dose of anti-anxiety meds may help with that.
Anyone have any experiences they'd like to share with meds? I've never been on any.

Aspie-Quiz

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 8:38 pm

Chapel wrote:
So, I've been reading up on my ASD and my alexithymia, and there's a suggestion that a low dose of anti-anxiety meds may help with that.
Anyone have any experiences they'd like to share with meds? I've never been on any.

Buspar did nothing for me. SSRIs gave me all sort of fits. Ditto SNRIs and Tricyclics. The only thing that works right now is Chamonile tea, and even then, sparingly.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 9:36 pm

I've been on many. I like klonopin the best. Xanax works well too. I'm currently on Ativan.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

Chapel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Apr 2017, 9:38 pm

Hmm. I can try the tea now....

Aspie-Quiz

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 9:16 pm

I am on low-level anti-anxiety meds (buspirone) and they have helped me very much with my anxiety issues.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Apr 2017, 12:59 am

Austinfrom1995 wrote:
I am on low-level anti-anxiety meds (buspirone) and they have helped me very much with my anxiety issues.
Busapr helps my anxiety alot too thou I also occasionally take low dose Klonopin/Clonazepam before certain anxiety provoking situations & that helps as well.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

03 May 2017, 8:10 am

Although it's not a benzo- or SSRI, it works better for me than any of those - propranolol.
I suffer mostly from a body-anxiety, the one when you have relatively calm head (no thought stream at all) but the body goes into palpitations, shaky hands, feeling of pressure in the stomach, dizziness, wanting to run, run run! That usually happens in stressful social situations, when I become overwhelmed. I pop a pill before going out and my body stays calm. Honestly, first time I tried it - I couldn't believe something as simple solved a major problem I had throughout all my life since childhood!
Sudden sounds don't scare me that much either anymore, it's like having a fearless body :D

Propranolol blocks the effects of noradrenaline and adrenaline in the body. Stopping adrenaline rushes sorted everything for me. I take the lowest dose possible, so even if it gets worse, I have an option to go upwards with the dose without that much risk (blood pressure drop etc). Also, it's being tested on autistic people to see if it would improve conversation reciprocity and nonverbal communication. Initial results are positive :) If something that cheap and simple could solve many problems... that would just be great.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 7:12 pm

^^^ I take 60mg of Propranolol 2wice a day for a tremor disorder & it does help my tremors alittle but I haven't noticed any effect on my anxiety or my Asperger symptoms/issues. Different people respond differently to meds so that's probably why it helps you but not me. I asked my doc about increasing the dose but she doesn't want cuz my heart rate is in the low end of the normal range on my dose.

Seibelin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2017, 4:48 am

Are all of these prescription meds? I get this blocked up feeling at work and am unable to speak with people informally. It fatigues me a lot, which I suppose could be from hormones effecting my blood pressure. Not sure if I want to block or raise any hormones or neurotransmitters without having had my levels tested. :(

People talk about some of these meds reducing anxiety, but there are so many different types of anxiety I think.

I think chelating heavy metals is the most likely solution, but I wouldn't mind trying something safe in the mean time.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 9:46 pm

Seibelin wrote:
Are all of these prescription meds?
Yes

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 2:10 pm

Klonopin works good, but it takes a while to kick in, so you would need to take it ahead of time, but it last a long time after taking it which is awesome. I take my sleeping pills (ambien) for more fast acting anxiety relief, although it will cause memory loss of events prior to it wearing of. It also makes you act strange, so I don't recommend unless you are staying home and not driving/operating heavy machinery. Technically I'm only supposed to take it for sleep, but eff that.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 2:30 pm

I've so far been on medazepam, clonazepam and chlordiazepoxide. They didn't quite work.
I'm more content with my antidepressant - escitalopram.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 9:40 pm

Funny how everyone's so different. Citalopram made me more anxious. I take hydroxyzine (Vistaril), which is really an antihistamine, but works for some types of anxiety; I also take diazepam (Valium) at other times. Sometimes I take both at the same time...

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2017, 4:17 pm

I take 25mg of amitriptylene every night at bedtime. I have been taking it since 1998 and it has greatly reduced my anxiety. I have tried a few others along the way but end up coming back.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 12:23 am

I've taken 25mg of Seroquel daily for some years now, and it has made life a lot easier.

MintyKat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2017, 7:34 pm

I have intrusive repetitive thoughts sometimes that just ramp up my anxiety, hypothetical or not. Since taking Wellbutrin, I've been more relaxed and able to choose to dismiss said thoughts much more easily with the only side effect being that I don't feel hungry as often.