The new BIG Windows update...driving YOU crazy?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 1:18 pm

I updated all my machines.

Three of them went crazy. Stupid Windows went and moved all my desktop shortcuts around, and in two cases wouldn't let me move them back. I'd go to move one shortcut, and it'd move a bunch of others as I did it.

It's been a day, and I think things are getting more stable again, but I'm not sure. One of the machines that seemed all right last night went wonky for a while today, then suddenly returned to normal.

Is it possible a new, major update like that could make the system unstable and cause the type of craziness I saw? The two major problem machines have a large number of shortcuts, nearly as many as the screen can handle. Drain on the memory as the machine sorts itself (and the update) out?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 11:33 pm

I don't use Windows anymore aside from occaisonally firing up an XP VM, so I don't know what the new update is like. :P

It's crazy to think that Arch Linux of all things can be more predictable than Windows nowadays...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 2:29 am

Did you update other software to the latest versions, I know I had to update my virus protection and graphics card driver..to be compatible with the update.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 1:09 pm

Sweetleaf, do you happen to know if that update could conflict with other anti-virus I have installed? I suppose I could google. I had a problem with the last Windows virus protection update, and couldnt do the fix, myself. Ive been avoiding the recent update, like the plague. On another note, I wish I could stop the reminder from popping up, as it's starting to get to me. I think Edenthiel mentioned a way to do it, at one time. My intention is to free myself, completely, from Windows 10, but that can't happen, yet.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 9:09 pm

I didn't do ANY updating except to allow the OS to upgrade...or downgrade.

I did some research and found I'm not the only one to have the shortcuts start moving around, tho'. (Oh...today I found it'd happened on yet another of my machines.)

A Microsoft "community forum" had two or three people describing the same thing. Someone posted two methods to fix it, but neither worked for me. (And it annoys me one of the other people used both and the problem went away.)

I've rolled back to the previous version of Windows 10 on all but two machines (including an old Dell laptop that originally had XP on it, and yet is running 10, including this new version, just fine!).

This is an example of what happened when Microsoft laid off their entire dept. that was responsible for carefully checking out software before it got released to the public. Now, the public are the beta testers, I guess, and get to enjoy the benefits of having an unfinished OS wreck our computers.

I wish Linux could run EVERYTHING Windows can, or that ReactOS would get finished and that way we'd have a fully usable Windows replacement.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 1:39 am

Sethno wrote:
I wish Linux could run EVERYTHING Windows can, or that ReactOS would get finished and that way we'd have a fully usable Windows replacement.

For most things I prefer Linux to Windows, but its lack of compatibility can be a real hassle sometimes.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 10:21 pm

Windows 10 updates are known to screw around and reset some of your settings. It's annoying, but you just have to deal with it. I mainly use Linux Mint and Windows XP these days. Both are rock-solid systems.