Arkansas Plans Executions Because Drugs are About to Expire

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 8:37 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/04/07/with-lethal-injection-drugs-expiring-arkansas-plans-unprecedented-seven-executions-in-11-days/

The Washington Post wrote:
Arkansas is preparing to execute seven death row inmates in 11 days this month before the state’s deadly drugs expire, an unprecedented number of lethal injections in such a narrow window.

The hurried schedule has prompted unease from the state’s Republican governor, lawsuits from the condemned inmates, and criticism from an array of former corrections officials nationwide.
...authorities are struggling to find the drugs used in lethal injections amid a shortage spurred in part by drugmakers’ objections to the death penalty.
Attorneys for the inmates have filed challenges questioning the scheduled pace and the particular drugs used. But the rush of work is “overwhelming,” said Julie Vandiver, an assistant federal public defender in Little Rock, who is representing some of the inmates.

“This is not the way that it should go,” Vandiver said. “The end stage of litigation is very important, and when an execution warrant is signed, there are all kinds of processes that start up.”

She pointed to clemency petitions, which can only be contemplated after an execution date is set. She dismissed the state’s argument that it has a deadline approaching, calling the deadline “manufactured” and noting that the state has gotten drugs before and can get them again.

Vandiver said the schedule “creates an impossible situation for all the people involved,” including the corrections officials who “are going to have to execute these people.”
...corrections officials also worry that the pace “will increase the chance” of a mistake. They pointed to the last state that intended to carry out two executions in one night: Oklahoma, which bungled the execution...

In a state review, authorities wrote that the execution team placed the IV incorrectly and that officials involved described a feeling of extra stress and urgency because a second execution was scheduled for the same night.

This just seems so wrong, to me. I feel if they can't do it properly, then they shouldn't do it, at all (I left-out a couple of statements about how mistakes were made in other executions, and how the men were, basically, tortured, because of those mistakes, because it might not be good for some of us to read----so, be forewarned, if you choose to read the article).

I know some people----especially the families of the victims----will say "kill 'em, anyway"; but, Charlie Rose had this on his program, today, and I heard another angle. I understand this drags things out for the families of the victims; but, like I said, I don't feel this is doing things, correctly.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 8:42 pm

While I can understand the death penalty in extreme cases where it's the only way to stop someone from going out and killing innocent members of society, using the death penalty "because drugs are about to expire" is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Without knowing any other details, it sounds like it verges on cruel and unusual punishment.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 9:20 pm

This has a nice long shelf life and if done right it's actually fairly humane.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 9:26 pm

Raptor wrote:
This has a nice long shelf life and if done right it's actually fairly humane.

Why knot?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 12:14 pm

There is also the french method, which can be equally humane, though with the Latin flair for being spectacular at the same time:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Apr 2017, 12:45 pm

Hanging or firing squad are instantaneous if done right and much cheaper, they seem like more humane ways to go rather than being put down like dog.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 12:40 am

Expired drugs can be a danger to one's health.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 2:28 pm

I'm against capital punishment by the state .If the family of the victim want justice,it should be at their hands,not someone else.Really the only merciful way would be to tell them they are a free man,then shoot them in the back of the head so they never see it coming.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 7:48 pm

EzraS wrote:
Expired drugs can be a danger to one's health.

A danger to the health of.....

....the person you are putting to death?

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 8:13 pm

I don't understand why they use Midazolam. Seriously, all they would need is Pentobarbital. One injection and they would be dead in under a minute. The whole three drug thing is just stupid. It shouldn't take so long to euthanase someone. Pentobarbital is the preferred method of Veterinary Surgeons to kill themselves. They know it works and it's fast.