Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

20 Apr 2017, 12:43 pm

im 21 years old right now, and i live in wisconsin, but my adoptive parents may be sending me to live in Florida. i have autism, adhd, and type 1 diabetes and a couple other mental conditions i dont feel comfortable listing online. But because of those conditions, i can't hold a job because it's too stressful and overwhelming.

right now im on foodstamps and medicaid (some free health insurance thing. not sure if it's medicaid or not) But if i end up moving to florida, will i still be able to get that?

I heard that the state of florida makes it very difficult for people to get foodstamps and healthcare. is that true? does anyone have experience with it?

also, i applied for ssi earlier last year. I was rejected twice for it and im awaiting a courtdate. i know if i move, i'll loose my place in the court date line, but i also heard that it was very difficult to get ssi in the state of florida. is that true too?

please help <3

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 1:26 am

Maybe you should try asking on city-data.com

There are separate forums for each state in the U.S. and you are more likely to reach people who live in Florida.

I wouldn't mention your specific disabilities, though. Probably not many people will know about SSI anyhow, but you should be able to get an answer about foodstamps.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2017, 6:36 pm

starkid wrote:

There are separate forums for each state in the U.S. and you are more likely to reach people who live in Florida.

I wouldn't mention your specific disabilities, though. Probably not many people will know about SSI anyhow, but you should be able to get an answer about foodstamps.

ehh, people on city data aren't very nice. especially in the florida section :S i've been on that forum before.
i figured more people here who happen to reside in florida might know.

johntober
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Apr 2017, 11:40 pm

I do know that SSI is a federal program and not state specific. You would want to notify them of an address change and living arrangements. I would not know about the state's food stamps programs. There is a criteria for eligibility and an appeal process if they do not follow procedures. Do you have an advocate for your SSI appeal?

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2017, 4:19 am

johntober wrote:
I do know that SSI is a federal program and not state specific. You would want to notify them of an address change and living arrangements. I would not know about the state's food stamps programs. There is a criteria for eligibility and an appeal process if they do not follow procedures. Do you have an advocate for your SSI appeal?

i havent been approved for SSI yet. it's still pending. i've heard that it's up to a judge from the state to decide if you get it. and i also heard that the judges in florida are really strict about SSI in florida, but i wanted to double check with people who had experience with that.

Same with the foodstamps, im getting them in Wisconsin but ive heard that they're strict about them in Florida and that it's difficult for people to get them there.

and yes, i do have an advocate/lawyer for my SSI appeal too. i know i'll have to change them if i move though.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2017, 9:05 am

well anyhow, does anyone have any experience with getting food-stamps and healthcare in the state of florida? was it difficult?

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 6:00 pm

http://www.myflfamilies.com/service-pro ... and-suncap

Because you are not on SSI, you will have a work requirement to get stamps, otherwise it's only for 3 months/every three years.

http://www.myflfamilies.com/service-pro ... h/medicaid

It looks like there is a residency requirement.

I'm assuming your parents will be helping you financially, because insulin isn't cheap.

Why Florida? You have family down there? It's horrible to get any help from the state. As a single guy, you will be at the absolute bottom of the pecking order for any help.

I hope you have more connections than you are letting on.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2017, 6:45 pm

Tawaki wrote:
http://www.myflfamilies.com/service-programs/access-florida-food-medical-assistance-cash/food-assstance-and-suncap

Because you are not on SSI, you will have a work requirement to get stamps, otherwise it's only for 3 months/every three years.

they had the same thing in Wisconsin but i was immediately exempt from it because i told them i couldn't work because of my mental conditions, and i showed them the first page on my psych-evaluation results. (they told me that was all they needed)

the work program requirement, it is only for Able-bodied adults who have no disabilities, which is not true for me because i have diabetes and autism and numerous mental disabilities, at least in the state of Wisconsin that was enough to exempt me from the work program. i was wondering if anyone here would possibly know how that would go in the state of florida.

Tawaki wrote:
http://www.myflfamilies.com/service-pro ... h/medicaid

It looks like there is a residency requirement.

I'm assuming your parents will be helping you financially, because insulin isn't cheap.

actually im getting it for free right now because i believe im on some type of medicaid thing here in wisconsin but i was wondering if i could get that in florida too.

and what do u mean by residency requirement? because i will be living in florida.

Tawaki wrote:
Why Florida? You have family down there? It's horrible to get any help from the state. As a single guy, you will be at the absolute bottom of the pecking order for any help.

I hope you have more connections than you are letting on.

because i hate wisconsin and want to leave, but also because my adoptive parents are sending me to live with relatives down there.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 1:25 pm

I know in Michigan, unless you are on SSI/Medicaid, you aren't considered "disabled" for social services. You may get help being low income.

Remember benefits are not equal for all states. Each state picks and chooses how they want to dole them out. Just because you get help in Wisconsin may mean nothing to Florida.

Residency means you live in the state 6 months or longer (usually).

Wisconsin is a pretty liberal state compared to Florida. You have relatives down there, so hopefully they will help guide you through the ropes.

Here having (all).type I diabetes, Autism (level III) or various mental illnesses doesn't bounce you immediately into the disabled catagory where I live.

Hope you have a trouble free move. :D

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

03 May 2017, 3:38 pm

yeah, i knew about the states not handling the foodstamps thing the same. im pretty it'll be alright i guess.
if i even end up moving to florida. my adoptive parents were just telling me that they think that they can send me there to live with relatives.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

18 Oct 2017, 1:44 pm

Tawaki wrote:
Residency means you live in the state 6 months or longer (usually).

thats not true for florida, you just need a proof of address for the state.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 6:13 pm

I have been working in Florida for 17 years in a program related to people with developmental disabilities including autism.

Florida residency takes 6 months. But SSI and the Waiver don't depend on residency.

SSI is a federal program. Make sure you file your change of address with them. It is generally accepted that social security will deny every first time application. it sometimes takes 2 or 3 times to finally get approved. You just have to be stubborn.

In Florida, once you have SSI, you automatically get Medicaid.

You can also make an application for the developmental disabilities Waiver. There is a huge waiting list, but there are also crisis admissions to get you on more quickly. Once on the Waiver, you also qualify for Medicaid, as well as many services, including supported living, personal care, etc,

ibudgetflorida.org

http://apd.myflorida.com/

In order to qualify for the Waiver, you must be able to show you had a diagnosis of an autism spectrum disorder and that diagnosis has to be made by a psychiatrist or medical doctor before the age of 18. Get this documentation from your parents before you move. Also, your application to the Waiver could be made before you move also, stating you are moving to your relative's address on such and such a date.

If you want to PM me, I will answer more questions for you.

If you want good services, you should try somewhere in the northeast, like CT, MASS, PA or NY. I have heard that Maryland has some good programs too. Florida is stingy with services, but they are available. You need a good advocate to get services in Florida.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

07 Jan 2018, 8:17 pm

my adoptive parents just dropped me off in florida in october. it doesnt take 6 months get residency at all. you just need to have proof of a change of address, such as a florida drivers license or the packet they send you in the mail notifying you of your change of address.
i was able to get the foodstamps. still havent been approved for ssi yet but im still waiting on it. been waiting since may of 2016.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2018, 1:49 pm

starkid wrote:

No offense or anything but Please do not ever recommend city data for anyone who has questions about stuff like this....

people on that site are really backwards and messed up... trust me, I would know...

creativesoul
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jan 2018, 11:58 pm

I want to move to Florida, too, at least for winter. I am having wheezing and asthma flareups here. I was having similar questions about benefits I currently receive. I should reapply for disability.