What is your favorite type of Science Fiction?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 6:09 pm

Mine is Space Opera.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2017, 9:47 pm

I like science fiction/horror, such as John W. Campbell's Who Goes There? (which had been the basis of The Thing), as well as H.P. Lovecraft classics such as The Shadow Out Of Time, At The Mountains Of Madness, Herbert West - Reanimator (the basis of Re-Animator), and The Colour Out Of Space.

Gypsum
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2017, 1:08 am

Sci-Fi in general, i'm not locked in and out of sub genres. I'll read it if it's interesting.
I do prefer either multiple volume series or long books. My fav is the X-Wing series by far. It's just fun.

If i feel i'm being spoon fed, i drop it like a hot rock.

I'm also a sucker for a good Zombie book/series.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 6:37 am

No particular favorite subgenre, but I've really gotten into cyberpunk lately.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2017, 2:58 pm

Cyberpunk is my favorite type, sci post apocalyptic is a 2nd (not your typical young adult dystopian book I'm talking things like Appleseed and Ergo Proxy).

I think scifi settings like Trigun and Vampire Hunter D are amazing, there is more to their settings than meets the eye.

Vampire Hunter D looks like a typical HP Lovecraft and Victorian London setting at first until you realize it actually takes place 10,000 years in the future and there is advance tech. Apparentely in 1999 a nuclear holocaust happened which wiped out most of the world but vampires were prepared for it. With their advance tech and magic the vampires were able to rebuild the world in their image and become the ruling race. They even created their own substitute for human blood, but they still like drinking human blood. Most of the monsters in that world were not natural and instead created by vampires, very few creatures are actual demons. You see some things that tell you the setting is not what it seems like cybernetic horses, laser guns, and Victorian looking space ships.

If you look at Trigun in the first half of the episodes/chapters it just looks like the wild west with a few cyborgs and power plants shaped like light bulbs, until you learn, that the setting is actually full on sci fi. The main character Vash The Stampede actually has a mechanical arm with a gun that he keeps covered so people think it's a normal arm. He is an energy warping being that looks human which is why he essentially has eternal youth and has looked 23 for over 150 years, and has a ton of powers he rarely uses. The planet they're on isn't even Earth. Earth was overpopulated and quickly depleting in resources so they sent out ships with people on them in cryo sleep so they start their lives on a new planet.

The planet they found had a breathable atmosphere but barely any water and other resources so when they crash landed on it, it is why everything looks like the wild west despite their being tech advanced enough to have cyborgs around because the planet was an arid wasteland. They had to use mostly parts of their crashed ships to build non-stone or wood structures. I like how when they finally show you that it is not Earth they're on its when Vash shoots an energy blast at a moon and everyone points out how he made a hole on the FIFTH moon. It's also revealed that the race that Vash belongs to is created by humans to be used as an energy source to convert energy into electricity, water, and even food. Most of them can't survive out their containers that are shaped like light bulbs.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 4:07 pm

I like heavy surrealism or exploring the consequences of advanced technologies on society and ethics.

I'm a fan of Philip K. Dick.

I really enjoyed the short story version of The Minority Report.

I also really enjoy certain types of Mad Scientist characters like Walter Bishop from FRINGE or Dr. Ford from WestWorld.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 6:04 pm

Dystopian sci-fi, such as Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, 1984 and The Road.

PhoenixJPax
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Apr 2017, 5:04 pm

I'm also a fan of PKD's work

In general though, I like near future hitech/spytech type of stories

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 5:12 pm

Any that is interesting and sucks me in I don't really have any specific types I seek out. I like star wars, star trek, battle star galactica, alien vs. predator...as well as just the alien and predator movies... There is a movie I saw called The thirteenth floor about virtual reality that one was interesting. The matrix movies were pretty good though I never got into that quite so much as other people. I used to watch dragon ball z and that is sorta sci fi anime.

But yeah there's others I like thats all I can think of by name right now though.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 2:09 pm

Dystopian
Parallel universes. (like Nightmare street, book and movie, and the creepypasta The Other Internet)

I love the theme of someone thinking everything is a bit off (as in Undercurrent by Paul Blackwell which I read earlier this year and absolutely loved) and someone thinking a loved one is no longer the same (like in Invasion of the body snatchers, one of my favorite movies)
I also like sci fi that is in the borderland sci fi/horror and sci fi/ thriller

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 6:17 pm

Stuff that's barely even science fiction. I like Huxley, Ballard and Burroughs. I like stuff that's more obviously SF, just not as much. I could never really get into Dick or le Guin.

My favourite book of all time is Frankenstein if you could put that in the SF category.

To watch on telly, I like space operas (totally different to what I like to read). They don't really make space operas for telly anymore. My favourite was Babylon 5.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 9:50 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Stuff that's barely even science fiction. I like Huxley, Ballard and Burroughs. I like stuff that's more obviously SF, just not as much. I could never really get into Dick or le Guin.

My favourite book of all time is Frankenstein if you could put that in the SF category.

To watch on telly, I like space operas (totally different to what I like to read). They don't really make space operas for telly anymore. My favourite was Babylon 5.

William Burroughs is one of my all time favorite authors.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 9:02 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

What's your favourite book by him?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 2:32 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What's your favourite book by him?

Naked Lunch.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 2:32 pm

I love all sorts, but for reading I usually stick to pulp and/or space opera with a bit of hard SF when I can find it.

Right now, I'm reading The Expanse series, which I would classify as space opera playing at hard SF from time to time.

I really like the Earth-Mars-Outer Planets politics and world building.

snollygoster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2017, 10:29 pm

As much as I love science as a subject, my favorite kind of science fictions are often the soft ones. The ones where every planet is somewhat habitable and every alien looks like a human with maybe different ears or something :alien:
I like these the best because they focus on the characters more than the ones that focus on worldbuilding. (Also since they're easier to write, they're easier to find)

My alltime favorite scifi author is Brian W. Aldiss. I've only been able to find a few stories by him since he is not as well known as Asimov, but his stories seem to really focus on how the future will change us as a human society.