What is your favorite type of Science Fiction?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

snollygoster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2017, 10:29 pm

As much as I love science as a subject, my favorite kind of science fictions are often the soft ones. The ones where every planet is somewhat habitable and every alien looks like a human with maybe different ears or something :alien:
I like these the best because they focus on the characters more than the ones that focus on worldbuilding. (Also since they're easier to write, they're easier to find)

My alltime favorite scifi author is Brian W. Aldiss. I've only been able to find a few stories by him since he is not as well known as Asimov, but his stories seem to really focus on how the future will change us as a human society.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 3:15 pm

I'd say mine is Space Opera, too. One of my all-time favourites is a trilogy of books written for Games Workshop's Warhammer 40K franchise called The Inquisition War. The author Ian Watson has such a distinctive style of storytelling, it really didn't surprise me when I later found out he was also a poet. Definitely one of the best pieces of this genre I've ever read, but I wish there was more books out there that truly holds that epic status.
Really I need to get hold of the Dune series.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 9:58 am

Undoubtedly time travel.

snollygoster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2017, 8:01 pm

Alita, what kind of time travel stories? The harder science ones that talk about paradoxes for hours on end? (Those are fun,) Or the ones that are more wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey? (those are also fun!)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 8:36 pm

i have a preference for future time travel stories or stories about the future in general. but i like past-time-travel tales as well. 8) or interdimensional travel adventures 8)

MickeyT2008
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jun 2017, 6:39 pm

40's to 70's sci fi. It's not so old that the science is simplistic yet it's from an age where we were optimistic about the future of space exploration and colonisation.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 7:57 pm

snollygoster wrote:
Alita, what kind of time travel stories? The harder science ones that talk about paradoxes for hours on end? (Those are fun,) Or the ones that are more wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey? (those are also fun!)

The ones that focus on character and plot. Robert Zemeckis' Back to the Future trilogy is great. Also, a long time ago, a TV show aired in Australia called The Girl From Tomorrow. It had pretty crap effects, but the story and acting were fantastic.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 8:05 pm

^^^^ girl from tomorrow, eh? i'll have to see if it ever was released on NTSC format.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 8:14 pm

Cyberpunk:

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 8:55 pm

I like most any subgenre----I like the most-mentioned, here: Space Operas (especially), and Cyber Punk, as well----but, I DON'T like the movies that we used to watch in the 60s (like, "The Ant that Ate Japan", or whatever they were, if they count as Sci-Fi).

I like alot of the older ones, better, sometimes, though----cuz, I figure if they can "sell" me, WITHOUT CGI, that's a GOOD movie (CGI makes things, too easy, in-a-way).

I really like things that make me think----one of my all-time favorite books, is "Cell", by Stephen King.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 9:39 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^^ girl from tomorrow, eh? i'll have to see if it ever was released on NTSC format.

:)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 9:48 pm

Alita wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

unfortunately, it was only released in PAL format region 2, not for north America. :(

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 11:13 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Alita wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

unfortunately, it was only released in PAL format region 2, not for north America. :(

Darn. I hate all this region bulls**t. You would have loved it. :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 11:28 pm

Alita wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Alita wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

yeh, i'm sure I woulda. prolly at least as much as "sliders."

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 11:47 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Alita wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Alita wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I loved that show! :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 1:45 am

Alita wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Alita wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Alita wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I loved that show! :D

it's been decades since I saw it on tv.