Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 6:24 pm

My dad really enjoys bicycling, and he wants me to buy my own bike so we can do it together. I'm not opposed to the idea, but the bikes my dad wants me to buy cost $500 or more. I can't forsee myself really using it except for when we go out together. I told him I'd rather buy a cheap $100 bike at Walmart, but he insists those are junk and the only good bikes are the really expensive ones. What do you guys think? Do I really have to shell out multiple hundreds of dollars to get a decent bicycle?

sleepyjasp
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Apr 2017, 7:38 am

Riding a cheap bike can be fairly unpleasant. Although, it really depends on the model and the territory you ride. If you only use it around town it would probaby do the job. However, you could also look for a good used bike.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

23 Apr 2017, 9:58 am

Here's a little test you can apply to evaluate a bike: Go up to it and place your hand palm up under the horizontal bar right under the seat. Grasp the bar and lift the bike off the ground. If you have to grunt to get the thing off the ground, of course, don't buy it. That's probably what will happen when you "meet" one at WalMart; in fact, I checked one there myself a couple weeks ago and that was my experience. Now, go up to your dad's bike and do the same thing. By comparison, it should practically float upwards. You should be able to hoist it with very little effort. That gives you an idea of how much extra weight you would be transporting around with a cheap one.

Yes, look for a used bike. There are usually some on Craigs list plus there may be bicycle shops in your area that sell used bikes. And don't overlook yard sales--I bought my Bianchi at one about 10 years ago for $50. It was in great shape, the tires needed air but otherwise it was ready to ride.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

lennyk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2017, 8:36 pm

Cycling is one of the best forms of exercise and as an aspie
A good cycling workout can achieve full mental zoning out.

Of course I am not talking about casual riding around the block but more
Stretching your fitness limit type workouts.

If your dad is talking about cycling for periods of hour or more then
A better bike which fits your body size will make a big difference.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 10:53 am

try looking for nicer second hand bikes too

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 11:09 am

It is true that the "only good bikes are the really expensive ones," but most humans aren't Lance Armstrong where every ounce of machinery equals a decrease in endurance and speed. Most humans are perfectly okay with peddling around for the sheer fun of it. I presume your father meant to have fun with you, right? My favorite bikes were all Huffy brand bikes and weighed maybe 10 times what a racing bike does. But, I loved them; and they are built like tanks. They last forever.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2017, 3:29 pm

I'm constantly surprised at how much decent bikes cost these days. I bought a cheap one a while back, and it was ok, except when I used to cycle to work all the cyclists on their decent bikes would overtake me with ease. Anyway, even though my bike was cheap that didn't stop it getting stolen :-(

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 4:24 pm

The medium price bike I got for my first communion at age 9 served me for almost 10 years (till my friend killed the brakes which were set unusual way to react to a slightest touch and he used full force on them so they snapped) despite surviving a lot of accidents(it ended with damaged plastic pedals and brake holder but it didn't even have to be fixed, it was just visual problem) and often staying in the rain (some rusted spots appeared but the bike was still good, again - only visual problem). And I don't remember if I ever had to fix the air. Maybe once every a few months of use.

The cheap bike I bought afterwards survived 4 months - it broke after first contact with curbstone at slow speed (I only traveled 3 meters, straight line. How fast could it be?). The wheel shape changed and a crack appeared on the frame. The bike got fixed soon but I hate riding it now because it makes a sound with with every roll of the before-broken wheel. It also is all rusty despite not being used often. And I have to fix the air literally every time I want to use the bike because air escapes the wheels easily (they get slightly soft after 3 weeks in basement or an hour of use).

No more cheap bikes.
I am also planning to buy a new bike soon (for now I am using my dads bike - it is really old, ugly and too big for me but it works and I don't have to worry about it making funny sounds and the air is not escaping).
And when I do I will get a medium priced one.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 4:52 pm

MY dad and I went out looking for bikes a couple months ago. We both settled on one, a Cypress Giant Deluxe that was $450. Really nice bike. My dad had promised beforehand to split the cost with me. I figured he meant split it evenly, about $225 each. Instead, he decided he was only going to pay $50, the rest was up to me. I told him I was already short on money, and I couldn't afford to throw $400 at a fancy bike. $200 would already have been pushing it. He got mad and took me home. The end :P

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 5:04 pm

I know the trails you'll be riding on (cuz I ride 'em too). You don't want a walmart bike. Look on Craigslist for a good used mountain bike. That will give you the most bang for your buck and the kind of versatility you'll need.

Even if you get one that's really rough (with a good frame) a bike shop will tune it up and replace cables, etc. for less than $100.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 5:12 pm

We won't be riding trails. We have a really long, paved bike path that my dad uses. That's why he wants me to get a luxury bike like the Cypress instead of a mountain bike.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 4:10 pm

I was browsing craiglist today, and I found this. There's no way my dad would be happy with a bike like this, but maybe it'll get the job done until I can shell out for one that'll actually make him happy. I mean, it's only $25 right? Seems like you guys know more about bikes than I do, so what do you think?

https://fayar.craigslist.org/bik/6120492256.html

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2017, 8:01 pm

I think you need to look at the bigger picture. Your dad cares about you and wants an activity to do with you. You are making this all about money and probably annoying the hell out of him. He can either do it ALL for you or you can be proactive. Maybe he could afford the bike but you need to be the one who deicedes he wants this. Because right now you show zero interest so why should he pay for it? You are a grown up.

If you don't like the bike sell it. If it is a nice bike you will always be able to. If you barley use it I bet you could list it for $50 under retail on craigslist and it will be gone in a day. Is your dad worth $50?

I understand there is only so much money to go around but if you really do want to spend time with your dad get the bike. If you don't say so and stop getting his hopes up.

Sorry if this comes off harsh but to me this sounds like a time when you may be making someone mad without realizing it.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 8:29 pm

Mr_Miner wrote:
Because right now you show zero interest so why should he pay for it? You are a grown up.

If you're done projecting, maybe you should go back and reread literally everything I wrote. I never once said I wanted him to pay for everything. He offered to split the cost with me but it was still too expensive. I *do* want a bike, but I'm not going to drive myself bankrupt for it.

Yeah, you're coming off as pretty harsh. Also, ignorant, condescending, and just an overall prick.