Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2017, 8:03 am

I'd like to show a couple of scenes. This first one I know the context of the scene, but don't speak Japanese. However, I don't think you need either to at least guess at the gist of what it's about. Is that so, anyone who doesn't know?

Now next we have one that's designed to do what the thread title says:

Starts at 1:08. 2mins to tell you everything you need to know about the game and get you invested in it with no words. I find both videos moving. So does anyone else have any examples to share or thoughts on these two scenes?

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 4:30 am

Submerged is one game that pulled off the whole "tell a story without saying a single word" thing pretty well, I think. It uses silent cutscenes and pictures instead, but it's never impossible to decipher what's going on.

Game's great, by the way. I can easily recommend it to everyone.

PaperMajora
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 May 2017, 12:50 am

The story mode in Super Smash Bros Brawl is an example of this.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 3:27 am

I would not say that this type of storytelling is solely unique to games, for a large part Wall-E does storytelling with minimal storytelling. For games it goes back to the arcades.

I thought that this topic would be on environmental story telling. The sort of thing you see in games like Fallout, Dark Souls, Breath of the Wild, and others. Where games can tell story not by narration (words), but by things put into the environment for a player to discover.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 7:28 pm

Brothers a tale of two son: the characters are talking but this is in a invented language that is not translated. The game tell a very dark story.