Oxford: Students who avoid eye contact could be racists!

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 12:17 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
Maybe true if it means the person dislikes the Human Race.

Yeah, autism obviously means antisocial, duh. /s

For f**k's sake. :roll:

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 12:22 am

Ignotum wrote:
Good God... Only a massive facepalm can suffice to show how much I am stupefied by the ignorance of some people. This is what SJW culture has gotten us, you know. Next their gonna say that looking at someone for over 3 seconds is sexual harassment!

I agree. But I do think the OP is being sarcastic to a level no one can understand.

Ignotum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2017, 1:06 am

wrongcitizen wrote:
Ignotum wrote:
Good God... Only a massive facepalm can suffice to show how much I am stupefied by the ignorance of some people. This is what SJW culture has gotten us, you know. Next their gonna say that looking at someone for over 3 seconds is sexual harassment!

I agree. But I do think the OP is being sarcastic to a level no one can understand.

Well I was being a bit sarcastic myself, or at the very least exaggerating for satirical purposes. So don't take my words above completely literally either.

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Apr 2017, 6:26 pm

Bit of cognitive dissonance from the dear SJW ideologists considering they recently incorporated neurodiversity (along with appellations like "individuality," "freethinker," and "non-conformity" it is very much highly subject to all kinds of argumentum ad dictionarium contentions) and autistic rights into their putrid, unadulterated and anti-intellectualist "philosophies." Eye contact can be psychologically enduring for me at times as I get perturbed if people (except, perhaps a very pretty and classy woman) are staring at me in the eye for whatever reasoning, as most with AS/HFA would indeed find so.

If this policy along with many other Orwellian types (especially using the argumentum ad baculum tactic by criminalizing words like mankind, forefathers and sportsmanship e.t.c. otherwise marks would be unmeritocratically penalized amongst undergraduates in the blatant sense) were exerted on me resulting in "shameful reprehension," I would leave without haste and sue the administrators big time. The government needs to stringently intervene by passing an act to stop ideological homogeneity and partisanism (freedom of thought is a lie) like this promoted by these universities (especially western ones); as well as putting an end to the grade inflation practices and the long-time, advertent dumbing down enactments as well, but that will never happen because that's the Hegelian dialectical divide and rule ideological collectivist matrix for you, it poisons everything...

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 2:59 am

Oxford University Apologises After Being Accused Of Calling People With Autism ‘Racist’

Quote:
Oxford University has since apologised via Twitter for failing to take into account “other reasons for difference in eye contact and social interaction, including disability”.

In a further statement, a spokesperson for the university said it was “apologising to everyone” who had raised concerns about autism with regards to its recent advice.

“The newsletter was too brief to deal adequately and sensibly with the issue,” they said.

“This was a mistake. We are stressing to everyone contacting us that Oxford deeply values and works hard to support students and staff with disabilities, including those with autism or social anxiety disorder.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 3:10 am

**Oxford University has since apologised via Twitter for failing to take into account “other reasons for difference in eye contact and social interaction, including disability”. **

How embarrassing! I would have thought the researchers should have apologised though rather than the "hallowed" halls of Oxford? never seen a building talk before

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 10:16 am

xxxxxxxxxxxxDDDDDDDDDDDD

I think this is what my boyfriend meant when he said that PC culture was getting out of control o-o

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 12:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
hmmm people not reading the article...

"could be" doesn't actually mean "all people who don't give eye contact are racist"

Most people would not notice the difference. When researchers publish something like that, they can expect to be misunderstood. Not saying it's right, but this is how the world functions.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 10:29 pm

To be fair neither the narrow minded bigots who stereotype people with autism or people with autism who are hypersensitive to stereotyping are likely to read a psychology journal.

Copies of this journal will be locked away in an old teak cabinet with fairly beautiful stained glass doors in an old hall or library in Oxford University collecting dust

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 10:45 pm

In some cultures making a lot of eye contact is not a good thing, and if you stare at people all the time that makes them think you're psycho.

Don't listen to such nonsense. A few months later they'll probably come up with something equally as stupid that contradicts this current study. Like when they said owning a cat can give your kids asthma but then they said getting one can prevent your kids from getting asthma. Are you kidding me??

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 11:32 am

I read yesterday that they apologized for this statement. Yeah right, as they're *really* sorry they said such a stupid thing. I don't buy it. Not accepted. :evil:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 12:07 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I read yesterday that they apologized for this statement. Yeah right, as they're *really* sorry they said such a stupid thing. I don't buy it. Not accepted. :evil:

Oxford University are trying to avoid vicarious liability to any possible embarrassment or even litigation as the researchers were employed by them when the article was published

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2017, 11:36 am

Ignotum wrote:

Already did. These ivy league schools are a joke. Rich privileged kids whining about how privileged we all are and everything is somehow offensive.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 5:33 pm

This is nonsense which should be addressed.

But should also be ignored as input when assessing one's autistic self.

alk123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 May 2017, 7:01 pm

Asinine BS.

MarioFan99
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 May 2017, 6:27 pm

Eye contact is like staring into the sun for me. Good thing I live nowhere near Oxford!