Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 12:17 pm

I will explain this with as little detail as possible, but it's 100% true.

Several years ago I was in the fortunate (for an Aspie) position of commuting to work by rail every day. Back then (less than 10 years ago) it was still fairly common for people to read paperback or even hard-bound books rather then use a Kindle or some sort of tablet (although a Kindle is far superior to any tablet for this purpose).

One day, I just happened to become conscious of the apparent phenomenon that every black person I saw reading - young, older, male, or female - was reading something that had a religious i.e. Christian theme of some sort. So I decided to continue to pay conscious attention to this. I suppose I would quit as soon as I saw a black person reading something of a clearly secular nature (such as The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which is what everybody seemed to be reading at the time).

Not once did I see a black person reading anything secular. If you were to consider this as a stereotype, then I would have to say that it's a completely valid stereotype. Note this has to do specifically with African Americans not the Senegalese immigrant you might have seen yesterday evening on the Paris Metro.

I feel I can say this is a valid stereotype about African Americans. It doesn't necessarily imply anything negative about them (in fact my boss is African American, I've never seen her reading a book, though!).

Does anyone think I have a problem with this?

RandomCitizen80
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Apr 2017, 3:11 pm

Maybe a valid stereotype for the small number of people who you happened to take note of and who happened to be on the same schedule as you and who also happened to take public transportation and happened to live in the same radius of you.

So from a purely objective standpoint: no, unvalid.

Your hypothesis would be thrown out due to insufficient data, non-random participant pool, an excess of external variables, outdated data (old memories are not considered scientific in any way and can easily be warped over time), and no control group/baseline.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 3:16 pm

Stereotypes don't come out of nothing, it's often an exaggeration of a behavior pattern, and a simplification as well.

The black people who commuted at the same train with you is a much more specific group than african americans, they live in a certain region, belong to a certain class, etc. It's good to take in consideration how it interacts with their race.

But I think it's absolutely normal to understand the world thru this kind of patterns, but we should be aware on how limited is those stereotypes and don't make judgments based solely on them.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 4:17 pm

MaxE wrote:
I feel I can say this is a valid stereotype about African Americans.

No, it's not. Your evidence is scant.

MaxE wrote:

I would say yes. Consciously watching what black people (American not Senegalese) are reading is a little odd to me. And how do you know people's ethnicity anyway.

Honestly, this stinks of racism.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 4:48 am

Yes if you were walking down a Paris Banlieue you might need to stereotype your surroundings as a potential a threat for your own safety.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 6:12 am

androbot01 wrote:
MaxE wrote:

No, it's not. Your evidence is scant.

MaxE wrote:

I would say yes. Consciously watching what black people (American not Senegalese) are reading is a little odd to me. And how do you know people's ethnicity anyway.

Honestly, this stinks of racism.

Oh come on, don't go down the racism road. It's probably just a pattern noticed because autism. And nothing more or less than that. I notice things in a natural sort of way, and tend to read any words that I see.

But yes the sample size is way too small. There may be a very specific reason why on that particular train it happens with black people.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 8:13 am

Drake wrote:
Oh come on, don't go down the racism road. It's probably just a pattern noticed because autism. And nothing more or less than that. ....

MaxE wrote:
...One day, I just happened to become conscious of the apparent phenomenon that every black person I saw reading - young, older, male, or female - was reading something that had a religious i.e. Christian theme of some sort.
Not once did I see a black person reading anything secular.

The observation may come out of an autistic fixation, but the conclusion is racist.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 8:39 am

An exageration based on truth. The church is central to a lot of African-American social life. Soul and R&B music borrows heavily from gospel music. A lot if not most of the singers in those genres started out in thier church choir.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 9:26 am

Quote:
abstract thinking
the final, most complex stage in the development of cognitive thinking, in which thought is characterized by adaptability, flexibility, and the use of concepts and generalizations. Problem solving is accomplished by drawing logical conclusions from a set of observations, for example, making hypotheses and testing them. This type of thinking is developed by 12 to 15 years of age, usually after some degree of education. In psychiatry, many disorders are characterized by the inability to think abstractly. Compare concrete thinking, syncretic thinking.
Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 9th edition. © 2009, Elsevier.
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictio ... t+thinking

Telling someone that they can never make any generalization, ever, would tend to keep them in a helpless, disorganized state of arrested development.

A stereotype implies that you can create and effectively test a mental model of the world. It's something that all adults have to do, even if they are lying about it.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 12:15 pm

MaxE wrote:
Can a stereotype be justified?

IMO, no----at least, not in the example provided in the OP, because there's too many conflicting variables.

If you're saying that ALL African Americans read these types of books----then, I don't feel that's true; cuz, here in Baltimore, most of what I see blacks reading, is smut books (aka Romance Novels - the nasty kind).

IMO, You can't even say that all African Americans in the Mid-Atlantic read those types of books, as I also live in the Mid-Atlantic.

Also, how do you know that all of the blacks you saw, were American blacks, just because their skin was black? What if all of them were Nigerian missionaries, or something? Did you hear every single one of them speak, with an American accent?

That's the whole point of why stereotyping is not a good idea----cuz, it unfairly judges people (even if it's in a GOOD way [as in reading Christian books would be, for some people]), because then one goes-around thinking ALL whatever people are like that, and then their bubble will be inevitably burst, by the first person who doesn't fit into their incorrect assumption (and, often, the person stereotyping, will blame the person about whom they made the assumption, because they didn't fit neatly into the box, in which they had put them; so, that's a DOUBLE whammy, IMO, on BOTH the person stereotyping and the person[s] being stereotyped).

IMO, it seems a stereotype can NEVER be justified----I mean, for instance, it's quite possible that that is, at least, ONE of the reasons someone came-up-with the saying "If you've met one person with Autism, you've met one person with Autism", so that we can be accepted as individuals.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 12:46 pm

stereotypes can be rationalized but not justified.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 5:28 pm

A few points based on what has been said.

My life experience regarding stereotypes is that they never hold up under scrutiny. What shocked me was how uniform my observations were in this situation. I should have stressed this. I sometimes assume too much as to how much others understand the basis for my thinking.

What I reported is not racist. I know enough to say it wasn't racist; and no, I am not one of those people who loves to rail again "political correctness". I saw what I saw. In fact, I didn't try to draw any sort of conclusion about what I saw, except for the possibility that some stereotypes might actually be valid. I can think of some hypotheses I could have considered, but I won't suggest any here.

You can think it racist if you prefer. It's not an argument I would try to win.

As to who these people were that I observed, I can safely suppose that they were all traveling to office jobs in DC which is the seat of the Federal Government and not much else, and a great many of them, if not most, have University degrees of some sort.

Not so sure if it matters, but that rail line passes through Prince Georges County which is distinguished for being the wealthiest majority black county in the US (you can Google it). Perhaps a false correlation, but an interesting fact nonetheless.

Why I didn't see anyone reading a cheap romance novel as @Campin_Cat would have predicted, I couldn't say. Probably would have eventually, but after a while I lost interest.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 5:45 pm

I've seen African-Americans on the subway read secular books.

I've seen white people on the subway read the Bible.

The solution to the OP's dilemma: go out in the world more.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 12:21 pm

You can think that most chickens are covered in feathers, when, sometimes, they are molting. This is a bias, and it is also, generally true, in spite of rare exceptions to the rule.

Does the bias come from personal experience, or is it a flight of fancy, like saying that most cats are dressed like Puss in Boots.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 4:02 pm

I live in the DC area and ride the Metro too.

See folks of every skin color on it. Most of them seemed to be hooked up to electronic devices rather than reading anything.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 4:05 pm

A stopped clock is right twice a day. The odds are that you will occasionally see something in real life that conforms to a stereotype.

For example there are stereotypes about every state in the Union, including Massachusettes.

http://cdn.frank151.com/wp-content/uplo ... 209352.jpg