I grew up in the Westboro Baptist Church. Here's why I left

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 11:59 am

And, you're not being disrespectful, in the least, afaic.

It's just that we are no longer able to hear her beliefs, if any.

She has to self-censor, now, I think.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 4:00 pm

Well, but again on Sam Harris's Waking Up podcast she did make some positive statements that had specific content. It's not a full mystery.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 12:24 pm

The fact that she is giving any opinion, on a divisive issue, alienates one side or the other.

Or, she can't have an opinion. Whatever it is, pro or con, is going to be hurtful to someone.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 3:57 pm

Then people need to 'grow a pair' - whichever's appropriate for their gender.

The whole point is we can't have peace in this world if we're coddling people so extremely that every bigotry, prejudice, pet opinion, etc.. that they have is held sacred as 'their feelings' and kept safe from civil discourse, logic, and reason. If we can't cut through that we're headed in a direction where we probably have someone else doing it for us in lieu of having a representative democracy and at the cost of our freedoms and way of life.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 10:41 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Then people need to 'grow a pair' - whichever's appropriate for their gender.

This is considered hate speech, and some would report you, for that. (Not me.)

With all due respect, I don't believe that we can have sanity, when there is a battle of definition, particularly, pertaining to moral absolutes and laws of nature. Gender is an irreducibly-simple concept, akin to shape and sense of direction, ie. orientation. How is someone who doesn't know top from bottom supposed to count money or build a machine.

If you mean to pursue them, to the point logical extremes, all the different kinds of illicit sex, or whichever vices, are eventually a recipe for failure, in nature, society, or under objectivism.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 11:20 am

That just re-verifies that there's such a thing as objective reality and truths that can be said about it from critical observation, which refutes relativism. The point being - if people are so ignorant and proud of their ignorance, forget their feelings. They can can either try handling reasoned discussion or go find a place on the edge of civilization to live and keep to themselves. They shouldn't be making policy, and people should really be motivated to action in an alarmed manner when they're fighting for the reigns of power for the purposes of shutting down open debate in favor of their own dogmas and doctrines.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 11:31 am

There are Bible verses which say, to shake the dust from your feet, as a testimony, against them.

I read nothing about, retrofitting Ozzey Osbourne songs with fundamentalist lyrics, and waving fluorescent signs in their faces, nor about sleeping on their couch.

For confirmed, arch leftists, reading, the freedom of association implies the freedom of dissociation. The choice not to endorse something or not to participate is neutrality and tolerance. Voluntary self-segregation is not a hatecrime.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 12:01 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Thank you for posting this, Techstepgenr8tion! What a wonderful talk! I hadn't read up on the WBC in a few years. Megan leaving was probably the last I remember hearing. I'm delighted that she found peace and is sharing what she's learned.

Yes, it is an interesting talk on many different levels. She grew up in what was essentially an insular cult (Like the Branch Davidians, etc). Its interesting how the WBC works. And she raises the question that we all, in the noninsular wider world, might be becoming more cult-like because of media etc.. Maybe, maybe not. Its a lot to chew on.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 2:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
And she raises the question that we all, in the noninsular wider world, might be becoming more cult-like because of media etc.. Maybe, maybe not. Its a lot to chew on.

Something like that.

It's really fracturing of reality by the fracturing of the media and the 'anything goes' environment on the media. The Chris Poole post to Sargon of Akkad's channel that I posted earlier as a thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYXeNfxFfs4

The only thing I think that could be of much aid is that people get tired enough of cable advertising with 'news' as a footnote and push for actual journalists to tell them what's really happening - not just what they think they'll want to hear.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 2:41 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
And she raises the question that we all, in the noninsular wider world, might be becoming more cult-like because of media etc.. Maybe, maybe not. Its a lot to chew on.

Something like that.

It's really fracturing of reality by the fracturing of the media and the 'anything goes' environment on the media. The Chris Poole post to Sargon of Akkad's channel that I posted earlier as a thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYXeNfxFfs4

The only thing I think that could be of much aid is that people get tired enough of cable advertising with 'news' as a footnote and push for actual journalists to tell them what's really happening - not just what they think they'll want to hear.

Oh yeah. I saw that video that you posted as well. And noticed the thematic commonality to the video in the OP in this thread.

Despite the fact that that Chris Poole guy wears a knit cap while living in the tropics (how can you trust a guy who does that? Lol!), what he says does seem to make sense about the fragmentation of the media.

And yeah...some Netcitizens you encounter do seem to....live in a whole different reality...than do other folks. Especially in this last election cycle. Lol!It is getting kinda scary.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 9:58 pm

Sargon seems to be beating this drum a bit as well lately. He did an hour-long history and intricacies of BAMN (By Any Means Necessary), at the end touching on at least a few teens who were taken into the organization, separated from their parents, and significantly harassed on their desire to leave. I guess they've been around earlier than 2009 and they've been this loony now for close to ten years?

This is something Sargon referred to in the video, something he put together in August where he poured over some the details of what Dr Arthur Deikman presented in his cult research book, The Wrong Way Home.