Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 3:27 pm

KUTV.com wrote:
Fidget spinners much more than just a toy for Utah family
by Amy Nay, KUTV

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Have you heard of them?

Fidget spinners are the latest toy craze, taking over tweens and more in 2017. Forbes named the fidget spinner the hottest office toy of the new year, while educators are now weighing the benefits of these spinning gadgets against the possible distraction the tiny toys can cause in the classroom. Online there are tutorials and tricks, but for one family in northern Utah, it's not just fun and games.

The Cottles say fidget spinners have changed their lives for the better.

"It calms me down when I get stressed out," Kylee Cottle, 10, said Friday from inside the library at her school, the Spectrum Academy Charter School in North Salt Lake.

She said they are soothing and fun and help break the ice when in situations that could typically cause her panic attacks.

"Sometimes I'll have my fidget spinner and I'll see someone and they'll ask about it and we just start up a conversation," she said.

Her mom said Kylee suffers from anxiety and has seen a lot of relief using fidget spinners. Kylee's brother, Chase, 12, is also an avid fidget spinner user and his mother says it has helped immensely.

[...] Chase, who is on the autism spectrum, said he had tried multiple devices and gadgets to try and help soothe him and keep his hands occupied, allowing his mind to focus. He said this is the first thing that really worked for him....

http://kutv.com/news/local/fidget-spinn ... cal-family

Have you heard of these spinners like this ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7T7FPY )?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 12:06 pm

Just bought one , I find it good for taking my mind off things and it stops all my stims when using it.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 12:17 pm

That is good to know. I am intrigued with the spinners, because I like having various textural "things" around me (made of glass, metal, wood, etc.). I own olde fashioned tops and other gadgets, too.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 3:43 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
That is good to know. I am intrigued with the spinners, because I like having various textural "things" around me (made of glass, metal, wood, etc.). I own olde fashioned tops and other gadgets, too.

The only advice I can give is measure the gap when you have you thumb and fore/index finger together and check it against the length of one of the spinner arms. I have quite short and fat fingers and found the cheap ( 99 cents ) 3 armed spinner is difficult to use satisfactory with one hand , I upgraded to a 2 arm smaller spinner which gives more satisfaction. The cheap one was plastic and the more expensive one was metal , the metal one suited me better but the plastic one makes a better noise when spinning.

Have a look at this video if the sky's your limit with regards to budget.

And here is a crazy video of how fast someone made a homemade spinner spin

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard