Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 11:50 am

recently I was snooping around the internet when I found this:

It turns out Goodyear is having plans to sell the Eagle 360 spherical tires to companies interested in manufacturing self-driving cars. So far I like the concept, mainly because it reminds me of a certain game...

Goodyear is also planning on making an more advanced version of the Eagle 360 called the Eagle 360 urban.

Judging by what is shown on the video I belive that the Eagle 360 Urban's concept is very hyperbolic; I can't imagine how Goodyear is willing to pay the potentially high costs for intergrating a micro computer with a highly intelligent A.I. as well as the aforementioned morphing texture in each individual tire.

Regardless of how ridiculously ambitious Goodyear is about it's future efforts, I am eager to see this concept in real life. :)

What do you think of these new type of tires Goodyear is planning to make?

-Thomas Jefferson

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 6:08 am

Problems are clearing water away when it is wet, and they'd be no good for any kind of performance driving, even mild driving. Tyres have different compounds and tread patters on the outside of the tyre than they do the middle so that the car has high traction when cornering and good water clearance when going in a straight line.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 6:54 am

Chichikov wrote:
Problems are clearing water away when it is wet, and they'd be no good for any kind of performance driving, even mild driving. Tyres have different compounds and tread patters on the outside of the tyre than they do the middle so that the car has high traction when cornering and good water clearance when going in a straight line.

You have to tale into account that the Eagle 360 is meant for self driving cars; meaning that it won't be designed for performance driving. Though I imagine there would be a need to control the car anyway since we can't rely on A.I. when it comes to driving our way out of dangerous situations (I.E. natural disasters), which gives me a hard time imagining the kind of controls you would have for a car that runs on sphere wheels. :lol:

-Thomas Jefferson

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 7:44 am

Self driving cars still need to control themselves, and in the future they will probably go even faster than they do currently which will bring up even more problems such as side-wall stability. TBH this looks more like a project where someone is just showing off unconventional engineering rather than coming up with something they think will actually work. GoodYear know fine well how a tyre works, what attributes it needs and why they're not spherical.