Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 8:00 pm

nurseangela wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
If he did smoke marijuana, that would be a reason not to receive a lung transplant (or a heart transplant). ANY smoking of any kind would be a reason just like you cannot drink alcohol or be a drug abuser if you expect to get a liver. I do not know why this would even be questioned.

That's kinda callous. Would you deny someone a heart transplant because they ate an unhealthy diet?

Ask the insurance companies that question. From a health professionals point of view - yes.

Information from UCLA:

Cardiac transplants are performed when all other treatments have been exhausted. However, some individuals are not good candidates for the heart transplant. Individuals with lung, liver, kidney, or nerve disease; a history of cancer; diabetes and poorly functioning organs; diseases affecting leg and neck blood vessels; active infections such as hepatitis; lifestyle factors that may cause damage to the new heart such as smoking, or alcohol or drug abuse; and the inability to comply with doctor's instructions regarding medications and doctor appointments are not good heart transplant candidates.

The recipient would have to follow a cardiac diet and exercise routine and as it says above, no smoking or drinking or drugs.

What about the Hippocratic Oath? I guess it wouldn't really apply since you're technically not doing anything.

But damn, if that's how everyone was judged, the only people getting organ transplants would be people who are unlucky enough to have genetic defects... and even then, the parents of those people would probably be reprimanded for breeding in the first place. :x

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 11:33 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
I don't get any of you who think that this decision was wrong. You think you can just go through life and trash your own organs then demand to get someone else's and then be able to trash that organ too?! I'm an organ donor (against my Ma's wishes), but I may just change that after listening to all of this crap because I don't want any of my organs that I'm trying to take care of just so that I can live longer going to someone who is going to misuse them for their own satisfaction. An organ transplant is a privilege - not a right. Someone has to die just so someone else can live. Maybe you should all think about that for awhile.

Someday they might be able to grow organs for transplants then people can go hog wild with their damn drugs.

Because they're human beings.

What does this even mean? I think it means you want to be able to have both worlds - smoking your crap and the right to someone else's organs that they had to die for in order to give to someone else - voluntarily I might add. People have to volunteer to give someone else their organs. Maybe there should be a clause on who they would prefer their organs to be donated to. That sounds like a great idea.

This subject sure has given me a reality check on whether I still want to put organ donation on my drivers license.

It means all human beings are of equal worth, and so should all be given the same life giving measures.

Or they should stop doing the things that stop them from receiving the life-saving measures. How about that? Hate to break it to you, but all people are not equal especially when it comes to expensive healthcare - reality check coming from a realist.

And that's the trouble with American healthcare right there - not everyone is seen as equal, especially with more expensive operations. The same discrimination is held against people due to financial status.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 6:44 am

nurseangela wrote:
Harmful to who? Anyone who uses illegal drugs, smokes or drinks alcohol more than just "socially" has no right to receive another person's organs over someone who is taking care of themselves ...

But there is no evidence that he smoked marijuana other than socially. The THC could have been in his system for months. And I just can't see someone with pneumonia smoking anything. I am a long-time cannabis smoker and I have at times been ill with bronchitis, etc., and I can assure you that smoking at that time was impossible. Smoking after receiving a double lung transplant seems like an impossibility to me.
Again I am not disagreeing that someone who abuses their body should be precluded from receiving a transplant, rather I am arguing that there is no evidence that this guy was a drug abuser.

The reason I called your remarks harmful is because instead of trying to figure out what's going on, you are lumping a bunch of people together and writing them off. I don't disregard people so easily.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Apr 2017, 7:37 am

fwiw the kid died because of complications from the double lung transplant, i don't know if getting it any earlier would help(not that it was right to deny him either) Lungs are like the hardest organs to transplant, people's bodies reject them.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 11:26 pm

nurseangela wrote:
I don't get any of you who think that this decision was wrong. You think you can just go through life and trash your own organs then demand to get someone else's and then be able to trash that organ too?! I'm an organ donor (against my Ma's wishes), but I may just change that after listening to all of this crap because I don't want any of my organs that I'm trying to take care of just so that I can live longer going to someone who is going to misuse them for their own satisfaction. An organ transplant is a privilege - not a right. Someone has to die just so someone else can live. Maybe you should all think about that for awhile.

Someday they might be able to grow organs for transplants then people can go hog wild with their damn drugs.

Yeah,that'll show those druggies, Just let those organs rot in the ground for spite.I bet Jesus would hand his over to a sick person and not judge, not suggesting a hard core addict get an organ. Most people do have an occasional drink or toke without serious health problems.
I'm an organ donor,I don't care who gets mine. Won't matter to me, the dead don't care.
How do they know he didn't ingest it?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 9:32 pm

Misslizard wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Yeah,that'll show those druggies, Just let those organs rot in the ground for spite.I bet Jesus would hand his over to a sick person and not judge, not suggesting a hard core addict get an organ. Most people do have an occasional drink or toke without serious health problems.
I'm an organ donor,I don't care who gets mine. Won't matter to me, the dead don't care.
How do they know he didn't ingest it?

Don't most organ transplants come from people who have legally been declared brain dead anyway? It's not like they're going out and killing random people to harvest their organs. If someone's gonna die anyway and their organs are of some use, why not use them?

On that note, I would more than willingly donate my organs, if I were braindead and they were in good enough shape. Hell, if you paid me enough whie I was alive and conscious, I'd probably donate part of my liver, since that regenerates.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 9:56 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Because they're human beings.

What does this even mean? I think it means you want to be able to have both worlds - smoking your crap and the right to someone else's organs that they had to die for in order to give to someone else - voluntarily I might add. People have to volunteer to give someone else their organs. Maybe there should be a clause on who they would prefer their organs to be donated to. That sounds like a great idea.

This subject sure has given me a reality check on whether I still want to put organ donation on my drivers license.

It means all human beings are of equal worth, and so should all be given the same life giving measures.

Or they should stop doing the things that stop them from receiving the life-saving measures. How about that? Hate to break it to you, but all people are not equal especially when it comes to expensive healthcare - reality check coming from a realist.

And that's the trouble with American healthcare right there - not everyone is seen as equal, especially with more expensive operations. The same discrimination is held against people due to financial status.

Lol yeah I am dreaming if I think I could ever get an organ transplant if one of mine failed...I mean I smoke cigarettes, I smoke cannabis and I drink plus I am poor so that is a double whammy. But if I was wealthy and did all those things there would probably be no problem finding a place to do the operation. But death happens to everyone may as well embrace it as a part of life...if I found I was going to die I would use the time to enjoy my remaining time not try and prolong my life and suffering.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 9:14 am

I don't understand why someone geared toward self treatment, assumes that the situation is hopeless, that he can never restore himself to health.