Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 3:52 pm

I just had a can of Sainsbury's Vegetable Curry for my evening meal. Even before I tasted it, I could tell by the smell that it was going to be too sweet. Checking the label revealed that the can contained 17.2 grams of sugar. That sounds like a lot.

My question is WHY? I can sort of see why it's necessary for a very small amount of salt to be added to such foods, but can't see the point of sugar in curry dishes, baked beans, bread and so on. Would such foods taste worse without any sugar or sweetener?

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 4:20 pm

This is very very upsetting for me! So much that it causes me great anxiety to taste canned or pre-cooked supermarket food. I feel like vomiting right after it touches my tongue.

Food definitely tastes a ton lot better without the added sugar! I'm seriously assuming a conspiracy for sugar addiction or other people really must have a dull sense of taste to understand what's edible!

Deathbox
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Apr 2017, 8:27 pm

komamanga wrote:
Food definitely tastes a ton lot better without the added sugar! I'm seriously assuming a conspiracy for sugar addiction or other people really must have a dull sense of taste to understand what's edible!

It's definitely not a conspiracy, it's a known fact that it gets added to food because it's so addictive (not to mention it's totally legal).

Sugar only looks good compared to HFCS and other sweeteners, because sugar isn't directly linked to seizure disorders, schizophrenia and other terrible conditions. So while we're all panicking about HFCS, the obesity epidemic (and type 2 diabetes) still rages on with good old fashioned sugar.

The only way to avoid refined sugar is to eat real food; typically everything on the parameter of your local grocery store. Most of the aisles are overflowing with refined sugar and even worse substances.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 12:05 pm

if anyone is interested, this lecture is pretty informative.

Glenn1
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Apr 2017, 12:56 am

Sugar in food increases your chances of increasing more fat as you might not came across harmful deeds. But it damages very quick. Because it is artificial made then it is the worst. I have came across such thing that am suffering from serum glucose and uric acid projections.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 4:42 am

seaweed wrote:

if anyone is interested, this lecture is pretty informative.

That lecture is full of psuedo science. There's a reason most top level nutritionists don't take him seriously.

danieldoesnotexist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Apr 2017, 4:49 am

Because it is as addictive as cocaine. That's the reason why it is nearly impossible to have a sugar free diet in the US. They put sugar in everything. Even flaming hot cheetos and takis have sugar, and they are made to be spicy.

wtf

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 11:32 am

Closet Genious wrote:
That lecture is full of psuedo science. There's a reason most top level nutritionists don't take him seriously.

can you explain what is pseudo science about it?

Deathbox

29 Apr 2017, 11:22 pm

danieldoesnotexist wrote:
Because it is as addictive as cocaine. That's the reason why it is nearly impossible to have a sugar free diet in the US. They put sugar in everything. Even flaming hot cheetos and takis have sugar, and they are made to be spicy.

I might be repeating myself from another thread, but you can get the natural source in fruit that doesn't wreak havoc on your body like the freebased (refined) version.

You can't live without carbs, but thankfully they're in most fruits and vegetables.

seaweed wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:

can you explain what is pseudo science about it?

I'd like to know, too.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 2:52 pm

Sugar and salt are preservatives. Sugar and salt taste good, and there's no way to get around that fact. Sugar and salt also disguise other less agreeable flavors. Sugar and salt are cheap and legal. I've seen scientists suggest that small children prefer sweet foods to bitter/sour as a sort of survival mechanism- poisonous wild foods are likely to taste sour/bitter and unlikely to taste sweet. So...there's a lot of reasons.