Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 9:13 pm

This semester I'm doing two works in group and as always I hate it too much – I can't communicate with people because if I'm open and complain about things they get offended and I can't count with the same openness from them, everyone seems really keen into avoiding any kind of conflict which obviously isn't great???

One of my works I was really ashamed of it because I made a very well written peace, and I read proof it a million of times to be clear it wouldn't have any error, and obviously the other people in the group didn't care and delivery text full of errors but very soon to the deadline so I even couldn't correct, I feel so ashamed because now my name is on a work full of stupid errors.

On the other one the girl is better but it is still very difficult. She text me all time about the work, but we don't progress much at the same time I can't have free time. She never tells me what she is going to do, so many times we end doing duplicate stuff, and I told her about it but she seems to not understand. Also she has really difficult to understand priorities, or the basic concept of having a workflow... she wants to do very detailed/advanced stuff without defining any base. It's annoying because I feel I'm spending much time and puting much effort into something that won't turn out nice because we can't communicate well.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 1:39 pm

I personally don't like doing group projects that much myself either. Mostly because you don't get creative freedom of what you want done. And I don't want to deal with people while working on it. So I choose to work alone.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 5:14 pm

With this girl on the second project, I really recommend being direct and matter-of-factly. Just tell her, we can't do something that advanced, we've got to do the straightforward part first, and only then can we do the advanced stuff if we have the time, which you and I both know realistically we probably will not.

With this second girl, you're the leader and coach, just be decent about it. Try to encourage her to do the more useful work.

Maybe even pull back a little bit and see if she'll do the work first. But saving your energies and still having time in case you might need to do it. This is how experienced leaders sometimes do things.

leniorose
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 May 2017, 7:50 pm

My chem class (favorite subject and college major) has a flipped learning thing, so we take notes for homework and do group work everyday.
My chem labs are also done in large groups, about 15 students per group.
MS&E class is 4 hrs long, 3 times a week and is done in 5 person groups, where we learn all kinds of lab tech and experiment design, and work together for years with a few dozen research projects with the school.

I used to hate group work in highschool, but I've gotten used to it in college. It can be a blast when everyone is focused and wants to work.

We were also getting paid, which helped.

Group work gets better.

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 May 2017, 4:15 pm

I particularly hated 'pick your own partner' assignments because as someone who was relatively unknown, I didn't have anyone to exchange smiles with when we could pick our partners so I would always go around looking for someone to be with and for ages and I would always get the same response. I wasn't too fond of group presentations either like one I had last year. I didn't know what to say or even what to add because everyone took over my potential territory so I'm stuck standing there like a robot without batteries. In my most recent one, I made the extra effort to take the initiative but I still felt like I was on a rollercoaster because I felt like a freeloader at one point and then as if I was too far ahead of everyone else at another. it drove me crazy. I remember suggesting we make a group on email and I felt like they thought I was weird for doing the most.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 May 2017, 4:40 pm

It was the worst, I'd always just stayed in my seat when we had to go pick partners. Sometimes the person next to me would partner up but other times I'd just wait for the 1 other person that didnt have a partner or just ask to work alone. Honestly I really doubt my abilities considering how much social anxiety I have, even with powerful drugs it seems ingrained into my personality.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 1:16 am

I ended up going in a separate room to the rest of the class in two of my subject during college I struggled so much, the teacher eventually got the hint and just came and saw me every fifteen minutes, I was fine when my buddy, a guy who actually wanted to get to know me originally was in a class, I did just swell in grades working by myself, I obviously did not gain much social skills but it makes sense why I had a heinous time looking back.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 8:02 am

If you are the person left out of a group project, I recommend announcing to the group, or to one person who appears to be "in charge" that you are shy/awkward and do best if given a specific task. I would say that you don't mind doing a boring task that the others don't want to do. That ensures that no one will bother you or try to redo your portion of the work after you've already done it.

Bubble Gum Addict
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2017, 8:55 pm

Group work can really be very difficult. I have different reasons for having a hard time working in groups. On the one hand, when I join a group to study or to do a project in school, some classmates in my group, in middle school, have no motivation to do any work while I have to do all the work for them. On the other hand, they become distracted by chatting, being silly, and surfing the internet that my classmates and I have a hard time studying or finishing a group assignment. I am more motivated to work on my own than a group to a certain extent. It is unavoidable for me to completely avoid group assignments. They will come back and I have to endure them.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 8:25 am

I've never been fond of group work either. The idea of my grade dependent on other people's work ethic has never set well with me. Partner work is okay though.

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 3:39 pm

I absolutely hated group work. I have always been the outcast no one wanted to work with. I was interesting enough, though, when i was allowed (aka.: bullied into) doing the homework for and tutoring the jocks. During group work, however, they didn't care for me, because that meant, if they worked with me, they couldn't hang out with their favorite classmates.

Epicendergamer
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jun 2017, 11:14 am

I hate group work

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 8:58 pm

I personally don't like doing group projects that much myself either. Mostly because you don't get creative freedom of what you want done. And I don't want to deal with people while working on it. So I choose to work alone.
___________________________________________________________________________________

groupwork. one person does nothing and the rest work. or one person does everything and the rest do nothing.

someone with a huge ego has to have his/her way all the time. he/she acts morally superior.

group work makes me wanna puke.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 10:30 am

I never liked group work, either. First of all, I usually just ended up as an extra in to whatever group had room. Then the people in those groups didn't take the assigments seriously, or at least not as seriously as I would've wanted. I wasn't someone who got good grades or was good at sports, so I made following the rules and putting an effort in my work my strong points which resulted in (some) teachers to actually taking me seriously. But how do you put effort in a group work of five when no one else does? There were times that I tried to do way more than I was supposed to and then they'd get mad despite not bothering to do anything themselves.

Then, when I started to study business I faced an entirely new problem: the students in the same group as me were often way above me when it came to skill in those subjects, so I often ended up being in the way, having to ask help all the time or just sitting there while they did most of the work because despite trying my hardest I just couldn't get to their level. I'm not saying I'm blaming them about anything, but it was frustrating for me.

rick sanchez
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2017, 10:43 am

It is a tough skill to learn, but you will have to learn how to do this.

I have to work in groups all the time and part of the trick is to pick the team well.

Sometimes it is simply picking where you work or what you do.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 2:30 pm

rick sanchez wrote:
It is a tough skill to learn, but you will have to learn how to do this.

I have to work in groups all the time and part of the trick is to pick the team well.

Sometimes it is simply picking where you work or what you do.

In some jobs and classes, you do not get to pick the team

Even when employees and students pick the teams, sometimes I get picked last

And sometimes everyone is a stranger

In school, whenever there was group work, I either did everything or nothing

It was too obsessive compulsive disorder and anal retentive and control freaky to attempt to divide work into equal portions