Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

samtron5
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 May 2017, 9:48 am

Nope. I learned at 30, employers snapped me up half way through the last year of my degree and been working software development for 9 months now.

If it's what you want to do go for it. Never too late and you're only 26.

RAADS-R: 141
AQ Test: 34
EQ: 20

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 10:35 am

It's never too late to learn anything. Learning only requires dedication and effort, it's not about how 'smart' you are or how quick you can think, it's about hitting the books, focusing and absorbing that information. "Programming" is a large concept, you need to figure out what fields you want to enter to choose the appropriate language. If you're interested in developing games, javascript is a poor language to learn, likewise if you want to work on web apps C++ is terrible language to learn. Each language has it's own niches based on the performance and compatibility of the language. Also, I forgot robotics, probably the hottest field out there right now, but you'll need a firm grasp of physics as well as programming to excel at that.

Truth be told most 4 year institutions don't teach programming, they teach data theory (how efficiency is created, how to avoid poorly designed structures, etc.) and while data theory is important it's not near as important as actually being able to write good clean logical code in your language of choice. My recommendation is find a language that's used in a sub field of programming you're interested in and find online tutorials. Books are ok, but in the modern era books become outdated rapidly, whereas an online tutorial site will have a high probability of being up to date. Also, look for tutorials that have you build something, not just random functions and objects with no real purpose-- that's the easiest way to kill your enthusiasm. You want a result from your learning effort, some program to show that you can then alter or build upon after the tutorial is over, which can also be the first piece of a portfolio.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 2:18 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
It's never too late to learn anything. Learning only requires dedication and effort, it's not about how 'smart' you are or how quick you can think, it's about hitting the books, focusing and absorbing that information. "Programming" is a large concept, you need to figure out what fields you want to enter to choose the appropriate language. If you're interested in developing games, javascript is a poor language to learn, likewise if you want to work on web apps C++ is terrible language to learn. Each language has it's own niches based on the performance and compatibility of the language. Also, I forgot robotics, probably the hottest field out there right now, but you'll need a firm grasp of physics as well as programming to excel at that.

Truth be told most 4 year institutions don't teach programming, they teach data theory (how efficiency is created, how to avoid poorly designed structures, etc.) and while data theory is important it's not near as important as actually being able to write good clean logical code in your language of choice. My recommendation is find a language that's used in a sub field of programming you're interested in and find online tutorials. Books are ok, but in the modern era books become outdated rapidly, whereas an online tutorial site will have a high probability of being up to date. Also, look for tutorials that have you build something, not just random functions and objects with no real purpose-- that's the easiest way to kill your enthusiasm. You want a result from your learning effort, some program to show that you can then alter or build upon after the tutorial is over, which can also be the first piece of a portfolio.

Excellent advice.

icechai
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2017, 8:43 am

I'm 28, and just started learning to code a couple of months ago! There are great online classes now, such as Coursera, Udemy, and Codecademy, among others. Learntocodewith.me is also a helpful site by a successful woman self-taught programmer. As long as you start, and don't stop (for too long), you will surely get there!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 3:56 pm

What tech jobs would absolutely require the data theory courses?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 5:00 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
What tech jobs would absolutely require the data theory courses?

It's not like you can't learn data theory online too. The two institutions I went to though, I noticed that was the majority of the computer sciences classes were data theory type classes. Neither one had actual programming classes, they kind of expect you to learn the languages on your own I believe. Job title wise though, I'd say DBA (database administrator), and SE (systems engineer). The DBA oversees the formatting and maintenance of a database. The database needs to efficiently store data, so there's one location. Systems Engineers generally design the what I would call the 'backbone' of an application and set style guidelines, everything the programmers and developers (in today's world those two are basically the same thing) need to do their job so you'll need a good idea of efficiency and performance at that job. Someone who currently works in the field would have a better idea though, I haven't been in the business since pretty much right out of college ~2005.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 5:59 am

But for most IT jobs, just learning a few more skills would suffice? (as opposed to getting another degree in CS)

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 4:20 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
But for most IT jobs, just learning a few more skills would suffice? (as opposed to getting another degree in CS)

I would think so. That said the IT job market has changed drastically in the decade since I was in it, the financial collapse hit IT just like everyone else, so that increased competition may mean companies require more official documentation of your skills than before (i.e. more degrees/certificates).

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 9:49 am

Thank you so much for all the encouragement, it really cheered me up. I still haven't decided if this is the right choice for me but at least i know that there are people like me out there, learning in their late 20s or older.