Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 8:15 am

Hi, i'm a 26 yo law graduate. I'm working right now but only on paper. My boss and pretty much everyone ignores me, and they're right anyway. I got this job through a connection and don't understand anything about the complicated cases and contracts. I can't prepare legal documents. I can't even do the simplest task about being a lawyer. I probably have a learning disorder or two.Tbh i always knew i was unqualified but i hated being jobless so i accepted the offer when it came. Also i only studied law because my grades were good in school and it pays well.i have no interest in it whatsoever.oh btw the person who hired me is in a different country now and his partner ignores me/thinks im a ret*d w/e. So i cant quit without even seeing him in person. He's coming next week so i'll probably talk to him and quit. Anyway my question is do you think its too late to start learning programming at this age? I'm going to get fired soon and i'm p sure im not suited for this job. I was thinking about entering a two years programming school but im worried that its too late for me to learn. Thanks in advance for responses!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 12:15 pm

It's never too late. I was 35 when I learned Java, 36 when I taught myself Oracle.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2017, 12:23 pm

If you're only 26 years old, you have a lot of years ahead of you. You can learn programming, but keep in mind that you are going to compete with developers who have college degrees in IT.
It doesn't sound like you job interests you at all, but perhaps you could find some other legal job. You're very young, and you did graduate. Doesn't law interest you at all? Then why did you finish your degree in the first place?

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 6:34 pm

I'm almost the same age as you and I'm starting to Learn the C programming language from a book.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 5:54 am

Thank you so much for your replies(and for thinking i'm young lol) you're right the job doesn't interest me at all i only finished school because my parents insisted i did and i didn't know what to study. Aspies are said to be good at programming naturally so it was the first thing that came to my mind as an alternative job. And i don't know what other legal jobs are in my country..

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 5:10 pm

I am mostly studying it because:

Not many jobs in my field (GIS, I have a BS in geography), and what is available is contract.
I need something that pays $100,000/year so I can live in the neighborhood I want to live in.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 6:54 pm

I'm 40 and feel confident in being able to learn programming. I took some college courses and got As in both Javascript and C#. Not quite as well in SQL just because databasing is boring and poorly explained IMO. I'm also self taught in some Python.

The tricky part I've found is from how broad a field programming is, finding out specific areas of interest, and then finding out the languages that pair up with those areas of interest. Also, I think many programming tutorials are awful and it's a challenge to find good resources to learn from.

My education is on hold from stupid life reasons and working as a truck driver which takes up all my time, but at least I'm out of my parents' basement now. I can relate to your situation though from pressure to go to college and going into a dumb industry I didn't fit into.

Coder Rebirth
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Apr 2017, 7:43 pm

2 years to learn?

Normally in real life , just 6 month is enough to learn and build portfolio and get a job. http://www.codeconquest.com/programmer-6-months/

But in my case, I spend only 5 month.
I graduate from economics bachelor degree. and don't like a job in this field.

so in age 24, I learn in 5 month in Web programming for these language: (HTML, CSS, Javascript jquery, PHP, MySQL), and building ugly website but get a job in small firm ((it is not require super beautiful portfolio to get job in small firm) then I training in that small firm to build beautiful website to get job in big firm.

P.S. (but if you want to build beautiful portfolio and get job in big firm (not want to get job in small firm) , I guess it spend more than 6 month to learn and build portfolio and get job in big firm, (..... May be 10 month. )

P.S. 2 : In my case, I choose the easiest web server-side langauge to learn (PHP )
if you choose difficult language like java C++ I am not sure How much time to learn and get a job.

P.S. 3 : about your learning disorder, I think if it is not IT field, you cannot find the answer of legal problem on internet, but in programming world there are a lot of anwser and tutorial. if you don't know just search google and they will have many answer for you. Why I know? because I have experience work for financial bank before and accountant assistant, and cannot search for answer about economics, or accounting's legal that make me frustrate so much.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 1:26 pm

Thank you again for your replies,it really gives me courage. I thought about going to college because i didn't think people would hire someone without a degree in programming. But i guess a lot of people are self- taught so maybe it doesn't matter much.

Seriouscirrus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 May 2017, 8:28 am

Python is a very good and easy language to learn, and also in demand on the internet, as everything can be programmed with it. You can also control and arduino with python and play with a raspberry pi (guess what I use python for). There are great tutorials for it like "Learn python the hard way" and other great tutorials.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 8:58 pm

AprilR wrote:
Hi, i'm a 26 yo law graduate. I'm working right now but only on paper. My boss and pretty much everyone ignores me, and they're right anyway. I got this job through a connection and don't understand anything about the complicated cases and contracts. I can't prepare legal documents. I can't even do the simplest task about being a lawyer. I probably have a learning disorder or two.Tbh i always knew i was unqualified but i hated being jobless so i accepted the offer when it came. Also i only studied law because my grades were good in school and it pays well.i have no interest in it whatsoever.oh btw the person who hired me is in a different country now and his partner ignores me/thinks im a ret*d w/e. So i cant quit without even seeing him in person. He's coming next week so i'll probably talk to him and quit. Anyway my question is do you think its too late to start learning programming at this age? I'm going to get fired soon and i'm p sure im not suited for this job. I was thinking about entering a two years programming school but im worried that its too late for me to learn. Thanks in advance for responses!

No, it's never too late to learn programming. In fact you can start learning programming right now on your own because there are so many free resources available. You just have to decide what language you want to learn first.

The traditional standard is C++ but that's changing now and many schools are switching to Java (not Java script...there's a difference). If you want to make apps, then that's usually done with a platform specific language. Apple has their own language, Android has it's own language. But the principals behind most programming languages are the same or similar so it's not difficult to switch between on many occasions.

Seriouscirrus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 May 2017, 4:14 pm

I chose python because of this guide http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 8:35 am

OMG NOOO! It's NEVER too late.

PLEASE: Just do yourself a favour and go on Youtube and see how many people are learning programming in their 60s and later!

Decide which programming language you want to start with, then enter the keywords into Youtube's search engine, e.g. 'Java for beginners'.

You can find the best lecturers from the top universities, like Stanford, the Mecca of Programming. The info is concise and really easy to understand. Off you go.

Please don't bother paying to do a course for 2 years. omg :roll:

good luck :D

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 5:06 pm

Alita wrote:
OMG NOOO! It's NEVER too late.

PLEASE: Just do yourself a favour and go on Youtube and see how many people are learning programming in their 60s and later!

Decide which programming language you want to start with, then enter the keywords into Youtube's search engine, e.g. 'Java for beginners'.

You can find the best lecturers from the top universities, like Stanford, the Mecca of Programming. The info is concise and really easy to understand. Off you go.

Please don't bother paying to do a course for 2 years. omg :roll:

good luck :D

If you know certain software, and overall knowledge of computer science (seen online lectures about algorithms, computational structured, software engineering), will HR managers be willing to hire you, even if you don't have formal certificationd or if your degree isn't in computer science?

Seriouscirrus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 May 2017, 3:08 am

You can get an online degree in computer science

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 12:52 am

The problem is many people have degrees but only the one who can sell themselves will get the job. A degree is no guarantee of a job.