Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 7:09 pm

I know there have been some narcolepsy threads over the years, but I thought I'd start a new one rather than revive an old one.

I'm particularly interested in REM episodes that occur during the day while awake. REM (rapid eye movement) is a phase of normal sleep and ordinarily occurs a few times during the night while people are sleeping. I experience REM episodes several times a day while awake. (If I close my eyes, they are REM-ing, if that's a word.) If I'm in a place where I can sit back in a chair I will often enter a semi-dream state in just a few seconds. Sometimes if it's possible I will just take a nap, which lasts for the pretty regular 15-20 minutes of the episode. If that isn't possible I just have to keep working until the episode passes after 15-20 minutes. I don't have cataplexy, but these episodes can be very uncomfortable if I have to try to keep concentrating on something.

Any other people with REM-while-awake?

(If anyone is looking for a positive angle, I'm wondering if it might have an association with creativity -- being closer to dreaming while awake.)

There Are Four Lights!

AshtenS
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Apr 2017, 10:41 pm

I'm not exactly sure if I have narcolepsy or not but I have frequently found myself having sleep attacks in the middle of the day at various times. It usually happens when I didn't sleep well the night prior but not necessarily. I can take a nap or even nod off and go into a dreamlike state almost instantaneously even if only for a minute or two. I usually wake up if I start to nod though.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 11:06 am

It happens a lot as I doze off. Upon wakening or before sleep I'll be paralyzed and see scary things like a doll in my closet that turns to look at me then spins it's head around. Often times I'll get sleep paralysis before I fall asleep and after awakening. I can't move and I see orbs floating above me and dark cloaked figures or demon standing around my bed staring at me.

I don't enter deep sleep, and have micro sleeps during the day where I perform a lot if automatic behaviors. I drive fine, but miss streets because I'm on auto pilot.