Page 7 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 5:30 pm

Hey Skafather, My friend who died of cancer, had skin cancer, no he did not smoke. He also did not use dirty needles. He was not an addict. Yes he was gay, but he was also a mortician,and once upon a time they didn't have the safety features they have in place now. Remember when aides first came out alot of mortuaries would not accept people who died from aides, they were afraide they'd get contaminated. My mom who worked with this guy use to tell him to be more cautious, she would say. "Bob I swear if you aren't more careful you are going to catch hipatitous," (I spelled that wrong) now whether he caught aides from his gay lovers or from his work, I don't know. Unlike you, I wasn't quick to rush to conclusions.And I still have not been told the names of the athiest charities.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 6:57 pm

Paula wrote:
Hey Skafather, My friend who died of cancer, had skin cancer, no he did not smoke. He also did not use dirty needles. He was not an addict. Yes he was gay, but he was also a mortician,and once upon a time they didn't have the safety features they have in place now. Remember when aides first came out alot of mortuaries would not accept people who died from aides, they were afraide they'd get contaminated. My mom who worked with this guy use to tell him to be more cautious, she would say. "Bob I swear if you aren't more careful you are going to catch hipatitous," (I spelled that wrong) now whether he caught aides from his gay lovers or from his work, I don't know. Unlike you, I wasn't quick to rush to conclusions.And I still have not been told the names of the athiest charities.

food not bombs.

edit: so the aids is, invariably, his own fault. and more likely from a gay lover that he didn't have safe sex with (wrap it up and keep safe!)...unless he happened to be draining blood from an aids victim and had an open wound and the blood got to where that open wound was. aids is transmitted through bodily fluids so it's not a mystery where it comes from...unless he had really lax practices when dealing with the bodily fluids.

and christians do that for him? i thought it was hospital nurses.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 11:56 pm

We can point our fingers at others, as I see you do. Or put our differences aside and help, which I've yet to see an atheist do. Food not Bombs????? You keep saying that, so WHERE ARE THE ATHIEST CHARITIES THAT DO THIS? And with the places I've volunteered at, we never gave out bombs, but we gave out food and compassion. And buy the way, I really didn't need your aides lessons, my friend caught it before it was well known. And regardless, he needed kindness, not finger pointing, which Christians are accused of doing, and yet you seem to be so good at it. And I'll add, it was his non-Christian leberal friends who walked out on him. I know, I was there.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 11:59 pm

I'll add also, he wanted to stay at home as long as he could, he was in and out of the hospital, yeah he had nurses that would come in at home, but not all day. They taught his mom, who in turned taught the volunteers that would come in what to do. In the end he died in a hospital.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 11:59 pm

why does purple show up as a colour and not a flavour of cheese?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 2:01 am

Paula wrote:
We can point our fingers at others, as I see you do. Or put our differences aside and help, which I've yet to see an atheist do. Food not Bombs????? You keep saying that, so WHERE ARE THE ATHIEST CHARITIES THAT DO THIS? And with the places I've volunteered at, we never gave out bombs, but we gave out food and compassion. And buy the way, I really didn't need your aides lessons, my friend caught it before it was well known. And regardless, he needed kindness, not finger pointing, which Christians are accused of doing, and yet you seem to be so good at it. And I'll add, it was his non-Christian leberal friends who walked out on him. I know, I was there.

food not bombs is an atheist charity that gives food to those who need it.

to answer your question more thoroughly about atheist charities i'll divert here* mainly because i never really invested in whether a charity was secular or not. (*gasp* an atheist giving money to a charity regardless of the charity's religious association...how liberal and insane) only reason why i know food not bombs is specifically secular is because they're more predominant in the punk scene and they're a bunch of anarchists who do good works for people. i don't agree with anarchist political ideals but i respect the charity for the good works they do.

* http://www.positiveatheism.org/mail/eml9553.htm and http://www.iidb.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=109405

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 12:45 pm

Sopho wrote:
I'm not starting this to annoy everyone or anything.
I just want to know, because I really can't understand it.
And apparently I need to put more effort into accepting other people's points of view.

Orwell's 1984 Ignorance Is Power. It is all down to reality control. As human being we have come to a false conclusion that intelligent rational thinking is a survival trait. The thing about reality control is that it is more flexible then the truth. Humans don't want to know the truth, or they would have discovered truth a long time ago. Only Aspies really want to know the truth.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 2:30 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
Only Aspies really want to know the truth.

while that seems to be mostly true....it obviously isn't a whole truth. :P

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 2:59 am

skafather84 wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:
Only Aspies really want to know the truth.

while that seems to be mostly true....it obviously isn't a whole truth. :P

Could be right, but often the truth for them equals: The truth that equals their material gain, equals what is needed to save the piace, or the truth that keeps the devil from the door.

Once in the office I said that "Jewish people are collactively more smarter then the rest of us" and my superviser said where did I get that information from. She is the sweetest and most nobal person you could meet. However it was not the truth that she wanted to hear partly because it is not that politically correct.

kt-64
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 6:28 am

Maybe people are religious because their intestinal tracks flipped the opposite way?

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 8:02 pm

Because the world could not have just come from nothing... even the Big Bang theory does not have all the answers.... the law of conservation of mass states that mass cannot be created or destroyed, and the law of conservation of energy states that energy can not be created or destroyed..... so are you saying the singularity before the big bang just came out of nothing? furthermore, people desire meaning to life's answers, and a sense of what is moral and what isn't... also, people are terrified of death, and want to know that they will live on.... NDEs and the law of conservation of energy also prove that there is an afterlife.... therefore, God IS scientific

SippingSpiderVenom
Raven
Raven

08 Nov 2015, 9:14 pm

I'm an agnostic Buddhist.

I paired conservation of mass and energy with reincarnation and stated "the experience remains to be seen".

About the same time I encountered transcendental meditation I also came across lucid dreaming, I think it's likely so many religious stories are simply day dreams or nightmares, or simply fantastical stories. There isn't much that can't be explained with lucid dreams.

I think if there is a god, it is more likely a super consciousness, as if to say the universe is sentient, rather than some human like psychic entity.

Mostly I don't think the grand scheme of things really matters. It's always the day to day that really messes things up or builds things up.

Yeah, the big bang theory doesn't solve everything, well a God pretty much solves everything, except everything that's been disproved.

I don't like being told that I have to believe in God or I will go to hell, nor do I appreciate being told I must be an atheist or I'm a moron. They are both just guesses to placate people that don't want to believe they don't "know".

"If I knew that it was fated for me to be sick, I would even wish for it; for the foot also, if it had intelligence, would volunteer to get muddy." - Chrysippus

MidnightMoon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 5:54 pm

Why are atheists atheist?

Why yes, I am a conservative.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 6:39 pm

MidnightMoon wrote:
Why are atheists atheist?

Because I see no benefits to being religious.

GoSensGo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Dec 2017, 9:03 am

If you think people are less intelligent for being religious, you're the dope.

Religion goes past intelligence, logic and reason. In most cases it's ingrained in them young and it's something they feel. They have faith. There are a lot of brilliant and successful people who are religious. When I see smug atheists looking down on the religious like they're more enlightened because they don't believe in any god, I have to shake my head. It's embarrassing.

And I'm agnostic, I don't have a horse in the religion race.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 2:52 am

Dopamine level.