Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 2:56 pm

I am embarrassed with the fact that I have AS and it is one of the things I like to hide from myself am I the only one who feels that is there anyone else like it

Please let me know

Is it something to be embarrassed about I look at it as something in the way that occasionally gets me into trouble

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 2:57 pm

I feel like that about some things, but not AS.
Aspergers isn't something you should feel embarrassed about; it's just who you are.

Yoshie777
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 2:58 pm

In reality, AS is really nothing to be embarrassed about. It may limit your people skills and give you quirks, but it can also give you the gift of focus. You would also be surprised how many famous people in history may have had AS.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 4:12 pm

i get embarassed in the sense... that now i know about As... i catch myself doing things... and i wonder how many dorky things i've been doing in front of people for the other 24 yrs i didn't know about AS

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

21 May 2007, 4:15 pm

You don't need to tell anyone you have it. I don't feel comfortable talking about it either myself and telling anyone I have it or I'm on the spectrum.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 4:17 pm

I think I've told like 2 people
I'm very ashamed too

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 4:18 pm

I get embarrased by it sometimes too, because its like I wanna be normal, and actually mature for once.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 4:20 pm

I don't think I'm embaresed by it. I do get self conscience when I make a mistake socially, but I then remind myself that that is part of AS then I feel a tonn better :lol: I just try to be happy about who and what I am :D Asperger's dosn't have to be a bad reality.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 4:32 pm

I dont tel many people.
I let people judge me by the way i am.
Only a few people that ive known for a long time wil find this out.
This usually works for me.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 4:37 pm

When I was diagnosed I immediately told all my friends.... many of which have some Aspie traits but not nearly enough to be considered Aspies.

To me Asperger's Syndrome has never been something to be embarrassed about, its simply an explenation of why I'm so odd. And I like being odd, Way too many neruotypical people in our world.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 4:43 pm

After reading this post, my feelings have changed a little.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 5:06 pm

Sedaka wrote:
i get embarassed in the sense... that now i know about As... i catch myself doing things... and i wonder how many dorky things i've been doing in front of people for the other 24 yrs i didn't know about AS

What Sedaka said. Except for me it's 27 years.

Looking back, I can see a LOT of things I did that were very embarrassing and were probably because of my AS.

For example, there was an incident when I was 16 and I got my first job at a movie theater. On my first day a guy came up to me and asked if I would like to clean the popcorn maker. I said no. He kind of laughed nervously and left. A girl I worked with whispered to me that he was my supervisor. I hadn't been told about a supervisor by the manager who hired me- I hadn't been given any kind of introduction to anyone- and I wasn't even sure whether to believe her because people loved to take advantage of my gullibility and I never knew whether anything anyone told me was the truth, so I defaulted to thinking everything was a lie. I realized much later that he probably was my supervisor and he had actually been telling me to clean the popcorn maker, not asking if I wanted to.

And that's an obvious incident! What about the myriad more subtle ones? No wonder I have trouble making friends and fitting in!!

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 9:09 pm

I don't want to tell anyone about it, or about the medications I take.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 7:27 am

The_Cucumber wrote:
To me Asperger's Syndrome has never been something to be embarrassed about, its simply an explenation of why I'm so odd. And I like being odd, Way too many neruotypical people in our world.

I agree.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 7:38 am

*SHRUG*

The “perfect” human has much to be embarrassed about when viewed from certain perspectives; we all look the same when viewed from far enough away.

nb411
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 8:05 am

If anything I feel less embarassed than ever since finding out. I used to beat myself up more over silly things I did, but now I am free to accept myself completely. I am a bit of a perfectionist so I have always had high expectations of myself. I feel good about my AS and I enjoy explaining it to people willing to listen. If not I just keep it to myself and don't worry too much.