Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 8:30 pm

Empathy wrote:
Alex wrote:
The site has a valid ssl certificate.

And.., as I said, i was having these problems that others had shared and also, a certain someone said that you
couldn't adjust the SSL with the TCP or IPs for foreign servers. (Like in the U.K).

Aristophanes wrote:
There's too many issues out there, we were bound to agree on something at some point, as distasteful as that may seem.

I just hope for mine and everyones sakes out there, that cloudfare issues have been aborted for good so that no more site encryption can take place on any browser or displaced ruminage of the site.
I guess my qsts have interfered too much with the sites official stamped ownership now, by biting off more than is deemed necessary for an average user like me. Clearly an interest that affects U.k users is deemed out of bounds, but I have an old Ideapad, and it's more than equipped to beat off the old controversies and former ways of this sites processes and protocols.

And also, Cloudfare is just a bargaining chip for other shared site users out there, to access CPU caches that steals encryption.
I'm sure as a computer systems web programmer, you've done and tidied all your research already, but some more input can't be ruled out, not when all these problems are still coming up on other threads, like the not logging in straight away, resubmitting forms,check your browser again, even on InPrivate browsing it is against, so you must have used some double layered spam filtering for that, and maybe the spell checker was taken away because it used other means of invisible encryption.
http://searchcloudsecurity.techtarget.c ... d-security
Anyway..Carry on at your convenience :)

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Jul 2017, 12:34 am

^^^^
Nothing you've written in that post makes any sense.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 7:58 am

A suggestion for you, Alex:

I believe many objections and complaints related to SSL could be resolved by just a few lines of code at the server to send all incoming traffic to https://wrongplanet.net/. Some browsers might still complain because they do not like the way the certificate is signed, but everyone would still be using an encrypted connection. I do not know your server's platform, so here are two links related to forcing SSL:

force ssl htaccess

force ssl IIS

Many thanks for all your fine efforts on behalf of all of us!

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 11:58 am

What others don't always understand, is that some people know a bit of the jargon, when its going too far in its model to improve something.

Security

On the shared server, your website can share an IP address with another website that has been marked as malware. In such cases some network security programs can “null route” requests to these IPs and it will make your website unreachable. Also some anti-virus software may mark all websites with the same IP as malware, which will cause false alerts against your website and such kind of alerts can be displayed in most of modern browsers (for example, 'This site may harm your computer' or 'The website ahead contains malware'). So having a dedicated IP can be a good way out. If you would like to order a dedicated IP, check the guidance How to order a dedicated IP?

SSL

SSL Certificates encrypt  traffic to your site. Usually it's required by e-commerce website and websites, which store personal information.

With the cPanel version 11.38 and higher, we started to support SNI technology that allows to install multiple SSL certificates on a Shared IP address. So, a dedicated IP is not a must for installing SSL Certificate. However, having a few SSL certificates on a shared IP address may cause issues with older versions of some rare  and/or old browsers. In this case, all the visitors of such websites will receive a message containing information about untrusted connection, indeed the website is going to be available via HTTPS protocol. Dedicated IP address helps to avoid such issues. Here is a list of browsers supporting SNI:

Desktop Browsers:
Internet Explorer 7 and later on Windows Vista and later
Internet Explorer (any version) on Windows XP does not support SNI
Mozilla Firefox 2.0 and later · Opera 8.0 (2005) and later (TLS 1.1 protocol must be enabled)

Google Chrome:
Supported on Windows Vista and later
Supported on Windows XP on Chrome 6 and later
Supported on OS X 10.5.7 on Chrome v5.0.342.1 and later

Safari 2.1 and later:
Supported on OS X 10.5.6 and later
Supported on Windows Vista and later

Mobile Browsers:

Mobile Safari for iOS 4 and later
Android default browser on Honeycomb (v3.x) and later
Windows Phone 7

This doesn’t affect SEO directly, but is should be mentioned as well.

Every user has their own individual IP address, which is what allows them to access the site without any interruptions from corrupt encrypted files from other shared web hosts.
Google issues a penalty for sites that have been hit with malware too.
Perhaps sharing the IP with a whole host of SSL severs was a bad move for the SEO. People aren't doing encrypted searches, mobiles search browsers are blocking SEOS. (seach engine optimization).
Having looked up Website owned by cloudafare, I can see that this site domain is still being listed, so I guess people will see no end to it because it picks up on common ritual errors like a human cleansing stress organizer.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 2:10 pm

Empathy wrote:
On the shared server, your website can share an IP address...

I am fairly certain that is not the case here at WP...

WrongPlanet...runs on a beefy dedicated server... doesn't share a server with any other websites.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 5:24 am

alex wrote:
^^^^

http://www.accessify.com/w/origin.wrongplanet.net This origin link tells all. It quotes no SSL and a shared IP.

Do you also know its non-biased to be biased? Everyone here has roughly quoted the same thing, but you've only quoted me and nobody else. I take offence to that.
It hardly creates a good impression assuming that everyone here knows next to nothing, on matters which you should be fully aware of.
As indirect and non-biased as it may seem, you are creating rules for this site that nobody wants to deal with, or feel ridiculed and stressed by.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 7:14 am

leejosepho wrote:
A suggestion for you, Alex:

I believe many objections and complaints related to SSL could be resolved by just a few lines of code at the server to send all incoming traffic to https://wrongplanet.net/. Some browsers might still complain because they do not like the way the certificate is signed, but everyone would still be using an encrypted connection. I do not know your server's platform, so here are two links related to forcing SSL:

force ssl htaccess

force ssl IIS

Many thanks for all your fine efforts on behalf of all of us!

Seconded. :wink:

And Empathy, he's right. Nothing you're saying makes any sense.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 7:54 am

Empathy wrote:
alex wrote:
^^^^

http://www.accessify.com/w/origin.wrongplanet.net This origin link tells all. It quotes no SSL and a shared IP.

Accessify is wrong on both counts. It sees no SSL because SSL is not being forced, and the seeming "shared IP" is related to a second sub-domain of wrongplanet.net and not with any other domain.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 2:30 pm

leejosepho wrote:
..and the seeming "shared IP" is related to a second sub-domain of wrongplanet.net and not with any other domain.

What sub party domain host would that be other than Cloudfare, which it is still being listed in? Hence all the problems with what users have been having. This is why Alex would rather bypass the questions related to this topic.

Third party links are able to gain access and input from the site. Try addressing some logic and sense to the site interference problems.. unless you want to host a one sided debate, which I'd rather not take any part in.

There are sub encrypted users probably making a small commission from this site and, are using us as a webpet project.

alex
Developer
Developer

05 Jul 2017, 2:50 pm

Empathy wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
..and the seeming "shared IP" is related to a second sub-domain of wrongplanet.net and not with any other domain.

What sub party domain host would that be other than Cloudfare, which it is still being listed in? Hence all the problems with what users have been having. This is why Alex would rather bypass the questions related to this topic.

Third party links are able to gain access and input from the site. Try addressing some logic and sense to the site interference problems.. unless you want to host a one sided debate, which I'd rather not take any part in.

There are sub encrypted users probably making a small commission from this site and, are using us as a webpet project.

Nothing you're saying makes any sense.

Aaron Rhodes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2017, 3:14 pm

Empathy wrote:
That's maybe because you'd rather not listen to the females of W.P.

What exactly are you basing that on? All he has said so far is that you aren't making any sense. Have you read back through what you've written? Perhaps you should work on making your point more clear, otherwise the only answer you'll get is that you aren't making any sense.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 5:56 pm

alex wrote:
Empathy wrote:

Nothing you're saying makes any sense.

Well the facts speak volumes, two were quotes one was a link. I don't know what your role here actually is, but you're acting it out pretty well. Then again, these days acting it's in you nature, maybe the embedded script here just needs to run its course before someones mobile browser gets hit or crashes again. I've had several error messages already.(because forced malware from the shared I.P has hacked its way into the site). People here have moaned consistently about Inidan spammers, and also the leaks from alot of researchers hoping for a tip off from the site. How much participation from all different angles including your precious Twitter site for neurotypicals is there going to be? I mean, like what do you need? We're not your impoverished community, just so you can take all the glory and desert us when you want. I'm not going to turn on third party browsing,or anything else, you'd have to totally be off your rocker to do that.

You've had suggestions from other people too, but seeing as you're bias to these kinds of debates, it only leaves us to sort it out. I think you're behaving rather like An American In Paris, clearly your love for us ran out when you decided to leave and come back after you established your (acting) career. So, whats the seal of one SSL certificate to you, something that the other party can't afford from its established links and connections ?

Fine to protect your information but you defintely should update it from time to time, and, let people know that you're sharing an I.P because certain SSLs expired years ago.

This isn't the first time a debate like this has arisen from an OP and I doubt it will be the last.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 6:32 pm

Empathy wrote:
Well the facts speak volumes, two were quotes one was a link.

But they weren't relevant. lee has already explained the problem and how to address it, as well as why you are experience what you experience with the SSL cert on the site.

Empathy wrote:
I don't know what your role here actually is, but you're acting it out pretty well.

He's the founder and unwilling tech support of the entire site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Plank

He could be doing better, but if you think he's doing a good job who am I to question that. Each to their own!

Empathy wrote:
Then again, these days acting it's in you nature, maybe the embedded script here just needs to run its course before someones mobile browser gets hit or crashes again. I've had several error messages already.(because forced malware from the shared I.P has hacked its way into the site).

I share your pain, but I doubt we will see a fix any time soon. Also, none of the ads (as intrusive as they are) classify as malware. Just be sure to close browser, clean cache, alter cookie settings. Rinse and repeat if you have to or give in to defeat and just browse the forum at you leisure on a desktop platform.

Empathy wrote:
People here have moaned consistently about Inidan spammers, and also the leaks from alot of researchers hoping for a tip off from the site. How much participation from all different angles including your precious Twitter site for neurotypicals is there going to be?

I have no idea what the last part even means but do have to agree, at what point is "enough" enough?

Empathy wrote:
I mean, like what do you need? We're not your impoverished community

He's the founder and still runs the place, so I think you'll find we technically are his community to manage.

Empathy wrote:
just so you can take all the glory and desert us when you want. I'm not going to turn on third party browsing,or anything else, you'd have to totally be off your rocker to do that.

alex's motives or reasons for the current state of WP forums remain unclear but only a fool would refuse a solution that currently works instead of eternally waiting for one that works their way. There are workarounds for dealing with the intrusive ads. They are a pain, but they work.

Empathy wrote:
You've had suggestions from other people too, but seeing as you're bias to these kinds of debates, it only leaves us to sort it out. I think you're behaving rather like An American In Paris, clearly your love for us ran out when you decided to leave and come back after you established your (acting) career.

Theatrics aside (see what I did there? ;) ) I can't help but agree with what you're alluding to, though I don't think pointing it out will gain Alex's support.

Empathy wrote:
So, whats the seal of one SSL certificate to you, something that the other party can't afford from its established links and connections ?

Really not sure how you drew that conclusion, seeing as Alex himself clearly stated in a post which you have seen, that there is a valid SSL cert for this site. lee has pointed out all you have to do is type an "s" after the "http" part of the URL to confirm that.

Empathy wrote:
This isn't the first time a debate like this has arisen from an OP and I doubt it will be the last.

On many levels, amusing and despairing, I again have to agree with you.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 7:03 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:

And Empathy. Nothing you're saying makes any sense.

He could be doing better, but if you think he's doing a good job who am I to question that. Each to their own!

He's the founder and still runs the place, so I think you'll find we technically are his community to manage.

Theatrics aside (see what I did there? ;) ) I can't help but agree with what you're alluding to, though I don't think pointing it out will gain Alex's support.

He's welcome to manage things, as long as its not bipassing the feelings, suggestions and opinions of others who use this place as a visiting community, not as a third party website.

If you want to state things yourself, why don't you? instead of looking like you want to manage people, which I sincerely don't think he's trying to do out of spite. He's clearly granted mercy on our first point suggestions, you've just jumped onto this topic because I'm here making important views known, and clearly you think that it affects you again directly.

The points I've raised and made are my own and shared by others who have stated pretty much the same thing, but it happens to go over in my mind thats all. So, if you don't like it, I'm sure that Alex who's been monitoring every word we've been saying and speaking in volumes about will not be adverse to bringing in somebody and showing us both up, if it quotes one of his opinionated rules.
But don't show me up by bullying my quotations into your showmans fantasy views on everything. You've got no scope on the topic or viewpoints I've raised. It could seem he doesn't either, because he has to retain site integrity.

I don't get into arguments, I get into real discussions. If Alex,would rather not answer anything else thats been said by me, or first page users, I'll let the topic slide, because this has literally gone into something of a different nature.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 7:43 pm

This thread was about a site certificate and your worry about a lack of one or it being valid.
That's been cleared up. You have a lot of concerns many of the users share including myself. You deliberately chose not to quote the parts where I agree with you then go on to say you don't get into arguments. This is one.

I'm not worried about being showed up here. If someone states some facts or contributes something which moves the agenda forward I can handle taking a sick burn or two and I'll stand corrected. But this isn't moving things forward. This dialogue you wish to have with Alex can be done in one of the other 2 threads near the top of this sub forum. At this point we're just going off topic in a thread you created which other users with more in depth knowledge of the site than us and - undeniably - more technical prowess and foresight, have already resolved. What we are doing is arguing and it is not constructive. Let's move on from this.

Lastly, while I don't agree with a majority your comments and as much as I doubt your expertise on the SSL here, I do agree he has been avoiding the issues.. Posting isn't the same as addressing issues. Hopefully (trying to remain optimistic here) activity will begin to correlate with results.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 12:04 am

Empathy wrote:
leejosepho wrote:

What sub party domain host would that be...

What is a sub-party domain host? In any case, the two WP sub-domains doing the so-called "sharing" are listed right there on the Accessify page.