Here's something that we may have to look forwards to

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 1:55 pm

Social Justice, and the caring state at work, Autistic guy loses essentially everything worth anything in his life when state caregivers step in and help. --From the lovely progressive State of Maine.

How The State Failed William Dean.

Last edited by Fogman on 30 Apr 2017, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 3:57 pm

That is screwed up can't believe they killed his cat.

That said don't see how it has to do with social justice or progressiveness though...that's like the opposite of those things. Social justice would be protecting people with conditions like aspergers/autism from having something like this done to them. Also, the idea that people with mental conditions/disabilities are entirely incompetent in all ways and should have no say in what happens to them isn't a progressive idea. A progressive idea is supporting community members with mental conditions in living the most normal non institutional life they can so that they can function to the best of their ability and be more content.

Perhaps it was more the caring state of capitalism, probably more profitable to strip him of everything and sell his house and prized piano as well as euthanize his cat than than to provide him with help at home and do everything possible to help him keep his home.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 4:36 pm

If the state has the power to give you everything you want, it has the power to take everything you have.

Or as someone said, "the most frightening words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you.'"

There Are Four Lights!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 5:19 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
...don't see how it has to do with social justice or progressiveness though...that's like the opposite of those things. Social justice would be protecting people...

I think he was being sarcastic----just like when he said: "when state caregivers step in and help".

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 5:55 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
...don't see how it has to do with social justice or progressiveness though...that's like the opposite of those things. Social justice would be protecting people...

I think he was being sarcastic----just like when he said: "when state caregivers step in and help".

I was being sarcstic. And to Sweetleaf, what should be, and what actually is are two differant things, and in many cases like the one illustrated above two entirely differant things that are diametrically opposed to one another.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 6:28 pm

Darmok wrote:
If the state has the power to give you everything you want, it has the power to take everything you have.

Or as someone said, "the most frightening words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you.'"

Oh, God----unfortunately, both of these statements are absolutely CORRECT!!

This article makes me feel like I've been run-over by a Mac truck, cuz even though I haven't been-through even a FRACTION of what this guy went-through (I also feel it's quite possible that he might've lived longer, if it wasn't for this mess), I know, all-too-well, how UNcaring, INsensitive, and down-right SLIMY the government / government workers, can be.

(The worst was when I was penalized, many years ago, by SSI, for being homeless, cuz they said they were giving me money for shelter, and since I wasn't spending it on shelter, they automatically deducted that from my future SSI payments. By then, of course, I HAD shelter, and really needed that money to meet my rent; so, there I was, at a new residence, and one-month-later, already behind on my rent----and, there's no way to make-it-up, cuz every dollar goes to current living expenses----so, I ended-up homeless, AGAIN!!)

What happened to this guy was absolutely heart-wrenching----and, I would bet, almost anything, that there are many, MANY more stories like his----and, they killed his cat----and, in the comment section, somebody was telling about how the suicide rate has gone-up amongst the elderly, in Maine, who have been told they have to go into state care, cuz they would rather DIE, than have their hard-earned money / property go to the state, and not their children. Also, I agree with the person in the comment section who said we should be protesting DHHS (the article said that, basically, one can't sue the government, which is what I've always heard, as well; but, I've also read that it's been done - but, it takes a whole lotta money, for the YEARS of lawyers / fees).

This all makes me very, VERY concerned for those of us who have a diagnosis, and have ever been on any type of public assistance----cuz, you can't un-ring a bell (meaning, you can't say "No, I don't have a disorder" [or, mental health problem, or whatever]), and the paper trail is MILES long.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 10:25 am

Based on my own experiences, I would hazard that, yes, something like this is what we all have to look forward to.

What can you do to protect yourself??

Not much. If they want you, they're going to get you.

Dot your i's and cross your t's-- they like to use technicalities. It makes them feel justified and humane. Keep your bills up to date, taxes paid, your space clean, your self clean, your clothes clean. It helps to make sure they are in good repair, and matched, and that you're not doing things like wearing PJ bottoms or sweatpants outside your residence. It's fine until something goes wrong-- and then it's a reason to do something like assume you're a drug addict and deny you medical care, or assume you're incompetent and have you declared such.

Don't own anything they might want to take. Like property. Or, if you insist, find yourself a steward, a shepherd-- a neurotypical you trust to have your back to co-own any property with you and to step up and speak for you when the state might try to discount your voice.

Start thinking like a smart European Jew in the mid-1930s. These nice government people, they are not your friends. That's a false smile full of pity they are showing you (note I didn't say compassion). Cover your ass.

And if you don't have a diagnosis-- for f**k's sake, don't get one. DO NOT GET ONE. Find a way to get by without SSDI. It isn't going to help you fix or understand anything. It isn't going to help you live, any more than a string of sh***y short-lived minimum-wage jobs (which will at least preserve your personhood and autonomy).

First they're going to strip away any resources they legally can. Then they're going to turn you into a captive consumer-- of products, of medications, of care. A captive voter, who HAS to vote for the people that are going to keep the care coming. And when that's not valuable any more??

The crematoriums are already built. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aktion_T4

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 10:44 am

Darmok wrote:

Yes, but we surround them. The non-elected and non-military U.S. government workers numbered just 2.79 million as of December 2011. The population at that time was 313 million. So, less than one percent of the nation controls the other 99 percent. While it is smart to comply (so as to avoid technical violations and subsequent incarcerations), it is also empowering to realize that, absent the use of the military against its own people, stopping a governmental program against certain segments of the U.S. population would be extremely easy at 99-to-1 odds. In some quarters, this is described as a "turkey shoot." The phrase "We the People" isn't just a descriptive desire, it is a fact.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 6:29 pm

An update on this case.

What I find particularly telling about it is that the Maine Dept. of Healthy Human Sacrifices is denying responsibility for mismanaging the case, because if they did, they would be open to liability. --In other words, this is not an isolated incident, but state policy.

Simon01
Raven
Raven

03 May 2017, 11:19 pm

Scary as hell.

I don't have firsthand knowledge of anything like this, but I know I've witnessed shady things over the years going on with social workers, home health agencies, and unfortunately some disability advocates.