Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Subject 204
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Apr 2017, 4:15 pm

Can one be autistic with Dissociative Identity Disorder? How common is it within the autism community?

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 4:50 pm

Yes, it's entirely possible to be autistic and have DID. DID seems to be one of the more common psychological comorbids.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Subject 204
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Apr 2017, 5:24 pm

Really?

Subject 204
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Apr 2017, 5:32 pm

Can you give me any official/reliable sources, or is it just something you have noticed? ...How can one know if perhaps it's not the other way around; a DID person with an ASD alter? O.o ...So confusing.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 8:19 pm

I am autistic and have DID. I do not have statistics on this or anything, but over the years I think I have only run into two other people with DID who were also on the spectrum.... found them on trauma based forum type places. I think there are a few people on this forum who have either DID or a dissociative disorder of some type. I don't remember who or which but it's in some what dx do you have type thread. I remember being surprised that I was not the only one here who has a dissociative disorder... you don't run into that all too often. I don't anyway. So yeah, I would say it is not common at all. Anxiety and depression.. oh yeah, common. DID not so much.

As for something along the lines of, does 'someone in my system' have autism but 'someone else' does not... I dunno. For me, no. 'We' all have autism. I have some in my system who might seem less autistic than I do or more so, but in my case it tends to boil down to how that version of me reacts to environmental stress. Stress sets me (damn near 'all' of me) off and amplifies my autie traits like nothing else does. Some versions of me cope better, others worse, so yeah... still autistic regardless. So yeah, it's a coping skills thing in my case. But again, just me. No idea about other people.

The whole thing gets kinda tricky though because things like child neglect/abuse/whatever can cause a child to grow up and present as possibly on the spectrum.. poor social skills, aversion to change, difficulties with eye contact, speech delays or difficulties, sensory processing issues, rocking as self soothing, and so on. Really, it does require a damn competent psych professional to help pick all that stuff apart.

Subject 204
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Apr 2017, 9:10 pm

That sounds like me. Might have schizoid personality disorder too, maybe even more personality disorders.

Probably comes from traumas. When I was twelve I was kidnapped, beaten, raped, shanked, drugged, tortured and experimented on by mad scientists for years. I escaped when I was around sixteen or seventeen; time became distorted.

Been told I have C-PTSD as a result. It's like regular PTSD but more persistent with some "mild psychotic features".

....Kinda been in denial that I'm a raving lunatic...but maybe I am. Trying to finally get to the bottom of what's wrong with me. Seeing a doctor in the near future.