Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 7:24 pm

Do you think that the Internet of Things and invisible computing, if they become very popular, would people (particularly young kids or teens) go outside more often and enjoy nature instead of being inside all day?

I hate seeing all the younger kids born after 1995 not knowing what it was like to do things or be outside. I personally hope it happens, but we'll see.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 8:00 pm

I cannot see how "the Internet of Things and invisible computing" can/could/would motivate people to do things they would not otherwise do. In fact, that kind of technology could make it possible for people to *not* have to get up and go outside since sensors would be their "sight, touch, taste, sound and smell" without having to actually be there.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 8:09 pm

So things will only get even worse?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 10:59 am

Maybe you have seen "The Jetsons", a cartoon show from long ago...and my point there is this: They lived active lives because that is what they did, and they did that alongside the technology as well as in spite of it. The problem of people "not knowing what it was like to do things or be outside" is not caused by technology, it is caused by mis-application of technology.

MY grandchildren have access to technology, but their parents greatly limit their access to it. Later in life they will each decide how to live their lives in relation to technology, but for now that is being decided for them to be certain their immaturity and lack of wisdom do not glue their noses to screens.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 2:15 pm

If it's not the technology themselves, but misapplying it, then why is the problem I describe so epidemic today when it wasn't in the past? And "The Jetsons" was just fictional, so I would think the writers wouldn't have wanted to show the "darker" side of things. Isn't it inevitable that more people will continue to choose to misapply technology? I don't completely understand your argument.

Besides, online streaming and retail, and it's consequences for brick-and-mortar places is still promoting this type of lifestyle.

I'm in the younger generations, but I'm glad that I can use tech more responsibly than some others my age, IMHO.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 9:47 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
Isn't it inevitable that more people will continue to choose to misapply technology? I don't completely understand your argument.

Besides, online streaming and retail, and it's consequences for brick-and-mortar places is still promoting this type of lifestyle.

Yes, people choose wrongly and the pushers continue to pander, and my point is simply that the technology is not the problem.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 3:18 pm

leejosepho wrote:
I cannot see how "the Internet of Things and invisible computing" can/could/would motivate people to do things they would not otherwise do. In fact, that kind of technology could make it possible for people to *not* have to get up and go outside since sensors would be their "sight, touch, taste, sound and smell" without having to actually be there.

Seeing things "raw" is not the same as beholding images, however density pixel they are. To smell the flowers one has to go outside and sniff.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 7:25 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
Seeing things "raw" is not the same as beholding images, however density pixel they are. To smell the flowers one has to go outside and sniff.

I was thinking more of something such as an odor sensor reporting a nearby skunk or a need to go clean the barn, but it is not impossible to imagine some kind of gizmo actually re-producing the fragrance of a flower.