Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 1:07 pm

I bought myself one of those bootleg fidget cubes and I really enjoy using it. However I'm really interested in buying a vibrating cushion as I find the sensation soothing when I feel anxious or tense. I've hugged massage pillows before and I can feel the anxiety basically melt away. Lately I've been having issues with controlling anxiety and if a stupid shaking cushion can make a dent at it it can't hurt.

Does anyone else use some kind of sensory object or fidget toy to help them with their symptoms? What have you tried and what do you recommend? I really like that there's now a huge market for this sort of thing, especially if it can make someone's life a bit easier.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 2:52 pm

I have quite a few.

The most important sensory things for me are my weighted blanket and noise cancelling headphones.

As for stim/sensory toys, my favourites are: tangle jr. , different chewable stim toys (specifically made for autistic people), kinetic sand (this is so amazing, my favourite is kinetic "beach sand" as it is much more tactile compared to the normal kinetic sand). I also have a vibrating snake (it was pretty cheap, i don't use it too much but it is very calming), putty and an array of different kids toys (such as bouncy balls, different squishy toys, slinky's etc.)

OH! One of the best ones is called a "Pop Toob"
A good place to start is looking in a toy store, if you aren't sure of what you want to get.

I also have a fidget spinner, but it isn't a tactile toy, which are the ones that benefit me the most.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 4:00 pm

l don't use any. Though not a toy, I use a safe item meant for chewing. It calms and gives me gentle stimulation.

HelloWorld314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 May 2017, 4:03 pm

Am I the only person who clicks into the topic thinking it is about sex toys?

And no I don't use sensory toys, though I do use sex toys that are sensory.

p.s. English is not my native language, please correct me if I have made any mistakes. I would really appreciate it. Thanks:)

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 4:09 pm

I wear a loom band around my left wrist, sometimes a second one around my right wrist.
Touching it and pulling it gives a calming sensation.
Also it is used therapeutically, to focus.
I have trouble focussing on everyday things, so it is to remind me on chores I have to do.
Or get out of an emotional state, in which got "locked".
I have different colors of them.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

zzzsmokeyzzz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 May 2017, 7:47 pm

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2017, 9:25 pm

I have one of those fidget spinner toys and my old favorite , a clean tennis ball to bounce or throw at walls. I try to catch it as it helps with eye/hand cordination(therapist recommended activity). I keep the spinner in my shirt or pants pocket so I have it if I feel stressed and need to stim and not make a scene. Mike

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 10:23 am

Different people take to different stuff. I like hugging pillows for the compression. But the fidget item I use the most is a clip on leather lanyard. I bend it, twist it, wrap it around my fingers and chew on it. I have a several, because I wear one out eventually.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 11:58 am

I use my hair. The length is uneven and it's thinning out because I mess with it so much. Trying to break the habit and use something else...

enbalmed

24 May 2017, 2:05 pm

I have a couple of spinners here - the feeling that they make in your arm when they precess is amazing. One with really good bearings that spins for ages is nice too.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 4:31 pm

I just remembered: occasionally, items on cords or a landyard- I'll make a pendulum while watching it.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 4:41 pm

Spinners are too boring for me.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 1:50 am

Personally my favorite sensory toys are Play Doh and a slimy substance called "Flarp". I love mushing soft things in my hands, it's very calming. I also own a fidget cube and it has been very helpful. My mom bought me a couple of fidget spinners but I don't care for them too much.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 10:31 am

I fiddle with toys like Lego and Transformers, but don't have much in the way of small, portable twiddly items. I wonder if I should give sensory toys a go- it might help replace my usual go-to comforting stimulus, which is eating myself into an early grave.

lgm23
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 May 2017, 9:32 pm

I have a fidget cube that I love and a weighted blanket that is also great. I am hoping to get one of those fidget spinners sometime soon!

Diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 11:43 am

I use one or two to give some tactile input for calming. Whole body pressure works well for me and I have knocked up some kit for the purpose, a leather cuff around a wrist or ankle is something I find helpful for sleep.

Two stuffed bears to hug when required work well.