Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sun.flower
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jun 2017, 7:35 pm

I read with a large book on my chest. I like the weight.

I keep a hand drum in the car to hit for when I get stuck in traffic and a ukelele.

Fidget spinners look fun, it's too bad they're so popular that the people who really need them in classrooms probably would get them taken away.

WildernessPhil
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jun 2017, 7:10 am

My wife bought me a fidget spinner to stop me from destroying the remote control.
I was constantly spinning it around in my hands whilst watching tv, which apparently is likely to break it and is extremely annoying.
So far it seems to work for me.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 3:29 pm

Leahcar wrote:
I don't need sensory toys anymore, but when I did, I used to love those cheap, rubbery stretchy men.

The university where I work gives those things out to students! I may have pinched a couple.

Since finding this thread, I've taken to carrying a tiny Transformer in the pocket of my bag. Which means, when I get panicky at work, I can retreat to my cleaning cupboard and switch it from truck to robot and back a couple of times. Seems to help- I've felt slightly less existential dread and got substantially more done. Not sure how I'd explain it if someone opened the door, though.

JaredGTALover
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jun 2017, 4:12 pm

HelloWorld314 wrote:
Am I the only person who clicks into the topic thinking it is about sex toys?

And no I don't use sensory toys, though I do use sex toys that are sensory.

i first heard it when i was 11 or 12.at the time i had a stuffed curious george,and i rubbed him up & down my penis (i don't know if i felt any arousal at the time) & based on how easily,rock-hard horny-feely i can be,i plan to do the same thing with a giant stuffed bear,and i look forward to it :D :) :) :heart: :heart: :heart:

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 4:41 pm

I don't know whether it sounds cheesy, but ceramics, basketry (nod to Napoleon XIV), and woodworking have therapeutic value, imo. Besides being tactile, it requires you to take your mind off of social stresses. There is counting, and patterns, and hearing protection (relative quiet with white noise.) People will generally know to leave you alone, at a critical moment. What got me started on this --
https://feltmagnet.com/misc/hikaru-dorodango

I felt it was interesting, that something ornate could be made from something free and usually-ignored.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 4:42 pm

What's with all the pervy people, and do you live nearby?

PossiblyBisexualCanadian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2017, 12:16 am

I love to use stim toys. I have a fidget spinner but only use it in private because people are VERY judgemental if I ever use it in public, which SUCKS! I also have a fidget cube, which is my favourite because I love the satisfying clicking noises that it makes. I also have a horrible habit of pulling threads from my clothing and tying knots into it until the string is too short to tie anymore, I am trying to kick this habit because it has costs me many of my favourite clothes :oops:

NeurodivergentRebel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2017, 11:59 am

I have a ThinkInk Pen, Fidget Cube (knock-off), Crazy Aaron's putty, and a few others. Looking forward to the Fidgi-pen. The spinners are not for me.

Neurodivergent Rebel
http://www.neurodivergentrebel.com

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 1:20 pm

When at home, I always need a pillow or something similar on my lap. If i don't have anything on there, i feel exposed. When outside i rely on the good old hand-flapping or the knit rice-filled ball my wife made me. It is just like a hacky sack, but i am using it only for stimming.

Zachwashere
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2018, 9:19 am

I guess it's not ment as a sensory toy but I love the Rubiks cube(the one where the squares are different colored plastic instead of having different color stickers). The plastic feels good and it appeals to my tendency to hyper-focus.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2018, 6:06 pm

I've never had anything that's meant to be a stim toy - there are so many everyday objects that work perfectly for me. Never, ever, lend me a fancy pen - unless I'm writing with it, I will repeatedly unscrew all of the parts and put them back together again over and over - until the spring that makes the clicky bit work goes "boing", never to be seen again. :lol:

Anything that separates into pieces, I just cannot resist taking to bits. Other favourites are taking the batteries in and out of things, clicking cigarette lighters, the doodads on swiss army knives, elastic bands, peeling the bark off sticks... I also keep little swatches of fabric from old clothes that have certain textures that I like - I keep them in my coat pockets for a bit of "stealth stimming" when I'm out in public.

Oh, I nearly forgot my all time favourite, the cheapest of all; my beard. :bounce:

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2018, 8:13 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
I've never had anything that's meant to be a stim toy - there are so many everyday objects that work perfectly for me. Never, ever, lend me a fancy pen - unless I'm writing with it, I will repeatedly unscrew all of the parts and put them back together again over and over - until the spring that makes the clicky bit work goes "boing", never to be seen again. :lol:

Oh wow, this is SO me! I also always take pens apart, and other things too, but especially pens.

I don't have a dedicated stim toy, although once (years before my diagnosis) I did manage to make a total mess when I broke open a stress ball with sand inside it.
:D

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 8:02 pm

I love my sensory toys. I have tangles, fidget spinners, stuffed animals of varying textures and softnesses, squishy tows, playdough, putty, erasers, coloring books, sensory apps on my phone, glass beads, I love those water bead things. I love sensory toys. They really help calm me.

Wreck It Ralph

Anthracite_Impreza

21 Apr 2018, 8:19 pm

I do not, they weren't a thing when I was growing up, but I've always been a fiddler of whatever was to hand. My little cousin has one of them chew bracelets though.

Christinemeah
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2019, 12:34 am

Our sensory toys are ideally suited to children with special needs, providing hours of creative, educational fun.

FromPluto

23 Jul 2019, 1:43 pm

I find the best thing to relax me is simple. Sitting in a dark quiet room. Nothing is better. If I'm in an anxiety provoking setting... I fidget and stim naturally with whatever is at hand. Introducing these things intentionally does nothing for me. But in stressful situations it happens naturally and keeps me in balance. I don't seek and I don't prevent. My little son's toys are attractive to me.