Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 11:43 am

I use one or two to give some tactile input for calming. Whole body pressure works well for me and I have knocked up some kit for the purpose, a leather cuff around a wrist or ankle is something I find helpful for sleep.

Two stuffed bears to hug when required work well.

AnodyneInsect
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 May 2017, 9:14 pm

I've carried some smooth rocks with me, have an articulated R2-D2 necklace that is good for super nervous situations, and got a cube and spinners on ebay. I mostly like smooth textures and like to put certain tumbled stones in my mouth.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 12:28 am

Where I grew up, it was a religious thing for a child to carry a dried fava bean in their pocket. Luckily for me that meant I always had something socially acceptable to pass the time playing with.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 9:18 pm

I have two fidget spinners. I find the aspect of the weight as they spin most interesting.

I also tend to fidget with my necklaces.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2017, 4:43 am

I don't need sensory toys anymore, but when I did, I used to love those cheap, rubbery stretchy men.
Not only did they help me stop stimming in class, I also found the sensation of stretching the rubber soothing for some reason. Probably because I was a child full of anger and fear, and taking it out on the smiley helped me to calm down and prevented myself from harming myself or others when I got wound up.
They weren't very durable, though, as they were only meant to be party bag fillers or cheap pocket money toys - I ended up snapping the heads off many of them!

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2017, 2:05 am

I don't know of any. I was trying to think of my high senses as they can sometimes be a problem. The main concern is it makes me more susceptible to pain. Headaches are the worst. I don't like to take medicine and the herbs I've tried don't really help. Ice packs do not help much. Music is a good distraction but it would be nice to have something else. Does such a toy exist that would make headaches seem less intense?
Another issue I have which is not autism related but can be difficult to deal with is my need to nap when faced with a crowd of people for a long period of time. This would be okay except if I ever get a job (hell would assuredly freeze over) I can't nap in the middle of the day I'm sure. I also don't like napping in the middle of the day because it makes me more susceptible to headaches. When I'm tired enough all I can do is sleep. I can't really play music or a game. It's even worse if I'm actually physically tired. Low social battery and little sleep=certainty that I will crash and then of course I am wired in bed. I use energy essential oil and that helps but only for a moment. I can't drink caffeine because it either makes me more tired or anxious.

I am supposed to be getting my own fidget sooner today and I've had a taste of it so that's something but I don't know if it will last me in the long term because it's a bit simplistic. I would think it would at least help with the possible PTSD symptom I have in the big stores. I do need something to fool with I think sometimes because I'm tearing my phone case more apart as a tiny bit of it was ripped already due to normal wear and tear. I have the Newton's cradle which I've had for a while but I can't play with it too much because one time I made it super tangled.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 1:13 pm

I want to buy a fidget cube and maybe a fidget spinner. I think they might help me. One thing I love though is petting and cuddling with a stuffed animal or squeezing a homemade stress ball. The stress balls are really easy to make too. I just use flour and a balloon.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 5:41 am

I came across this recently and am very tempted. Looks soooo good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Playfoam-Sensor ... 2350735449 :)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 3:13 pm

A spinner ring worn on the thumb is adult, discreet and so addictive.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 3:40 pm

I sometimes use a fidget spinner at home.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 7:55 pm

I have a whole box full of fidget toys. My favourites are anything squishy and pliable like putty. I also really like watching the liquid toys with the oil and water in them that drips, it's very relaxing to watch. I have a weighted blanket that I keep in a drawer at my office that I use on bad sensory days too, and it works beautifully. For anyone who hasn't tried them who likes a lot of deep pressure, I would highly recommend a weighted blanket. I have one at home too, and it's really helpful to just lie under when I'm in sensory overload or after a meltdown, it's the only thing that can make me feel better.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Miss_Skitty

08 Jun 2017, 11:34 am

I bought myself a fidget spinner to see what all the fuss was about and I actually really enjoy using it :oops: I also have a fidget cube but he's not as fun to use as the spinner, and I'd really like to try out the chewy toys. Idk why but I don't like fidget spinners unless they have an even number of prongs - I have one with 6 and one with 2 and the basic plasticy three-pronged spinners don't really work for me :P I also love toy dinosaurs and usually take one out with me in my bag :D

Kythe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jun 2017, 3:14 pm

I recently tried out both a fidget cube and a spinner in a store and I just really didn't like how they felt in my hands so I didn't end up buying them. I do have specific things that I do use though for fidgeting/stimming. I have these electric shock toys shaped like a pen and a lighter. I prefer an ongoing electric current rather than a sudden shock, so I'll usually just press the button down and hold it. If I do it on certain areas of my body, I can feel the electrical current radiating out. Like doing a certain spot on my wrist can make my whole hand tingle. I have found this to be helpful to counteract being overstimulated by bad things and with anxiety in general, but I don't use it very much because it's either not close enough at hand, or I just can't remember that coping mechanism in that state.

For more general fidgeting I've used fabric covered gel stress balls, koosh balls(which are unfortunately hard to find these days) and a variety of rocks and crystals that I'll use like worry stones. I have a couple of large blue quartz marbles that I use like Chinese meditation balls. I also really love playing with magnetic hematite. I have a couple of large oblong magnetic hematite stones that I'll play with. I also have a ton of magnetic hematite beads back from when I used to dabble in jewellery making. Recently I took all of my unused magnetic hematite beads and just put them in a large pile together that I worked around in my hands like silly putty without the mess or smell and it was so addicting and difficult to put down. Often times I forget to have anything specific on me and just find myself fidgeting with whatever is handy.

Oh I also just got some really soft fuzzy socks that I can't even wear this time of year, but they are just so soft that I love to pet them or rub them against my cheek/arms. I need a blanket that soft. I never wear sweaters because I often find them to be too scratchy and uncomfortable, but made from that material I probably would.

A part of me would really like to try chew toys because even though I gave up chewing gum several years ago, I still can't seem to stop chewing on my tongue from withdrawal. My main concerns with the chew toys apart from the taste would be how to keep them clean. I've seen some that you wear around your neck, but then they'd get shirt lint on them. I mean I'm sure people who use them have figured something out(a plastic case perhaps), or they just don't care as much as I do, but I'm not sure it's something I could be bothered with in the long run.

I also really want to get a weighted blanket. I love those lead blankets they put on you at the dentist before you get x-rays. Unfortunately I tend to get overheated rather easily. Like I'll use two blankets for as much of the year as I can and it doesn't feel like enough weight, but if I add a third blanket I'm likely to wake up covered in sweat. I really hate the hot months where I can only have one blanket and sometimes not even covering me completely. I was told that having a weighted blanket would probably cause issues for me in that area.

Last edited by Kythe on 10 Jun 2017, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 3:25 pm

i've not had many commercial fidget toys but the resourcefulness of a fidgety aspie has no bounds.
i have grown very attached to cheese wax over the years.

my ADHD ex has a fidget spinner and enjoys it quite a bit. i read something on here, someone saying that the fidget spinner doesn't do it for them since the bearings do all the fidgety work for them. they would not say that if they saw how he plays with it!

i've tried it out but even though bearings are one of my favorite things, i found it too big to manage. if i had a smaller one i think i'd get some good use out of it.

cheese wax will always be far superior anyways.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 3:37 pm

C2V wrote:
I came across this recently and am very tempted. Looks soooo good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Playfoam-Sensor ... 2350735449 :)

omg i remember that stuff! it is nice.
i'm also fascinated by the mommy blogger slime trend. i love rubbery/poly-type pliable materials.

sun.flower

10 Jun 2017, 7:35 pm

I read with a large book on my chest. I like the weight.

I keep a hand drum in the car to hit for when I get stuck in traffic and a ukelele.

Fidget spinners look fun, it's too bad they're so popular that the people who really need them in classrooms probably would get them taken away.