Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 5:43 pm

How do you know if you have heartburn? I had a little bit of pain in my chest last night, I'm ok now.

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2017, 9:27 pm

I get chest pain when I have extreme anxiety/panic attacks. I don't know what heartburn feels like but I know stress can cause it.

magnum233
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2017, 9:42 pm

Heartburn is from acid reflux

https://www.southerncross.co.nz/group/medical-library/heartburn-acid-reflux-causes-treatment-prevention

Generally anything that settles your stomach should help. Sometimes drinking milk can help as can drinking a little baking soda in water.

http://www.healthline.com/health/gerd/baking-soda#acid-reflux1

http://everydayroots.com/heartburn-remedies Lots of good suggestions there as well.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 8:23 pm

If taking something to settle your stomach doesn't work, then you should have someone take you to the hospital to see if you might be having a heart attack. They can get things under control, and give you the help you need if that is what is wrong, and if it turns out to just be heartburn after all, they can give you a stronger stomach aid to cure it.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 9:00 pm

Cad wrote:
I get chest pain when I have extreme anxiety/panic attacks. I don't know what heartburn feels like but I know stress can cause it.

My own experience would suggest that is a symptom of a heart being deprived of oxygen rather than any mere heartburn from some kind of gastrointestinal trouble. I have had a heart attack caused by arterial blockage, and I have also experienced chest pain (angina) brought on by stress, lack of decent rest and by anxiety. A simple cardiac stress test (either physical on a treadmill or chemically induced at the lab) would let you know whether any level of actual blockage might be present, and I would guess a cardiologist would be willing to prescribe some small nitro pills -- typically only one is needed and never two at a time -- to relax the arteries and stop the angina during your extreme anxiety/panic attacks if you would be able to accomplish placing and holding one under your tongue until it dissolves. Nitro can also cause a slight headache while relieving the angina, but it is not a bad one and never lasted very long for me.