Autism Fears Are Fueling Minnesota's Measles Outbreak

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 12:50 am

NPR

Quote:
Health officials in Minnesota have been scrambling to contain a measles outbreak that has sickened primarily Somali-American children in the state. So far health officials have identified 34 cases, still mostly in Hennepin County, and they're worried there will be more.

In Minnesota, the vast majority of kids under two get vaccinated against measles. But state health officials say most Somali-American 2-year-olds have not had the vaccine — about six out of ten. As the outbreak spreads, that statistic worries health officials, including Michael Osterholm, who directs the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ants
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 May 2017, 1:37 am

Not to plough into an anti-vaccination discussion but if I were a parent whom believed the jab caused autism I would spend a little thought along these lines 'measles kills children autism doesn't'. Well actually I would go looking for the non existent evidence and discover that it doesn't exist and then get my child vaccinated.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 2:12 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
NPR

Quote:
Health officials in Minnesota have been scrambling to contain a measles outbreak that has sickened primarily Somali-American children in the state. So far health officials have identified 34 cases, still mostly in Hennepin County, and they're worried there will be more.

In Minnesota, the vast majority of kids under two get vaccinated against measles. But state health officials say most Somali-American 2-year-olds have not had the vaccine — about six out of ten. As the outbreak spreads, that statistic worries health officials, including Michael Osterholm, who directs the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy.

It's the same here. Children in the Somalian community are disproportionately affected by adhd and autism, se a link I posted before> viewtopic.php?t=334151&hilit=+somalian This post didn't receive any answers, presumably because it mentions two uncomfortable topics, religious practice and skin colour. Considering that Sweden is one of the most anti-racist countries in the world, I doubt the statistics in the study are incorrect. I also think that everyone deserves access to information that could improve their health.

The researchers believe that the high prevalence of autism and adhd is caused by lack of vitamin D during pregnancy. If that's the case, mothers with dark skin who have little sun exposure would be more likely to give birth to autistic and adhd children, which they seem to do.

I talked to a children's nurse who said a lot of Somalians don't vaccinate their children because they believe it causes autism.

On a purely anecdotal note, I think Somalian culture is one of the most extroverted cultures on the planet, which also means that Somalians might find autism particularly scary. Most of the adult Somalis I know are extremely outgoing, friendly, flexible and likely to lie through their teeth. I've also met quite a few Somalian children with adhd or autism. I know trauma can be interpreted as adhd, but the only thing that really looks like autism in children is Complex-ptsd, and that's quite unusual.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 4:42 am

Why Minnesota lost a battle against anti-vaccine campaigners A public health official explains how a local Somali community got hit with a measles outbreak.

Quote:
What makes this outbreak so astounding is that it is nearly a decade in the making. In 2008, anti-vaccine advocates — including the Organic Consumers Association and Andrew Wakefield, a British doctor who falsified data suggesting vaccines are linked to autism — began targeting local Somali Americans who had concerns about autism among their children. The activists saw an opening, offering an explanation of a cause when the health department couldn’t provide one.

Vaccination rates have since plummeted in the community, making its members more susceptible to preventable diseases — such as measles. As of Wednesday, there were 50 confirmed measles cases in Minnesota, most of them occurring among unvaccinated Somali-American children in Minneapolis.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman