Anyone here hate it when someone praises them?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

05 May 2017, 7:00 pm

I hate it when people praise me.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 7:07 pm

It makes me uncomfortable. That might be because I don't like how much I enjoy it. My upbringing has taught me not to accept praise wholeheartedly because the religion I was raised in, and society itself, taught me that there was something intrinsically wrong with me from birth.

I'm working on that.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 7:09 pm

I'm okay with it, just as long as it's not laid on too thick.

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 7:50 pm

I think it's awesome. :mrgreen:

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 9:16 pm

there are an unlimited number of wrong methods to praise someone. and not many proper methods of praise.

a positive judgment is just as judgmental as a negative one.

especially "praise" about my appearance, intelligence, or something personal. if it's praise about something specific I allegedly did, like a homework assignment, that is one thing.

but idiots have had the nerve to tell me "you're the smartest person I know. when you say something, I have to think about it for five minutes." that makes it sound like she knew a lot of precious little "people", she administered WAIS IQ tests, declared me the winner. and the way to calibrate IQ score was to find out how long it takes for her to think about something I said.

a self-important homophobic moron had the nerve to tell me "you're the strongest girl I know." likewise. besides, I did not identify as female.

seriously. last time I checked, I was not a football game and those chatterbox dimwits were not sports announcers.

in particular, I hate the running commentaries. like in aikido. someone, that was not even the instructor kept saying "nice, nice". it was like, he was distracting. he acted like his opinion was so important. they all did.

a counselor told me that I was "brave" for "getting all wet" on the way to counseling. (it was raining.) but, that was ok, because she was a volunteer with 170 hours training. and it was Saturday. and et cetera. but from an on duty professional, that kind of statement is a bit too much.

sometimes, they tell me something they think is good. but that thing could have disadvantages that they never bothered to consider.

and part of it is that those precious little "people" will not just shut their traps.

the kind that gives lavish praise and lays it on thick. is the kind of precious little "people" that are quick with the criticism. if you do or say the slightest thing they do not like they label it as "rude" or "disrespectful". "disrespectful" is like a trump card.

seriously, those :roll: serial praisers :roll: do not deserve to be called people.

and when they offer praise it makes it sound like they are so important their opinion matters. then it makes it sound like they can do something better than you anyways.

SlackinSteven
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 May 2017, 9:19 pm

My main interest is slacklining(like tightrope walking but on 1" wide dynamic webbing) when random tourist( I live in Yosemite) stops and complements me I wouldn't say necessarily I hate it but it does make me very uncomfortable and sometimes very annoyed. If it's a friend complimenting me then I'll probably be just a little uncomfortable. I think some of this may have to do with how little I like being noticed by other people.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 4:03 am

Aside from making me uncomfortable, the skeptic in me questions its authenticity. I tend to find praise rather patronising.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 4:18 am

I hate being praised, it makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I hate not being praised for something that I feel that I have done well.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 8:25 am

If I'm praised for something that seems to me like small potatoes, I don't like it. If I'm praised for something that I've worked really hard on, I enjoy the moment of glory.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 9:09 am

That is the way it is with me, too, CockneyRebel. I have had people say they wished they could do certain things like I could, but it makes me feel uneasy, because all of the good things seem to be going away.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 12:32 pm

JakeASD wrote:
Aside from making me uncomfortable, the skeptic in me questions its authenticity. I tend to find praise rather patronising.

CockneyRebel wrote:
If I'm praised for something that seems to me like small potatoes, I don't like it. If I'm praised for something that I've worked really hard on, I enjoy the moment of glory.

I think what these two said, fits me----and, I wouldn't say I hate praise, but.....

It depends-on who says it, and whether or not I perceive it as their having a hidden "agenda", or whatever----like, if I think they're just trying to butter-me-up, for whatever reason (meaning, I question its authenticity, like JakeASD said; and, when CR said "small potatoes"), then I don't like it.

OTOH, I (like CR) LIKE when someone praises me, if I feel satisfied that I've put my ALL into something----but, also, when I know I haven't really given it my all, and someone praises me, then I feel guilty (uncomfortable), because I feel I don't really deserve "all that".

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 5:44 pm

Yes, because I feel they aren't being genuine or are trying to set me up for some type of sabotage in the future. When ever I was praised as a child, the person, usually always had to point out at least something that was "wrong" somehow. Even when I NEVER asked them for advice in the first place. Or I knew they weren't being genuine but trying to be "nice" because I KNEW what I had made looked like total crap and it looked like total crap, but then they go on to tell me about how they could never sew.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 12:45 am

I like it very much because it rarely ever happens.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 1:38 am

I don't mind being praised most of the time. The only time that I do mind it is if it's related to my musical endeavors and people talk to me as if I was God or something.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2017, 2:42 am

It rarely happens but when it does it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 3:07 am

I never enjoyed compliments or praises. Nor craved for it. I don't feel any kind of fulfillment from it. Whether I worked hard or not, I don't feel it.

I still have no idea how to appreciate it... It feels awkward and annoying whether someone means it or not.
It's confusing sometimes, that I have no idea how to deal with it and eventually just ignore it.
Sometimes, when people ARE being proud of me, or tries to tell me that I should be proud and I deserve all the praises -- it makes me sad. I don't know why... :|

And I had been avoiding any sort of special attention, but it didn't worked out somehow. :x

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.