Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Kreid0126
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 May 2017, 10:01 pm

Hello,

I am having trouble losing weight. I have been doing Weight Watchers for the last couple of years now and I lost about 60 pounds, but for some reason I am gaining some of it back. I still exercise when I can and I eat healthy which is hard for me because I live with a family full of picky eaters. But it is hard to focus right now and I need some motivation. Can anyone tell me what I should do to get back on track?

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 6:49 am

First off, kudos on the weight you've lost so far! Losing 60 pounds is no walk in the park.

Moving on from here: I wouldn't know how to motivate you, but I can tell what I would do, and what I believe is the most effective way forward, based on my experience with fitness and nutrition.

In my opinion, the easiest way to get and stay lean, is to start building some muscle. this will increase your BMR(Resting Metabolic Rate) and the sessions themselves will of course increase your energy expenditure. For a beginner, I believe that 3 sessions a week(45min - 1h) is enough to yield great results. Compound movements like benchpress, squats and deadlifts are by far the most effective for both fat loss and building muscle.

As far as nutrition goes, I am a firm believer in a flexible dieting approach. This involves tracking protein and overall caloric intake, but otherwise having the freedom to eat the foods you want. For good heatlh I recommend getting adequate fiber aswell, but for body composition, calorie and protein intake are 98% of the equation.
For weight loss, you need to be in a caloric deficit, here I recommend a moderate deficit(300-500)

Here's a really good calculator to estimate your protein and calorie targets:
https://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

You don't need to pay to much attention to the carb/fat ratio, it's doesn't make too much of a difference, though higher carb is arguably better for building muscle than higher fat.

Good luck.

mattdj1985
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 May 2017, 5:58 pm

Set smaller exercise goals that are more attainable for you. I started with just 20-30 minutes of cardio 4 times a week and then worked my way up to 90 minutes every day in the gym. Obviously you may not want to spend as much time in the gym as me. But most doctors recommend 30 minutes of exercise a day to maintain a healthy life.

As far as dieting goes look at the amount of sugar you are consuming as well. Sugar is arguably more important than looking at calories because overloading your liver with sugar will actually cause it to be stored as fat. Now if there is enough fiber to balance the sugar it's not so bad because fiber slows down the absorption of sugar. So it's ok to eat an apple, but avoid apple juice like the plague. I also recommend watching the documentary 'Fed Up' on NetFlix too as it is the most informative thing I've watched on nutrition.

I lost 50 lbs in 2016 and I haven't gained any of it back because I've stuck to my routine. Best of luck to you.

"Plant your hope with good seeds,
Don't cover yourself with thistle and weeds"

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 9:41 pm

mattdj1985 wrote:
Set smaller exercise goals that are more attainable for you. I started with just 20-30 minutes of cardio 4 times a week and then worked my way up to 90 minutes every day in the gym. Obviously you may not want to spend as much time in the gym as me. But most doctors recommend 30 minutes of exercise a day to maintain a healthy life.

As far as dieting goes look at the amount of sugar you are consuming as well. Sugar is arguably more important than looking at calories because overloading your liver with sugar will actually cause it to be stored as fat. Now if there is enough fiber to balance the sugar it's not so bad because fiber slows down the absorption of sugar. So it's ok to eat an apple, but avoid apple juice like the plague. I also recommend watching the documentary 'Fed Up' on NetFlix too as it is the most informative thing I've watched on nutrition.

I lost 50 lbs in 2016 and I haven't gained any of it back because I've stuck to my routine. Best of luck to you.

Sorry, but my BS detector went off. Saying sugar is more important than calories is just absolute nonsense. It is true that sugar is processed in the liver, and it might get stored as fat temporarily, but the only thing that makes you gain weight, is a caloric surplus. If you're are eating below maintenance, that fat will get burnt off eventually.

Fed up is a great documentary in regards to childhood obesity, but that sugar hypothesis is so stupid it is insulting.

mattdj1985
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 May 2017, 7:20 am

Closet Genious wrote:
mattdj1985 wrote:

Sorry, but my BS detector went off. Saying sugar is more important than calories is just absolute nonsense. It is true that sugar is processed in the liver, and it might get stored as fat temporarily, but the only thing that makes you gain weight, is a caloric surplus. If you're are eating below maintenance, that fat will get burnt off eventually.

Fed up is a great documentary in regards to childhood obesity, but that sugar hypothesis is so stupid it is insulting.

Hey man there's no need to be so judgy. I'm just giving an opinion based on what has worked for me and what I discovered. Feel free to provide your own sources to your argument if you disagree though. Of course calories matter, but sugar content matters too.

"Plant your hope with good seeds,
Don't cover yourself with thistle and weeds"

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 10:36 am

mattdj1985 wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
mattdj1985 wrote:

Hey man there's no need to be so judgy. I'm just giving an opinion based on what has worked for me and what I discovered. Feel free to provide your own sources to your argument if you disagree though. Of course calories matter, but sugar content matters too.

The current studies availabe, shows that sugar doesn't matter at all. I take a strong stance against heavily restrictive diets, they are more likely to lead to eating disorders and binge eating than a flexible approach. And yes, there are studies to prove that aswell.

The reason why low sugar/low carb diets tend to work, is because people tend to eat more protein and fiber on those diets, but it's not cutting sugar out that makes the difference. It's the high protein+fiber that is beneficial for weight loss, sugar is a non issue.

It wasn't my intention to seem like an as*hole, I just think it's bad advice.

KelseyHinton
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Aug 2017, 4:33 am

I will also share some of the fitness tips that you can adopt to loose weight. This will also help to maintain an appropriate weight. Fall in love with exercise that changes your mood and your life, not just your body. You can also check about the élastique sportif to get a healthy body. Give up soda and juices with lots of sugar. Eat foods that are closest to their natural state as possible. Also, you can take thé detox tea for a healthy body.