Exhausted and wish I never went back to college...

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

PhoenixRain
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2017, 11:22 pm

I think I overloaded myself. I've tried so hard to get my Bachelor's Degree, but I always drop out when I get stressed and can't handle it. I've gone to college and dropped out several times. I'm scheduled to graduate in December, but sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. I already have a decent job that I like, and I'm tired of spending my weekends doing homework. I guess I just needed to rant. I just feel so exhausted by the time I work 40 hours a week and then do my homework, that I feel I can't take care of myself or my health at the end of the week, so I just sleep a lot.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

TheMostUnknown
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 May 2017, 5:55 pm

I feel ya. I can relate 100%. Working full time then going to school can put a lot on your mind and body. I worked and went to community college. I tried to get my 2 year degree. It's tough and what I hate about it is that it's so hard to balance everything out. I give you a lot of credit because you said you was working on your Bachelor's Degree. I can't imagine myself going to a university because that means I have to be at a school at least 4 (and for some people more) years taking class after class and doing countless research papers and there's a chance (depending on your major) that I might not even get the job I'm majored in after I graduate.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 6:03 pm

Eat mixed nuts, unless you're allergic to nuts. I look for the large packages at grocery stores to find the best unit price. Eating a small handful each day did something to prevent mental burnout for me when I recently got my Bachelor's.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 10:31 pm

can you take fewer units and graduate later?

b/c quite frankly, some articles claim that about half of college graduates work at jobs that require a degree.

likewise i got a bachelors of arts in Cognitive Science. 10 years ago. wasted 6 years. 2.19 out of 4.0 gpa. at UC san diego.

and since then, got a couple jobs. all of them minimum wage or barely above. none required that degree. none required a BA. none required an Associates of Arts. almost all of them fired me.

some dude told me he got a Masters in Math and then worked at Oracle as a Software Engineer for 17 years. then he told me his whole division got laid off. he had no choice but to work for one year at Trader Joes. stocking shelves. 14 dollars an hour. barely above minimum wage. and then he got a 15 dollar an hour job as a Precalculus Tutor at Sylvan Learning Center. 15 dollars an hour. minimum wage in that city is about 12 dollars in hour. in that year.

and Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and Mark Zuckerberg do not have Bachelors degrees, but they earned a lot of $$.

the college is a business. universities have to earn money. they do not and cannot guarantee students will get jobs that make their student loans worthwhile.

the whole notion of "college is for everyone" kind of gets on my nerves. if that were correct, then why not make college part of K-12?

colleges know full well there are plenty of college majors that do not directly relate to any job whatsoever. with a bachelors in psychology or anthropology or acting or art, what can someone do? be a psychologist? that requires a phd. an anthropologist, actor, or artist? how many of those are there in the world and how much do they earn?

quite frankly nobody knows if your degree will be worth the effort.

and mine certainly was not worth the effort. it was not worth any effort. it had awesome parts to it. but for the purpose of :lol: cost benefit analysis. 8) . certainly not. zero. zip. nada. would not do again. especially not at that school. san diego was so homophobic. even 10 years later. in berkeley, i still obsess about san diego's homophobia.

likewise stress, pressure, tension. compression. of school. on the quarter system.

got on academic probation 7 times or something. subject to academic dismissal.

and then i did not get my autism diagnosis til age 21. likewise with Gender Identity Disorder and clinical depression. and then of course i wonder what other diagnoses i qualify for, that i just have not received yet.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

but "the point of no return".

since you are scheduled to graduate in December, might as well finish. worthwhile or not.

:)

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 9:07 am

I feel for you. I worked my way through community college and then transferred to university. Then I started having medical problems. In the last three years, I went from being able-bodied to paraplegic to quadriplegic. So, I didn't have to worry about working but doing physical rehab and going to school was a Motherf***er. Just getting around campus was so hard and I wanted to quit many times. But, I stuck with it and finally managed to finish. If I can do it, anybody can.

You gotta do what you gotta do, but it sounds like you are really close. I'd say go ahead and finish, especially if you have loans. If you're really burned-out, take the summer off and do some selfcare. Even if it delays your graduation, it would probably be worth it and help you finish stronger.

Good luck.