Anyone here been unfairly blocked by Wikipedia?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

JVM23
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2017, 11:53 am

I put this question to you because today I received a one week block for creating articles on obscure titles (there is a Wiki Essay written on 'Overzealous Deletion' which advises that obscure topics should not be a valid reason for deleting articles) and incivility to others (when I was simply voicing my displeasure at how BS Wikipedia's admin rules and article deletion policies are). It also doesn't help that I have not disclosed my AS, mostly due to the stigma we suffer on social media and the limited understanding some people have (claiming you're using it as 'an excuse'). I now know where most people are coming from when they comment at how much downhill Wikipedia has gone over the years. Anyone else had this problem?

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 2:08 pm

I don't have any personal experience but I know someone who tried to maintain a page for an organisation they run and gave up in the end as everything was constantly being flagged\deleted. I think Wikipedia is one of those things that has reached critical mass and no-longer works.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 1:33 am

My Uncle got blocked for editing an article on theoretical chemistry. He has a doctorate in the subject. After a long heated discussion with them they had to admit he was right and issued an apology. 8)
I think you need to decide if it's worth fighting about. My Uncle felt it was. He was smiling for days after the apology. They picked on the wrong HFA person. :lol:

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 3:02 pm

^ Cool story.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 10:28 pm

Well... I tried to improve an article once, and it was nominated for deletion some time after, for missing references and other stuff. I checked it and found out that the guy who nominated it for deletion was also that very guy who vandalized it and removed the references from that page. The page was deleted anyway.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 12:27 am

This is not an isolated incident nor is it uncommon. See : Astro-Turfing...

traven
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 1:09 am

the incidental correction, once i made an account and translated an article, it was imidiately removed and my account too, on a sundaymorning by a c***, (on DEW, such a thing doesn't exist in dutch, ofcourse), but i see government putting its people in this, oh no ofcourse thats not a surprise !?

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 5:43 am

There has been loads in infighting within Wiki the last few years which has resulted in many volunteers leaving due to ongoing bullying and pushing of personal agendas, thus defeating the wonderful beauty of what made Wiki great to start with.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 7:22 am

I saw the video. Though this isn't Wikipedia, my mother has told me that she's absolutely sure some of her Twitter pages that she's forwarded to people have gone missing. She's very much into politics and is left-wing. She thinks that our information is being messed with.

Comments on Yahoo! news articles (though who would want to read those?) are messed with too.

I've also noticed not all Facebook comments show on pages. I wonder if this is another branch of this surveillance too.

So if they're trying to confuse everybody (which they're doing well at) the only people pointing out what they're doing, are just spreading the news (which is good), but how do people stop this intrusion of freedom of information?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 7:30 am

smudge wrote:
So if they're trying to confuse everybody (which they're doing well at) the only people pointing out what they're doing, are just spreading the news (which is good), but how do people stop this intrusion of freedom of information?

I wonder if the people could create their own news channel, or newspaper, where it highlights stuff like this to people.

Or should we all give up because there's too many sheep around? :? I mean, people respond best when there's fighting and bashing of a non-conforming group, rather than wanting to learn new things.

I mean, the BBC is "helping" people to understand by simplifying things (did anyone see that programme on ADHD and how "Ritalin really wasn't as bad as they made it out to be"? Without even questioning it. Promoting it much? Was that what the whole programme was created for, I wonder?).

I mean, from their POV, they have the right idea. They know they can get to people by dumbing things down, and that is exactly what they've been doing. Their documentaries now are terrible and have about a fraction of the information they used to contain.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 7:51 am

Wikipediocracy ( http://wikipediocracy.com/ ) is a haven for those who despise Wikipedia and its incomprehensible guidelines and policies.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)