tried to go on a trip today, ended up going back home

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

gee_dee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 May 2017, 3:12 pm

So annoyed with myself, I decided to get out the house for a while (there's been a rare stretch of sunny warm weather where I'm from) and go camping for the first time in ages, and the first time ever on my own. It took a long time to work myself up to doing it, preparing what I needed to take, the route, the destination, etc. I finally left the house and basically everything felt like it was going against me.

I felt incredibly self-conscious hauling my camping gear around, as I normally hate feeling conspicuous, and I even got a couple of smart-ass remarks about it which I couldn't even work out except I could hear it was about my stuff. I got the train to the harbour where I was meant to be taking a ferry to where I was planning to camp, arriving ten minutes before departure to get a ticket, only to be told that the gangway had already been lifted so I couldn't board. The next ferry would be in a few hours but I ended up being quite rude, due to being flustered by the unexpected obstacle, at the ticket office, so I couldn't bring myself to go back there again. I ended up lagging all my stuff home in defeat, wondering why I'd even bothered to put myself out like that. Now all I have to show for my day are red marks on my shoulders and arms from all my stuff chaffing against me.

I keep trying to make myself do things other than stay at home, and even staying at home is increasingly hard due to a neighbour making constant noise upstairs, so basically I've been at a constant level of frustration and irritation for the past few months. If I stay in I end up getting wound up and unable to concentrate due to the distraction (creaking floorboards is one of the things that triggers my misophonia), but then if I go out I get overwhelmed by the sensory overload and being surrounded by people. There is literally nowhere I can reliably go anymore where I'm not bombarded with some form of stress and anxiety.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 7:57 pm

I'm sorry it worked out that way for you. Have you thought about noise cancelling earplugs for in your apartment. Having someone walking around over my head would drive me mad too.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 12:15 pm

It couldn't be helped. I would also rather go back home than wait 5 hours for a ferry. Don't worry about that. It's not your fault and you did well, luck just wasn't on your side. Consider it a small victory actually - you managed to travel a train with all the stuff around! It's a lot compared to what you are used to. You managed to leave your comfort zone so you made a step forward.

How about you find a place you can go that is not that far away but where you don't have to deal with people? Maybe some park, forest, riverside? When I were younger I would often ride a bike around my city, finding interesting places with no people around, to have a picnic there.
It was pre-internet time though. Now I am too addicted to leave the house "just" to have a picnic somewhere. LOL