Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 May 2017, 5:59 am

GoonSquad wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Clinton would have made a great President. She had such an inspirational vision. Hopefully when the Democrats win in 2020 they'll put someone in the White House who can finally carry it out. Failing that, whoever takes over at the end of their term in 2028.

Not to derail this thread, but are you serious?

I'm genuinely interested to know what you find inspiring about her.

As far as I can see, Clinton is a politician in the worst sense of the word.

And if you'll read the article I linked to in my thread about "understanding obama-trump voters" you'll see that there is some compelling research to suggest that the dems will never regain power if they cling to Clinton style policies.

Her policies were great. She combined sensible, evidence-based economic and scientific policies with a progressive social policy vision.

I'm not going to go through her manifesto point-by-point and point out all the great things (it's pretty safe to say that I agree with almost everything in there), but I think it's encapsulated by that speech she gave promising "a hemispheric common market, with open trade and open borders, powered by the greenest possible energy, powering growth and opportunity for everyone". I'm paraphrasing but I think that includes all the pertinent points. That's such an inspiring vision that goes beyond what you normally get from politicians, which is a little bit of tinkering here and there; radical thoughts tend to be conservative and close minded rather than positive and progressive. Hillary is a truly great woman.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 7:56 am

The_Walrus wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Clinton would have made a great President. She had such an inspirational vision. Hopefully when the Democrats win in 2020 they'll put someone in the White House who can finally carry it out. Failing that, whoever takes over at the end of their term in 2028.

And if you'll read the article I linked to in my thread about "understanding obama-trump voters" you'll see that there is some compelling research to suggest that the dems will never regain power if they cling to Clinton style policies.

Her policies were great. She combined sensible, evidence-based economic and scientific policies with a progressive social policy vision.

I'm not going to go through her manifesto point-by-point and point out all the great things (it's pretty safe to say that I agree with almost everything in there), but I think it's encapsulated by that speech she gave promising "a hemispheric common market, with open trade and open borders, powered by the greenest possible energy, powering growth and opportunity for everyone". I'm paraphrasing but I think that includes all the pertinent points. That's such an inspiring vision that goes beyond what you normally get from politicians, which is a little bit of tinkering here and there; radical thoughts tend to be conservative and close minded rather than positive and progressive. Hillary is a truly great woman.

If Hillary is "truly a great woman" then EXPLAIN THIS:

AND THIS!

-Thomas Jefferson

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 8:02 am

I'm withholding judgement for now, because, although Trump has said things and signed things, I haven't seen their effect.

I've seen a lot of alarmism from journalists, and then from members of the public, but I haven't seen any effect negative or positive from Trump's actions.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 10:42 am

BetwixtBetween wrote:
I'm withholding judgement for now, because, although Trump has said things and signed things, I haven't seen their effect.

I've seen a lot of alarmism from journalists, and then from members of the public, but I haven't seen any effect negative or positive from Trump's actions.

Exacly! Which is why I always find suspicious when people still label Donald Trump being "evil" when nothing bad happened bacause of him (yet)

The closest thing that I would consider it be a bad this is when he ordered that attack on Syria which resulted in Putin warning him that he would go to war if he were to attack Syria again (It's the cold war all over again).

-Thomas Jefferson

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 May 2017, 6:11 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
If Hillary is "truly a great woman" then EXPLAIN THIS:

AND THIS!

I think I can help. YouTube is a website which is used to host videos. Anyone can upload videos there. While many of the videos are entertaining, there is no guarantee of quality. In particular, while some YouTube videos can be informative, the site is notorious for the stupidity of its userbase. There is no formal system of fact-checking, and few users have anything to lose from repeating lies.

The old maxim that any claim made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence still holds true on YouTube.

If you would like to make specific claims in text form then go ahead. I am not going to watch some moron on YouTube ranting for over ten minutes and systematically debunk everything he gets wrong for you. I am not a fact-checking service.

A good way to check whether something is true is sticking it into a search engine and seeing whether it is supported by any reliable sources. Is the claim repeated on the websites of reputable news outlets? That's not quite foolproof, but it's a good first step. You can also try websites like snopes, FullFact, Politifact, and Fact Check.

Another good shortcut is asking yourself how likely it is to be true. Is it likely that a former First Lady would have ties to terrorist groups? Probably not, and if they did, we'd probably have heard about it. Demand better evidence when someone says something that seems unlikely to you.

Again, if you'd like to transcribe any particular points that these videos make so I can respond, then be my guest. I am not going to respond to the whole video for you. Safe to say I put no stock in random people's lunatic raving.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 10:01 am

Hillary is certainly not a "great" women.

But I feel she has the smarts and experience to navigate what's going on internationally--while Trump is really "learning on the job."

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 4:18 pm

Frankly, he doing a good job of making this country a pariah (which needs to happen, and none too soon. Just as the former Soviet Union dropped the Iron Curtain around the countries in its sphere of influence, the US needs to drop a Lexan Curtain around it's borders. The US needs to completely isolate itself from the world.)

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 8:13 am

Sweetleaf wrote:

Well how would blocking them gaining more economic success help with any of that?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here... But, all other sorts of power--military, political, cultural--come from economic power.

Some country will dominate, and I'd rater see continued American hegemony than Chinese hegemony. America is certainly not perfect, but no other nation in history has ever wielded so much power, so benevolently.

Quote:
And what exactly can the U.S do to even accomplish that anyways?...funnel money into other asian countries in an effort to help them catch up? ban any good from china coming to the U.S until they quit improving their economy? neither of those seem like very good ideas in the long run.

At least North Korea isn't economically dominating Asia....

No, we just keep doing what we've been doing for the last century. We trade with all those Asian countries forming strong economic and political ties. We keep those other Asian countries on our side, we take their money (by selling them American goods and services) and we keep China contained.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 8:32 am

The_Walrus wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that...

Actually, I was thinking about that very speech when I said she was a politician in the worst sense of the word.

That speech was made in private and only became public due to the Russians/wiki leaks. Her public position was much more protectionist--such as her PUBLIC position against the TPP, which was obviously BS.

I'm all for fair and free trade, but the big problem with center-right Democrats like Clinton is that they are not willing to make sure that EVERYONE benefits from this trade. Until and unless the Democrats get back to looking after the economic interests of the common people, they will NEVER get back into power, and they shouldn't...

See my thread on Obama-Trump voters.

viewtopic.php?t=342349

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 4:21 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
sly279 wrote:
He put a stop to the illegal societal security administration gun ban and appointed a good replacement Supreme Court judge.

Reading up on this Supreme Court Judge he doesn't seem like a good replacement at all...just what we need an extremely conservative christian who panders to people who think birth control is immoral :roll:. Here is a freaking idea if you don't believe in birth control don't use it, but some of us don't want that stupidity imposed on us via making access to it much more difficult.
a conservative judge to replace a conservative judge there by keeping balance. Sorry but a majority liberal progressive court would been horrible for Americans rights. So far he goes by the letter of the law not his personal opinions, congress makes laws, not the Supreme Court.

Also for your argument gun rights people like myself been saying just that for 30 years. Don't like guns, then don't own one, but don't force use to not be able to own guns.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 7:51 am

The_Walrus wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I don't hate Hillary. I grew up around women who are a lot like her, including close relatives. I would probably get along passably with her and be able to have serious policy discussions. I also think it's obvious that a lot of the hostility directed toward her was hyperbolic and even ludicrous. That said, I don't find her even mildly inspiring. To wit:

She was proud of America's hit-and-run war in Libya. When Gaddafi was executed by a roadside, her response was to channel a caricature of Julius Caesar and say "I came. I saw. He's dead." I can't imagine even George "Old Blood and Guts" Patton saying something that cheap when the bodies are still being picked up. (Those bodies included fathers who were sent home to their kids in pieces, and plenty of kids as well.) There's something quite unfit about an aspiring Commander in Chief who sees that as a good time for cheesy, self-promoting quips.

Her intellectual circle is narrow and her confidence in people (and even her curiosity about them) seemed overly influenced by their social caste. Joe Biden would have no trouble talking with a blue collar worker and making intelligent decisions about what he heard. That doesn't mean believing it uncritically, but understanding it and combing it for insights. Hillary seems more comfortable with executive summaries and expert briefings, and not very comfortable going down into the weeds to keep her advisors honest.

(That's probably what kept her from understanding why her economic policies weren't popular. A little research on spending habits would have shown her that a lot of people aren't big consumers of imported manufactured goods. A contractor who still uses a 30-year-old Makita drill won't be too worried about the import taxes he paid on it.)

She's in denial about her own privilege. By almost any concrete measure, US women are in a strong socioeconomic position: They live longer than men. When they run for office, they win at a higher rate than men. They can hold high military commands but don't have to register for the draft. They can collect alimony even if they're qualified to work and there are lucrative jobs available to them. They can end an unwanted pregnancy for any reason, or collect child support regardless of the circumstances of conception. (Women who committed statutory rape against underage boys and got pregnant have successfully collected child support from their victims.)

Someone with that many perks should feel fortunate, but Hillary ran on a promise to put women on an equal footing. That's like promising to free evangelical Christians in Texas from state persecution.

So I really don't find her in the least bit inspiring.