My Son Is Trying To Ignore His Disability

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 9:13 pm

My 19 year old son has Asperger's Syndrome. Yesterday he told me that his solution is just to ignore it. It is possible that this can work for him? He was diagnosed at 5 years old. I've worked with the school district to make sure that he had all the supports he needed to be successful at school. Overall he had a good experience. Most of the students were kind and understanding to him. He made one friend of a student who is also on the spectrum.

He's just finishing his first year at a community college and has done well there. He talks to many students but doesn't see any of them outside of school. I worry that he spends too much time with my husband and myself during the evenings and weekends. In the hopes of helping him to have more of a social life with his peers, he's going to board at school for one semester next year. This will also help him to become more independent so that he'll be able to board at a 4 year college the following year.

My question is, "How can I help him to accept his disability and learn to cope with it rather than to just ignore it?

It's possible that he feels like your definition of him...as someone with a disability, is hindering him, and that he needs to define himself to really thrive in life. I don't think you need to do anything except support him in his decisions on this.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 11:45 am

My question is, "How can I help him to accept his disability and learn to cope with it rather than to just ignore it?

I have NOT read this entire thread, but wanted to add my two-cents-worth.....

What if he HAS accepted his disability, and has chosen to ignore it? I think that's a GOOD thing----quite healthy and wise, IMO----there's nothing he can do about it (as in, he can't be UNautistic); so, why not!!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 2:15 pm

I am not sure what it means to ignore your disability. Does it mean not let it define you? Does it mean not let it stop you and limit you because of what the books say about it? Does it mean not dwell on it and fret over thinking everyday what you are doing is because of your diagnoses or because it's just part of being you or even thinking "would an Asperger's person make this choice or a normal person?" Or does it mean pretend he doesn't have any problems so he won't work on anything to improve to help him in life to be functional and just blame all his problems on society and pretend it's everyone else's fault you know having the victim complex?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 12:51 am

Well I don't have a problem with someone not accepting a disabilty label. My son has High Functioning Autism rather than Aspergers. He also has Poland anomaly which means he had a blockage of the subclavian artery in utero so his right hand never developed and he is missing the pec major muscle on that side too so he a bit lopsided. When he was born we didn't know he had HFA, just that he had Poland anomaly. A social worker wanted to sign him up for a disability support pension and I refused. She kept saying 'But he's disabled!' I told her she was dumb and that was a bigger disability than anything my son had. We banned the word disabled around him. He is different, not less. When you disable an engine it means you stop it working. If I had to use a word to describe my son I would use handicapped because in horse racing a handicapped race means some of the horses carry a greater burden and this is how I see my son. He is running in the same race as everyone else, he just does it with a greater burden.
He now lives in Japan. He won a full scholarship from the Japanese government to the University and course of his choice. He is a smart cookie. He is studying law and aims to be a human rights lawyer and specialize in disabled rights. He does not view himself as disabled but wants to help those who suffer abuse and discrimination because they are different.
He has a mission statement on the wall above his desk that says

Give voice to the voiceless,
Comfort the afflicted,
Afflict the comfortable.

He is one cool dude 8) He accepts himself for who he is, not what other people want him to be. He says labels are for boxes not people. They allow people to be lazy and not bother seeing and getting to know the individual. I think he's right. :)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 9:07 pm

Bunnyb,

Your son has a great attitude. I wish him all the best in life.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 11:18 am

My advice is to just let him know that this is the age when people are typically learning two things:
• academic skills/knowledge for school / vocational skills for work, and
• life skills for becoming independent.

Many people fail to mention the life skills, probably because it seems so obvious, because some people can learn it without consciously studying or practicing. But everyone (whether they have a learning disability or not) has a different learning style. Some people learn best verbally; some people learn best visually; some people learn best manually...

He may need to consciously study and practice life skills. By this, I mean that he may need to take a class, or read a self-help book, or make it his personal project using trial and error. It is up to him to decide that, but it is also up to him to be honest with himself about his needs in this.

I wish someone had noticed and told me that I need to be taught things explicitly, that I need to learn things consciously, and that I struggle with life skills. Everyone always only focused on academic skills and vocational skills. So, when I graduated university, and tried to move out on my own, I failed.

It has taken several years for me to figure out what was wrong with me (why I failed so horribly). Now I am slowly learning what I should have learned back in college and university. Meanwhile, my degree is worthless.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 12:38 pm

Knofskia,

Your post could practically be mine, word for word. I feel absolutely unequipped to do anything and feel completely worthless right now, despite having a university education. I am aware of my status, in terms of life experience, as the dummy in every room I'm in. Even those who say they goofed off in school when they were younger are so far ahead of me in adult life that I could never hope to catch up.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 9:59 pm

I am sorry that you are dealing with this too, IstominFan.

I can only focus on one thing at a time. Whenever I focus on accomplishing anything, everything else gets neglected. If I try to improve something that was previously neglected, then the first thing gets neglected along with everything else.

For all 18 years of my school career, my focus was academics, and only academics. I did not get enough nutrition, any exercise, adequate hygiene, any friends, or fulfilling hobbies because I had no spare time, mental resources, or energy. It was the only way to manage the academic demands.

Now, all of my skills are poor: my academic skills, because I have not practiced them since graduation; all other skills, because I never developed them in the first place.

Dear God, I still cannot work, because, if I were somehow able to get a job out of pure charity, my brain would only be able to focus on the job, neglecting everything else AGAIN. But good luck trying to get Social Security Administration to understand or believe that when you have a Bachelor's degree.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:33 am

Knofskia,

Sorry you are going through such a difficult time.

I realize that, when I read some of the truly daunting obstacles many people on this board go through, that my own difficulties really cause me personal embarrassment. I am fortunate to be in good health, I do work (not full time, but I do have more responsibilities that allow me to interact more with my co-workers) and a greater variety of opportunities for social interaction. A personal issue has been resolved, and I'm ready to get back in the swing of things.

I am still unsure whether I will ever fully apply my educational skills at the highest level, but I am working on it.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 1:00 pm

Thank you, IstominFan.

Do not feel embarrassed though. :) Life is hard, for everyone. We should all be more sympathetic and understanding for (even the little) troubles in life. Not saying that what you are going through is little. :wink:

I just wish the people who say that they are willing and eager to help anyone in need would recognize that I need help even though I and my history does not look stereotypically disabled. :(

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 2:49 pm

I think you already have a lot of great feedback, so there is just one thing I want to add that I'm not sure has mentioned: when you talk about your son's issues with decisions, it strikes me that he may have anxiety as a co-morbid. I think you have a good approach to that already, but sometimes it helps to see issues as having a separate cause, so you can expand your research on possible protocols for fixing them.

My ASD son has been living on campus for 2 years already but he really has never faced anxiety as an issue. We worry about him a whole lot more than he worries about himself. He just moves forward, for good or for bad; whatever. He is involved with the Anime club at school and I'm sure your son could find kindred spirits in that sort of group. My son definitely sees his ASD as part of who he is and long ago structured his life to avoid being overwhelmed by his sensory issues. He also learned tricks to work around his issues and long ago incorporated those into his daily life. However, other than that, I would say he pretty much ignores his ASD. Few of his college friends know he has a diagnosis; there just has been no reason to bring it up. So, as others have noted, whether or not you should worry about your son's intent to ignore his ASD depends on what he means by that. I agree with the others that it most likely is a good thing at this phase in his life, but I cannot be sure without knowing exactly what he thinks it means.

My mostly NT daughter, however, does suffer from anxiety and we've found it can be quite debilitating. It is the anxiety that stops her from moving forward, and sometimes from meeting even the most basic of obligations. I am finding it incredibly challenging to deal with, but that is largely because she is so layered, with so much built-in self-defense. I could always trust my ASD son to tell me what he is thinking, and although I usually needed to do a little "translating" to understand what he really meant, his insights into himself were solid. With my daughter it isn't like that; everything is covered in multiple self-defense layers, where she lies even to herself, and I've assumed that is because she is NT, but I don't really know. If anxiety is playing a role in your son's issues, you may want to consider working with a professional to see if it can be alleviated.

I will note that I would not want my daughter away from us while she is going through this; I don't trust her to cope with what life throws at her. For better or for worse I know my son will just plow through it, but my daughter will lock herself in her room, immerse in videos, and hide from the world. If she wasn't nearby, I wouldn't even know if she hit a phase; she would so easily lie about it. Just to give you some comparison on how I feel about the issues and their affect on living independently.

As for being taken advantage of, I've steeled my son against much, but to a large degree it can fall into "what is the worst thing that will happen?" category, IMHO. If a friend is good at conning him into always buying the coffee, it isn't a big deal. But if he were to get cat-fished on the internet, that would be a big deal. Since he seems to be aware of the big things, I feel pretty good about him on this score.

Anyway, best of luck to you. All children learn and grow at their own pace, and staying in tune with your son, talking and listening to him, will help you know what he is ready for.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 4:23 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
I think you already have a lot of great feedback, so there is just one thing I want to add that I'm not sure has mentioned: when you talk about your son's issues with decisions, it strikes me that he may have anxiety as a co-morbid. I think you have a good approach to that already, but sometimes it helps to see issues as having a separate cause, so you can expand your research on possible protocols for fixing them.

My ASD son has been living on campus for 2 years already but he really has never faced anxiety as an issue. We worry about him a whole lot more than he worries about himself. He just moves forward, for good or for bad; whatever. He is involved with the Anime club at school and I'm sure your son could find kindred spirits in that sort of group. My son definitely sees his ASD as part of who he is and long ago structured his life to avoid being overwhelmed by his sensory issues. He also learned tricks to work around his issues and long ago incorporated those into his daily life. However, other than that, I would say he pretty much ignores his ASD. Few of his college friends know he has a diagnosis; there just has been no reason to bring it up. So, as others have noted, whether or not you should worry about your son's intent to ignore his ASD depends on what he means by that. I agree with the others that it most likely is a good thing at this phase in his life, but I cannot be sure without knowing exactly what he thinks it means.

My mostly NT daughter, however, does suffer from anxiety and we've found it can be quite debilitating. It is the anxiety that stops her from moving forward, and sometimes from meeting even the most basic of obligations. I am finding it incredibly challenging to deal with, but that is largely because she is so layered, with so much built-in self-defense. I could always trust my ASD son to tell me what he is thinking, and although I usually needed to do a little "translating" to understand what he really meant, his insights into himself were solid. With my daughter it isn't like that; everything is covered in multiple self-defense layers, where she lies even to herself, and I've assumed that is because she is NT, but I don't really know. If anxiety is playing a role in your son's issues, you may want to consider working with a professional to see if it can be alleviated.

I will note that I would not want my daughter away from us while she is going through this; I don't trust her to cope with what life throws at her. For better or for worse I know my son will just plow through it, but my daughter will lock herself in her room, immerse in videos, and hide from the world. If she wasn't nearby, I wouldn't even know if she hit a phase; she would so easily lie about it. Just to give you some comparison on how I feel about the issues and their affect on living independently.

As for being taken advantage of, I've steeled my son against much, but to a large degree it can fall into "what is the worst thing that will happen?" category, IMHO. If a friend is good at conning him into always buying the coffee, it isn't a big deal. But if he were to get cat-fished on the internet, that would be a big deal. Since he seems to be aware of the big things, I feel pretty good about him on this score.

Anyway, best of luck to you. All children learn and grow at their own pace, and staying in tune with your son, talking and listening to him, will help you know what he is ready for.

It's interesting that you mention that your son doesn't experience anxiety but your NT daughter does. Growing up, I think my parents worried a lot more about me than my NT siblings, however I turned out to be the most steadfast among not just my siblings, but my cousins as well. The thing about having an ASD is it can have an insulating effect. I'm not devoid of emotions of course, but I'm not as emotionally in tune to my surroundings as most people and a drama could be unfolding around me and it might as well be a show on TV in the background. I was at an event about cancer once, during which the speaker aired a documentary she had made on her cancer. At some point during this I realized everyone around me was crying. Of course I realized they found it sad and I understood why, but I didn't feel sad because the woman survived and I knew this ahead of time as she was sitting up there on the stage. I did have a lot of anxiety growing up, however much of this was due to my environment. I have a need for some degree of structure and predictability and my family life was lacking in that area. Now that I am grown and have my own place, I can control the variables I need to control, such as my schedule and my wardrobe and so on. Anyway, my life is generally like this...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 5:38 am

Let him "ignore" his Aspergers--but watch him like a hawk when he goes away to college for the first time (but don't let him know that you're watching him!)

Kids frequently have problems with time management when they first go away to college. He might also want to seem "normal," so he might go to underage drinking parties and do foolish college antics. This will affect his grades. his nutrition might suffer, and he might feel depressed and homesick.

My nephew flunked out his first year, then went to a "commuter" community college, where he did well. Then, lesson learned, he succeeded at a large dorm/apartment type large university.

You do have to keep track of him, I believe. What I mentioned are the pitfalls experienced by NORMAL young people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 6:13 am

That's me in a nutshell! I would not have been sad, either, because the person survived the ordeal of cancer.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 12:01 pm

Quote:
It's interesting that you mention that your son doesn't experience anxiety but your NT daughter does. Growing up, I think my parents worried a lot more about me than my NT siblings, however I turned out to be the most steadfast among not just my siblings, but my cousins as well. The thing about having an ASD is it can have an insulating effect. I'm not devoid of emotions of course, but I'm not as emotionally in tune to my surroundings as most people and a drama could be unfolding around me and it might as well be a show on TV in the background. I was at an event about cancer once, during which the speaker aired a documentary she had made on her cancer. At some point during this I realized everyone around me was crying. Of course I realized they found it sad and I understood why, but I didn't feel sad because the woman survived and I knew this ahead of time as she was sitting up there on the stage. I did have a lot of anxiety growing up, however much of this was due to my environment. I have a need for some degree of structure and predictability and my family life was lacking in that area. Now that I am grown and have my own place, I can control the variables I need to control, such as my schedule and my wardrobe and so on.

Thanks for sharing all that! I know that anxiety is common with ASD, but somehow my son escaped it. He, too, does better overall now that he is old enough to choose his environment and knows what to avoid. While he didn't have anxiety, he did get sensory overload quite easily. Whether or not the OPs son has anxiety and/or self-awareness on the sensory issues will both make a big difference on his ability to handle college independently.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 28 Jun 2017, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 12:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Let him "ignore" his Aspergers--but watch him like a hawk when he goes away to college for the first time (but don't let him know that you're watching him!)

Kids frequently have problems with time management when they first go away to college. He might also want to seem "normal," so he might go to underage drinking parties and do foolish college antics. This will affect his grades. his nutrition might suffer, and he might feel depressed and homesick.

My nephew flunked out his first year, then went to a "commuter" community college, where he did well. Then, lesson learned, he succeeded at a large dorm/apartment type large university.

You do have to keep track of him, I believe. What I mentioned are the pitfalls experienced by NORMAL young people.

You are absolutely right! The executive function skills are difficult.

My son programed his own management system (he considered that a "fun" summer project) but he still forgot to show up for work one day (thankfully the boss forgave him).

It makes a big difference, I think, how self-aware the individual is. We spent literally a lifetime noting things he needed help with and talking about how those could get filled in once he was living on his own.

To the OP: that part of ASD one can never ignore, knowing what needs to be worked around and backed up, although everyone has to do that, don't they?