Late diagnosis - still trying to figure it all out!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

cherryduck
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2017, 9:02 am

Hi there. I was diagnosed last week at the age of 27. I cried when I got my diagnosis. Just relief and confusion I think!

I didn't read up beforehand because if I wasn't aspie then it would be wasted effort. Having started reading everything I can now there are SO many things I had NO idea were typically aspie, and not just me being awkward and difficult!

I feel a lot less alone already. Knowing I'm not alone in how I think and process. Knowing that some of my experiences which nobody else could understand try as they might, are actually experiences some people are familiar with. I've always felt different. "Wrong Planet" is exactly it! I used to fantasise as a child that I was an alien studying humans in disguise and one day "my people" would come for me and we would laugh about the crazy things these "human" creatures do.

Very early days so I'm researching, figuring out what this means for me. But I am hopeful, now I have the information and the tools to improve further, I've done so much on my own already but felt I'd gotten about as far as I could, and what was left I had no idea how to tackle!

Nice to (virtually) meet you all, my fellow aliens :D

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 9:31 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. c:

cherryduck
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2017, 2:19 pm

Thank you :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 4:05 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

doublelife89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 May 2017, 9:25 am

Hi!

I can totally relate! I myself have just received a diagnosis at the age of 28.

Similar to you I feel relief but also confusion, its a lot to take in. xx

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2017, 9:43 am

I was diagnosed at 42, but the signs were always there and were so obvious to anyone who knew what Asperger's/autism was. I feel like I was cheated out of a productive life. Now I get to start over, though, and hold myself to the proper standard. I'm not an unsuccessful normal person. I'm a super successful Aspie. Congratulations on your diagnosis. It explains everything now, doesn't it? It's remarkable how obvious it is, looking back. I hope this helps you enjoy your time here observing the humans. You were never meant to be one of them. You are one of us, and we're glad you found the mothership.

The_Blode
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2017, 6:22 am

^ welcome to the community. . .there are lots and lots of cases similar to the above. . .mine included. . .hope you find your way mate. . .

cherryduck
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 May 2017, 7:32 am

pasty, thank you! That's exactly it. You get me precisely and you've put into words perfectly how I feel. My diagnosis has flipped what was my biggest weakness into a source of pride. I'm not someone who is like everyone else but struggles because I'm a weak and or terrible person, unable to cope with what everyone else manages fine. I'm an aspie, who has done remarkably well all on his own with no support or understanding.

I'm actually really touched by your closing lines, thanks for making me feel welcome and part of something. This is the first time EVER I've felt I belong somewhere. It's a weird feeling to go through almost 28 years of life feeling different and separate and then to suddenly find "my" people. It's a really good feeling.